The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » In Sense Or? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
After a late afternoon BBQ Saturday the discussion had become focused on lies told on TV and the Internet vs. those told face-to-face in everyday practice. This ranged from fake diplomas to white-lies out of courtesy.

The hostess had lit some incense – one of the flat wooden holders with an incense-stick at an angle. The smoke trail was mostly vertical with some influence from movement nearby. I picked up the holder and held it at my fingertips without saying anything. Soon the smoke began forming a spiral “pipe” that caught the attention of some. This changed to a zig-zag “ladder” and everyone began to watch.

I explained how a person cannot truly mask a lie, and that subtle clues or “tells” are always available to the trained observer. “Consider poker,” I offered. Everyone nodded.

I described how the formation of a “pipe” in the smoke indicated that a statement made by the person holding the “in-sensor” to be true for them; while a “Ladder” from the smoke indicated some falsehood or deliberate deception. A vertical trail indicated that the holder was neutral about the statement or that the deception was too minor for consequence.

I demonstrated by saying, “I have only two children,” and the smoke-trail formed a Pipe. I then said, “I have a PHD in Education,” and the smoke Laddered the falsehood. Each of the four observers then gave it a try with positive results while making some fairly silly claims.

A fun demonstration.

but then one of the guests took it and made several statements while the smoke wafted straight up. He admitted, “One of those claims was lie. I can control the magic if I choose.” Another guest said, “But you didn’t make it form a Pipe, did you? All it means is that I won’t play poker with you any more.”

The incense went out.

…………………………………………

The point is that Ideomotor demonstrations do not have to be limited to a Pendulum. However, I would not do this as a means of Divination since the smoke movement can be influenced by breath or body movement. I chose not to follow-up with a Mentalism effect more profound but could have. The stage was set.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Very nice.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Quick thinking on your part, bet they were puzzled by it
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
This is great and not as common as pendulums so my mind is racing with ideas.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » In Sense Or? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL