The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2013 entrée: Peter Turner » » Big Fish » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

boboswitch
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of boboswitch
Hi Pete! Although I know that you have mentioned it before, can you discuss here how "Big Fish" impacted you?

Thanks!

Frank
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Hi Frank,

What an amazing question!

So let me paint the scene, at the time I was performing the whole "Psychological illusionist" feel. I was very happy with the way I was performing (technically) it just felt hollow. It missed emotion and story telling.

If I am honest I really wasn't interested in watching Big Fish at the time.

I went through a stage of watching a film a day and I created a little grading system for the films. I had seen films Tim Burton had produced/ directed the stories were great but I wasn't a huge fan of the overall look of the films.

I had called to see my Nan (who is for me my mum and dad as I grew up with her) and noticed a film my sister had brought downstairs. She told me it was an amazing film and I should watch it, I scoffed when I saw the cover.

None the less I told her I would borrow it and watch it and give her my opinion.

I sat to put the movie on with the intent of it being a waste of time (what a way to fairly grade things right Smile ) and as soon as the film got under way I was gripped! Entertained! Shocked!

I loved the characters the quirky stories and the legend that was being created piece by piece. I loved the passion and the timing of the film it was amazing.

The end came close and the son tells his father how he passes and I was stuck glued to the spot, enthralled.

Then the next scene comes into play and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and my eyes were watering. It was REAL magic!

I in that moment found what I was missing, what I wasn't doing and I vowed to change that.

The film changed my entire life, my next publication was "Bigger Fish" in honorarium to the film. That was the start of the change for me, it was the seed.

It was a defining moment in my life and the film had sparked all of that. I cannot 100% explain what happened in my mind but I saw the world differently. It not only effected me in a performance sense but my entire being.

If you haven't seen it please watch it.

It certainly gave me a sense of wonder!

Pete x

P.s I hope that was grammatical enough, doing this on my phone!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Because of this post, I went and watched “Big Fish”. Amazing movie. Like you, I don’t care for Tim Burton. Most of his stuff is just creepy. This was different. I can see how you could rebuild an entire style just from watching this. Don’t imagine I’ll let my kids see this one, though; it would unwind all my history! Smile

Not to downplay any of the other treasures here this week, this might be the best nugget of all.

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing this one out.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Hi Pete,

Keeping with the theme of Big Fish, as of right now, what's the legacy you want to leave behind? What are the stories you want people to remember about your life when you're gone?

Chris
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Hey Chris,

Awesome question!

As long as everyone has a postive story to tell I will be happy, that and I very much would love to seem enigmatic.

Pete x
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2013 entrée: Peter Turner » » Big Fish » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL