The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » The MOST Annoying Vent Habit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Quote:
On 2013-08-20 16:53, Dickens & Dave wrote:
Quote:
... it's an argument never going to be resolved among ventriloquists.

Actually, it's not an argument among ventriloquists.

I don't understand what you're saying Dave. I'm a ventriloquist, you're a ventriloquist, Ben's a ventriloquist... we're all ventriloquists here, and unless I completely misconstrue this discussion, we seem to be debating, discussing, arguing that point. Although, granted, it's kind of off topic from the thread, so maybe we shouldn't be... but we are, as far as I can tell.

Can I just say one more thing and I'll drop it. When I said I think comedy trumps lip control, and the other things I've been saying about the place of lip control in the art, I never said it wasn't important. You guys seem to be reading me that way, like I don't think it's worth bothering with. I didn't say that, I never have. For the record, my lip control's pretty good. It's never been my biggest challenge in vent. Maybe that's why I dismiss it as not being terribly important, it comes fairly easy to me. I mean, I have to practice or I do get sloppy, but generally I find it not too difficult. Now comedy, that's hard, and really, really developing an authentic character, good stage presence, excellent material, timing, delivery... to me, those things are hard. I work on them, and my act is pretty funny and my characters are pretty good, but if I'm honest with myself (and I try to be or I don't get better), the thing that separates me from the 1st and 2nd tier guys isn't my lip control, it's my comedy. So that's what I'm working hardest on. There are 2nd tier guys ( I won't say who ) who don't have great lip control but they're funny, and they're making a living at it. Which is what I'm doing too, it's just not a good enough living yet. So I ask myself, you know, how do I get to the next level? I work on the act, all parts of it. To use the analogy you borrowed from me Dave, I can play the instrument fairly well, but the songbook needs work.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
By the way, Neale, you're right, the joke works much better that way. You've got a knack for good dialogue.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
Completely get what you're saying David Smile

I guess for me personally ventriloquism is an art that I want to remain as it should be and that's a source of entertainment by way of bringing an inanimate object to life without moving one's lips. I'd hate to see it be reduced to anything less. Ventriloquism isn't always about comedy and can be used for many other purposes like getting a message through about a certain social cause, etc. It can be used as a source for education and so much more, but of course it's quintessential purpose is as an entertainment source and comedy is a portion of the many portions that makes a person a ventriloquist.

Heck I didn't train for years to do what I do so some person with a hand puppet can stand next me, waving that puppet around and freely moving his lips and then call himself a ventriloquist. I don't call myself a magician simply because I can do a couple of card tricks. Smile
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » The MOST Annoying Vent Habit (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL