The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Doors 'Touch Me" on The Smothers brothers Comedy Hour (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The song was written by Doors guitarist Robby Krieger. It's always been one of my favorite songs. As I got older and learned more about Morrison , I was surprised that Morrison even sang it as it was VERY "pop" sounding with a string and brass background. It's almost a Monkees type song.

They performed in on the Smother's show:

http://youtu.be/VAv6_ZebiN0?t=37s

It was around Christmas time in 1968 and my brother and I both played guitar and were in disagreement over it being played live. We were both confused not knowing that you could sing live to a pre-recorded tape as that was what they did.

We also noticed Robby Krieger had a black eye. Legend has it that Morrison socked him in an argument, but I never heard him or any band member talk about it.

The song also has the tag line at the end "stronger than dirt" which was an Ajax cleaner advertisement saying. I never read or heard a band member talk about why they did that.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Actually, that whole album is the most "produced" sounding of all of The Doors principal albums. I have to say that the lyrics in this great song are a bit cagey. "What was that promise that you made?/Why won't you tell me what she said?" Pretty daring for the time. I've read that Morrison hated that album because it was more lush sounding.

I love when musicians put lyrics into a song but veil them such that the song can mention something that if sang straight out would never get airplay. Penny Lane was one of The Beatles' 27 number one hits - played everywhere then and now. There is a line "four of fish and finger pie" that McCartney stated he put in there for the Liverpool lads. It's not an innocent line at all. Smile

Both eminently great bands. That said, as a musician and also an avid listener of music, I have to ask what the hell happened to rock? True, Black Sabbath's latest album was at number one a few weeks ago on Billboard UK and Billboard US, but, BieberGagaThicke has outdone even the worst excesses of the execrable nightmare known as disco.

Heaven help us!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I envy the people who grew up with the GREAT bands.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Vlad, EXCELLENT lyric observations on my 2 fav bands.

Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel are two of my favorite ALBUMS. There, I said the A word.

I got lucky. I was a kid and my brother, 7 years older, was info the new cutting edge music. They had this new thing called FM on the radio n and they would play entire album sides!

Music died a few years ago.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-07-23 15:36, Zombie Magic wrote:

Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel are two of my favorite ALBUMS. There, I said the A word.

I got lucky. I was a kid and my brother, 7 years older, was info the new cutting edge music. They had this new thing called FM on the radio n and they would play entire album sides!

The Beatles, The Doors, AND magic: you are truly a person of discernment my friend! Smile I know that you are a Beatles fan, but I didn't know you were into The Doors as well! Did you know that The Doors and The Beatles actually met? I'll have to post the story but The Beatles were very much into The Doors music.

I said I envy the people that grew up with the great bands - and I still do - but I wonder if in fact we are more fortunate to have caught these bands after the fact? Sure, people then knew the bands were great but, who knew they would be legends? As a musician, I am still in awe of what bands like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Moody Blues, The Who and some others did; they blazed trails we have yet to follow.

Oh, sorry to tangent but in addition to an all originals band I am in, I just got a job with a Pink Floyd tribute band!!!! Sorry, but I had to share Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
By Sgt. Pepper, there was no doubt The Beatles would be legends. Same for The Who regarding Tommy.

As for disco, well there's the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and then there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYulI2I0Tfo Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-07-23 16:17, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-23 15:36, Zombie Magic wrote:

The Beatles, The Doors, AND magic: you are truly a person of discernment my friend! Smile I know that you are a Beatles fan, but I didn't know you were into The Doors as well! Did you know that The Doors and The Beatles actually met? I'll have to post the story but The Beatles were very much into The Doors music.

I said I envy the people that grew up with the great bands - and I still do - but I wonder if in fact we are more fortunate to have caught these bands after the fact? Sure, people then knew the bands were great but, who knew they would be legends? As a musician, I am still in awe of what bands like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Moody Blues, The Who and some others did; they blazed trails we have yet to follow.

Oh, sorry to tangent but in addition to an all originals band I am in, I just got a job with a Pink Floyd tribute band!!!! Sorry, but I had to share Smile

Vlad, I didn't know about the Beatles meeting the Doors. I'd love to read the story. A Lennon/Morrison meeting would have been very interesting. Two true artists!

I got lucky because my older brother was into the heavy stuff. My folks said no on going upstate for an outdoor concert ( Woodstock ) but I got to go to the Filmore East in NYC with him and see The Band Of Gypsy's new years eve show in 1969, Derek and the Dominos, BB kIng. By 1971 it was closed. Maybe that marked the end of an era.

One of my true loves is blues. Son House, Mississippi Fred McDowel, Chester Burnet ( Howl'in Wolf ), Etta baker. From the Delta to Chicago to Texas. Without it, we have no Rock and Roll.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Amen to the fact that without Blues we would have no Rock.

The Beatles and The Stones had commented many times that they were shocked that Americans were so unaware of the Blues. They thought it very strange that British bands had to wake Americans up to their own music.

Steve Tyler hit it on the head when he said that when he talks to aspiring musicians he always says that to really understand rock, you have to listen to, study, and understand Blues first. Other bands have done this by example. Pink Floyd was originally a Blues band (called themselves the Architectural Ab-Dabs) and the Pink Floyd name is an amalgam of the names of two old time Blues artists: Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

BTW brother, check this out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmn6vWgXS3M

Really wonderful!! (I may have posted this elsewhere in NVMS but it's so good I had to post it again) Smile
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_82GscM3m5E

just watched this just now. Jimmy Fallon imitating Jim Morrison singing the theme for the kids show reading rainbow, too funny!
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Quote:
On 2013-07-23 06:05, Vlad_77 wrote:
Actually, that whole album is the most "produced" sounding of all of The Doors principal albums. I have to say that the lyrics in this great song are a bit cagey. "What was that promise that you made?/Why won't you tell me what she said?" Pretty daring for the time. I've read that Morrison hated that album because it was more lush sounding.

I love when musicians put lyrics into a song but veil them such that the song can mention something that if sang straight out would never get airplay. Penny Lane was one of The Beatles' 27 number one hits - played everywhere then and now. There is a line "four of fish and finger pie" that McCartney stated he put in there for the Liverpool lads. It's not an innocent line at all. Smile

Both eminently great bands. That said, as a musician and also an avid listener of music, I have to ask what the hell happened to rock? True, Black Sabbath's latest album was at number one a few weeks ago on Billboard UK and Billboard US, but, BieberGagaThicke has outdone even the worst excesses of the execrable nightmare known as disco.

Heaven help us!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I envy the people who grew up with the GREAT bands.

I feel your pain Vlad! quality has gone down because the demand for talent has gone down and all that has happened because the youth today is growing up without discipline and work ethic.

form the kids standpoint now everybody gets a trophy just for participating, competitiveness seems to be frowned upon on the playgrounds. and parents are way too paranoid of there kids getting hurt, and as a result we are raising a very sheltered generation of youth and it is echoing everywhere from the music to the movies to the fashion. when I was coming up yeah there were a lot of bands I didn't really like but still they all had talent and paid there dues to get to where they are. that just doesn't exist anymore. and as a result there's not an emotional connection to there music there used to be and as a result as much as I hate to say it looks are now more important.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-07-25 06:32, Vlad_77 wrote:
Amen to the fact that without Blues we would have no Rock.

The Beatles and The Stones had commented many times that they were shocked that Americans were so unaware of the Blues. They thought it very strange that British bands had to wake Americans up to their own music.

Steve Tyler hit it on the head when he said that when he talks to aspiring musicians he always says that to really understand rock, you have to listen to, study, and understand Blues first. Other bands have done this by example. Pink Floyd was originally a Blues band (called themselves the Architectural Ab-Dabs) and the Pink Floyd name is an amalgam of the names of two old time Blues artists: Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

BTW brother, check this out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmn6vWgXS3M

Really wonderful!! (I may have posted this elsewhere in NVMS but it's so good I had to post it again) Smile

:applause: Smile Smile

Brother Vlad, thanks for the McCartney/Perkins clip. It's heart warming to see the boys play together.

In 1968 The Cream released Wheels OF Fire, the 2 LP set had a live set. Clapton performed a song called Crossroads written by R. Johnson. I had to find out more about this amazing song writer. No local record stores ever heard of him. So, we went to Greenwich Village and discovered Robert Johnson, King of the Delta Blues Singers. It started my life long love affair with the blues.

The Doors, live, with blues legend Willie Dixon's Backdoor Man:

http://youtu.be/4-EIi7ToTkA?t=43s
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I was born a bit late, 1961, but I am still a huge fan of real 60's rock. I still have a photo of myself taken in 1982 when I was young and stupid. The picture show me sitting on Jim Morrison's grave with my arm around the bust of his head. A desecrating photo at best, but it showed how much I liked Jim and his music.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Doors 'Touch Me" on The Smothers brothers Comedy Hour (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL