The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » A hello and many thanks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Hello,
My name is Daniel and I'm new here. I apologize in advance for the long-windedness.
I'm primarily a twister though I've done hundreds of kids magic shows and face painting when I was an entertainer in the 90's.
Recently my job ended due to the fact that store that I worked in closed. It was a toy store in an affluent area of Manhattan. I decided to go into entertaining full time for two reasons.
First of all I freely admit I'm a terrible "employee' in that I can't follow an order that I know to be wrong which can cause problems. Not a big deal on my last job since the owner was rarely there. It was a problem on my previous "corporate" job as you can imagine, with all the rules and systems which often defy common sense.

The second and more important reason is that I LOVE DOING THIS! I love interacting with kids since I'm basically a big kid at heart. Although I'm kinda shy it goes away when I'm in front of an audience. People tell me I'm funny. I don't see it, but what do I know. I open my mouth and people start laughing.
Last year, when I could see the writing on the wall as far as the store closing was concerned, I started busking in my spare time and was surprised at how good the money was. Without going into actual amounts, I could easily double my regular salary in half the time, and my salary wasn't peanuts.

Anyway, since making the plunge, I've had business cards made and am creating a website and a Facebook page. I'll post links when they are done and would welcome criticism. (I'm very thick skinned.)
My strategy is to market myself primarily in Manhattan. I made connections with many of the customers that came into the store and was sure to get their info. I also know all the PTA people in the schools in the area. From the few conversations I've had they are excited that I'm doing this so unless I screw up I should be able to network myself effectively though them.

I'm currently researching various magic tricks for a comedy magic show aimed at kids. I'm hoping to create a 30 minute set that I can package with balloon twisting and/or face painting. Since getting back into twisting I've increased my repertoire and speed greatly.

So the plan is to get out there and get my card into as many of the right hands as possible, while finishing the website before school starts. Then I'll contact the people I know in the schools to see what we can do for each other. Hopefully I'll be able to build enough momentum to get to where many of you have gotten. If any of you have any advice pertaining to my particular situation I'm always open to learn and I'll hear it gladly.

Now for the thanks.
I've read virtually all the posts here ( on Balloon 101 ) as well as on Balloonanimalforum, Balloonchat.co and BalloonHQ. I'm overwhelmed by the selfless way everyone freely shares their advice. Through these forums, as well as all the Youtube videos I've learned so much. Things that would have taken years to figure out through trial and error, if at all. I can't express my gratitude to people like Buster, Chris, Mark, Dylan and everyone else (please don't be offended if I didn't mention you by name). My gratitude is increased when I think of the fact that you are all very busy, having become very successful through your sweat and blood, and still you come here to offer advice and encouragement.
So to you ALL my most sincere thanks. You are an inspiration. If you ever feel, at times, that your coming here and spending your time doesn't matter, please know that it does. At least to me.

Sincerely,
Dan the Magic Balloon Man
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Very gracious of you to say.

Be SURE to link your website and share some of the pictures of things you are doing. We'd love to see.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Cool - good luck to you.

As far as Balloon Twisting goes, look on Facebook for the group, Balloon Twister Central. It's a super-active forum of twisters.

For magic, my advice is to look for local chapters of the IBM or SAM and start going. There's nothing like meeting with other guys face-to-face, especially since magic is not as open on the internet as balloon twisting is.

Best of luck,

Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » A hello and many thanks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL