The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight LIVE: Sunday August 4th, @7:00pm Eastern (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3637

From the blurb:

What will he teach?

BLINDSIGHT
A spectator correctly guesses which colors are inside of four envelopes. They set one aside but the magician has predicted it.

AUTOBEND SPOON
Devin explains his self-bending spoon and how to make one at home.

BACKSTAGE MONTE
A sucker effect in which the magician teaches the audience a simple trick and then does it again and fools them. A real magician fooler.

SALT IN LIGHTBULB
The performer shows an ungimmicked lightbulb, vanishes salt and it appears inside the bulb. Bulb can be examined before & after.

CHESS GAMBIT
A person secretly removes a chess piece from a chess set and conceals it. The performer has circled the same piece in a chess book held by an audience member BEFORE the selection is made. The entore effect is hands off. Another magician fooler.

TAROT SIGHT
4 spectators remove tarot cards from a regular tarot deck and just think of their card. Magician reveals the four cards without any questions or fishing. As close to real mindreading as you can get.

DEAL OR NO DEAL
Spectator removes any card from the deck, he can change his mind. A duplicate of his card is inside a box that has been in full view at all times. Magician does not touch the card inside the box. The spectator removes it, and it is the only card in the box. Baffling beyond words.

AROUND THE SQUARE
A new version of this effect. Magician cuts a square out of newspaper and the cut out square visible changes into a cut out circle!

DISSOLVING ACES
The four aces vanish one at a time from the magicians hands in the cleanest manner possible. No sticky stuff or gimmicked cards.

NO TOUCH ACAAN
Devin version of ACAAN where it is hands off. No gimmick decks, duplicate cards.

FARSIGHT
Magician reveals a freely selected card, no force, while his back is turned and without touching the cards. He can be 20 feet away!

DOUBLE CLIPLINE
The performer predicts where a spectator will stop cutting on two different newspaper columns. Very baffling to those who know the old clipline.

RING IN PAINTCAN
A borrowed ring appears inside a paint can, and then is spray out of the can. Very funny routine with a borrowed ring that your audience hasn’t seen.

IMPROVED BABY GAG
Devin’s new and improved routine using the old baby gag, with new gags and handlings not found in the original.

This lecture will teach you some great magic and mentalism with methods that are devious and doable from a guy who has a lifetime of consistently clever creations. Join us on a trip into the mind of Devin Knight.

I have several of his things, but might still get this to look at some of the other items.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Well, Bart, I saw Devin lecture in person about a year ago, and it truly was just about the worst lecture I have seen. Yes, there were one or two that were lousier than his, but I was extremely disappointed. And I didn't have to pay a dime for it since it was an IBM Ring lecture. I truly hope that everyone who pays the money is satisfied!

:bat:
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I've never seen a live performance or demo of his products. Usually only done in a kitchen.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
And that's pretty much exactly how he approached his effects in his lecture.

Here's the gimmick; Here's how it works; I'll pass it around for you to look at it.

No one in my IBM Ring bothered to make his special levitation shoe because nobody liked it. I asked several of my friends about it afterwards.

He was also VERY BORING. The personality of a hard boiled egg.

I have no personal bone to pick with Devin. All I'm trying to do is save you guys $29.95 or $24.95 or the $19.95 that it will be 3 hours before the lecture.

Magicians looking out for magicians.

saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 08:45, BatsMagic wrote:
And that's pretty much exactly how he approached his effects in his lecture.

Here's the gimmick; Here's how it works; I'll pass it around for you to look at it.

No one in my IBM Ring bothered to make his special levitation shoe because nobody liked it. I asked several of my friends about it afterwards.

He was also VERY BORING. The personality of a hard boiled egg.

I have no personal bone to pick with Devin. All I'm trying to do is save you guys $29.95 or $24.95 or the $19.95 that it will be 3 hours before the lecture.

Magicians looking out for magicians.

I saw Devin as well here here in Phoenix - easily one of the dullest and worst I've ever seen.

He certainly has some interesting products - but as a speaker? Pass
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Thanks for backing me up on that, saysold!

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I find this interesting. I thought I was alone in this perspective. I saw him perform before and was disappointed as he was very flat and non-entertaining. I thought it was just a poor or isolated incident.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
And if saysold and I saved you $20 or $30 by reading this, you can send us both $5 apiece as a token of your appreciation.

My PayPal account is: reallybigfatmouth@Devincan'tstandme.com

Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
WOW!
Well... some persons are more creative offstage than onstage.
I never seen Devin perform for real, so maybe he only has to offer the community effects, not performances.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Interesting.... I saw Devin two years ago and he did a fine job. Actually everyone at the lecture really enjoyed it and the material he presented. Not to mention he was overly courteous with his time and answering questions. So I have to say my experience was not as what some here say.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Yes, RNK, he was very courteous and did answer all questions, and he and his girlfriend went out with a bunch of us (me included) to a diner afterwards where we all treated them both to a meal.

But I still stand by everything that I said.

magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
I own Ring in the Paintcan and I think it is a great effect. Many of his other effects have been well received. I look forward to the lecture.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
I would really like you to come here on Monday and give us your opinion, magicduro.

I have no problem with you telling everyone that Bats was totally wrong, and that you were extremely happy with the lecture.

It is a rare thing when we ALL can agree that some magic trick or lecture was great, or that it sucked.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'll also add that I purchased 3 of his tricks (none from the lecture- but I bought them in the month or so before the lecture happened just so I could have a few of his products), and I was not happy with any of them. One of them was "Chess Gambit" (I kind of like Chess, although I am not very good at it), and I can't remember the other two.

Saysold posted that he has some interesting products, and Amira and RNK are happy with his products and/or his lectures, and I respect all three of their opinions. But I disagree with them in this case. Maybe I just bought the wrong 3 tricks.

And you see, now I'm going to look up "Ring in Paint Can" just to find out more about it.

You certainly can't please everyone, but you've got to please yourself.

ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of ventman
I have to say that autobend spoon is a huge hit of all of my shows. In fact it made a huge difference in the life of one of my audience members - a young man with special needs. When we (I include the participant in the bending process) finished bending, I hung the spoon on his finger (my own touch to the routine). His mother came up after the show and asked me to autograph it. He was overheard saying "I'll treasure this the rest of my life". She was very thankful as he typically is not expressive or interactive at all. Blindsight has also given me quite a bit of mileage. I appreciate the effects that I've gleaned from Devin.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 13:40, ventman wrote:
I have to say that autobend spoon is a huge hit of all of my shows. In fact it made a huge difference in the life of one of my audience members - a young man with special needs. When we (I include the participant in the bending process) finished bending, I hung the spoon on his finger (my own touch to the routine). His mother came up after the show and asked me to autograph it. He was overheard saying "I'll treasure this the rest of my life". She was very thankful as he typically is not expressive or interactive at all. Blindsight has also given me quite a bit of mileage. I appreciate the effects that I've gleaned from Devin.

I second that. Blindsight is great. Just wait to see what's on the horizon! I can't wait!!!!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Very touching and beautiful story, ventman!

barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Thanks for the feedback.

I haven't seen him lecture, but even from his own YouTube videos where he is showcasing the effects, I'll agree that he isn't the most charismatic entertainer I've ever seen.

But I feel that way about some other notable inventors as well. It's somewhat ironic that I actually had a conversation about this exact topic less than a week ago (psychic foreshadowing?) The other person and I talked about how we used certain items despite the fact that the demo videos left a lot to be desired. It hasn't stopped me from getting their products and using them. And, Devin does seem to have some great products.

Since Blindsight was mentioned - I also feel that Blindsight is great and that it can be used for any number of things. I didn't personally feel that colors was all that great a subject, but it can be personalized with anything you want to make it more applicable to an audience. For example, for a more "psychic" feel, use Zener cards or some of the more recognizable Tarot cards. And even the colors get great reactions.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
It's a shame he's now left the Café. He's one of the old and bold here and I will miss him posting his latest effects, good or bad.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
I have some paint I need to watch dry during this time period. Will be pre-occupied.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
I've found his demo videos underwhelming. And I wouldn't be surprised if this lecture is cringe-worthy.

BUT, I do believe he has some good ideas (not including the one trick where you saw through a paper plate), and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

The good thing about the Penguin Live All Access Pass is that it averages out to $12.50 per lecture so if I get one thing from a lecture I feel I've gotten my money's worth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight LIVE: Sunday August 4th, @7:00pm Eastern (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL