The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Close Up Pads (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hypnojeff
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of hypnojeff
Anyone recommend a good close up pad for strolling?
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
840 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Yep.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
You can also go to your local office supply store and get an oversized mouse pad. Basically the same thing and MUCH cheaper. They also come in various colors.

Mark.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Don't want to start an argument, but anyone who has used one of Patrick's pads knows it's NOT the same thing as a mouse pad.
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Loyal user
Fairhaven, MA
294 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
Agree with pepka. I have one of Patrick's pads - very nice. But it's all about personal choice and recommendations, not arguing whose is better.
hypnojeff
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of hypnojeff
Thanks guys!
Lou Is
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Lou Is
Late to the party. Patrick's mats are excellent.
New url...
http://www.pattricksmagic.com/pattrick-s-magical-mats/
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22892 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I am curious, how does one use a close-up pad while walking around, also know as Strolling. There are no tables, not chairs.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I think most real world working pros don't use a pad for a strolling gig. I usually have a small one in my bag that I use if I go behind the bar, or will have an opportunity to sit down and do a bit more formal set after dinner. This is the exception, not the rule. The most I set down on a table at a strolling gig is a card box or coin purse.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of David French
When I work a strolling gig. I use an instand table. Small and light weight, I use a close up pad on top. This allows me to always have a surface and it provides a bit of attention grabbing potential.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22892 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, I thought that strolling meant constantly moving as in a park or on the street outside, showing magic to whomever you could stop and have them watch. This new word came about because of David Blaine's television specials. Seems the definition has changed over the last few years. The word strolling was never used in conjunction with magic before the 1990's or there about.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
David, may I ask how you use a table during strolling? Do you actually carry the Instand around from group to group (assuming of course you use "strolling" to describe going from group to group of people who are usually standing together and not table-hopping)?
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Okay, I thought that strolling meant constantly moving as in a park or on the street outside, showing magic to whomever you could stop and have them watch. This new word came about because of David Blaine's television specials. Seems the definition has changed over the last few years. The word strolling was never used in conjunction with magic before the 1990's or there about.


I think you you might be confusing "Street Magic" with "Table Hopping and Party Strolling Magic"
David Blaine's style/type of magic is usually referred to as Street Magic and not Strolling Magic.

There are complete sections here dedicated to each of these styles, right above this section on the forum.
Table Hoppers and Party Stroller:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......5&107586
Street Magic:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......92&27015
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of David French
Chris -

Yes, I carry the table around from group to group. Not everyone will agree with this approach, but it works for me. People know something special/out of the ordinary is going to happen. It formalizes the magic for me. I merely walk up to a group, table in hand and put it down, do my introductions and start.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
David,
Hey, if that works well for you, that's great and quite interesting. Does it make it easier for you to breach the group?
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of David French
Chris -

There are many guys I know that do this as well, Dean Dill used to stroll with a table on wheels. The instand does not have wheels and is quite light weight. Please note, I only use this if there are no exiting tables. Cocktail hour type engagements usually. Often times there are a few tables and I will use those. To answer your question, it seems to help approach the group. I am not perceived as just another guest. I have this table, I must be doing something...who carries a table around?:) It instantly attracts attention. I introduce myself and begin. The key here is that it makes MY life easier. I have a surface and formalizes the show. I am not limited to in the hands type tricks. Side note, I bring this table to every gig. I have also used it to do a stand up set. In those cases I will attach the shelf that acts as a servante for my chop cup loads. Let me know if this helps or you have any other questions.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Taterini wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Okay, I thought that strolling meant constantly moving as in a park or on the street outside, showing magic to whomever you could stop and have them watch. This new word came about because of David Blaine's television specials. Seems the definition has changed over the last few years. The word strolling was never used in conjunction with magic before the 1990's or there about.


I think you you might be confusing "Street Magic" with "Table Hopping and Party Strolling Magic"
David Blaine's style/type of magic is usually referred to as Street Magic and not Strolling Magic.

There are complete sections here dedicated to each of these styles, right above this section on the forum.
Table Hoppers and Party Stroller:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......5&107586
Street Magic:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......92&27015





I don't think of David Blaine as doing "Street Magic". What he does is very different from the street magicians I have met. Street Magicians build an audience and perform for an audience. There is a lot of audience work and skills involved in "Street Magic" that I have never seen Blaine do. I would describe Blaine as more of a strolling magician on the street. I would not consider walking up to someone and trying to get them to watch a magic trick as being a "Street Magician". For example, compare what Blaine does to what Gazzo does; there is a big difference. One makes a living on the streets the other makes a living being filmed performing on the streets.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2015, wwhokie1 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Taterini wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Okay, I thought that strolling meant constantly moving as in a park or on the street outside, showing magic to whomever you could stop and have them watch. This new word came about because of David Blaine's television specials. Seems the definition has changed over the last few years. The word strolling was never used in conjunction with magic before the 1990's or there about.


I think you you might be confusing "Street Magic" with "Table Hopping and Party Strolling Magic"
David Blaine's style/type of magic is usually referred to as Street Magic and not Strolling Magic.

There are complete sections here dedicated to each of these styles, right above this section on the forum.
Table Hoppers and Party Stroller:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......5&107586
Street Magic:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......92&27015



I don't think of David Blaine as doing "Street Magic". What he does is very different from the street magicians I have met. Street Magicians build an audience and perform for an audience. There is a lot of audience work and skills involved in "Street Magic" that I have never seen Blaine do. I would describe Blaine as more of a strolling magician on the street. I would not consider walking up to someone and trying to get them to watch a magic trick as being a "Street Magician". For example, compare what Blaine does to what Gazzo does; there is a big difference. One makes a living on the streets the other makes a living being filmed performing on the streets.



I'd call what you're describing "Busking" and not what I'd classify as "Street Magic" or strolling magic in the streets as you referred to it.
That's just my opinion and how I distinguish between the two.
Great analogy there at the end Smile
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I would consider "Busking" and "Street Performance" and "Street Magic" as the same.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Close Up Pads (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL