The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight LIVE: Sunday August 4th, @7:00pm Eastern (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Just thought of an idea using the streamlined KORAN PAPER Tear! I thought I would share it here for those that have the lecture notes. This works better close up.

You show a regular sized piece of printer paper and you show that there are 16 different emotions written (or printed) on the page.

They name a number between one and 16 and you then tear the paper up so that there are 16 individual pieces, each one bearing a different emotion. You turn your back and have them count down to their number, and remember the emotion they have.

You can then turn back and instantly reveal their emotion or show that you had it predicted ahead of time. I really like this since you COULD add some cold reading in to take it to an extra level. But in all honesty, this can be used to select ANYTHING that you want. As long as there are 16 items on the paper!

And something cool, if you make up a page and print it, you could perform the effect 4 times with 4 different outcomes. Kind of cool!
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
944 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Maddy--
Great idea!
I would add the Dunninger Ploy (when possible), like Colin McLeod does, so that I could tear up the paper before asking my helper to "silently count down to their mentally selected number!"
My mind reels at the possibilities!
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Dan,

Looking forward to seeing you Sunday. Leland Pennington is coming, too.

You continue to shine as host, especially when you talked about the binary code and how two selections would end up the same (in Devin's lecture, which I loved). I have no clue how you know all you know, but I am glad you do. Know what I mean?

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1244 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
I thought this was a great lecture. It was definitely in the top 20% of penguin lectures for me. I appreciate the pace he explained things and the variety of effects he showed.

My "negatives" would be these.

Baby gag: I know it's a classic. But I found the performance/explanation cringeworthy. Michael Jackson jokes? The guy's been in the ground for years. Not that the jokes were inappropriate, just corny at best, hackey at worst. To say they're tired is an insult to narcoleptics. They're comatose.

Blindsight: great trick. But the math in regards to his "improvements" doesn't work out. There's still a chance you won't be able to flash any envelopes regardless of how you pick them up. For ex: if you pick up GRBY and they name RBYG. Its still a great trick.

Devin reminded me of a lot of my dads friends. Older guys who crack jokes and bust themselves up more than the audience. And I say this lovingly. I like those types of guys. I just kind of wish he looked more like what I expect those types of guys to look like. More grandfatherly. He looks like an older guy who stole the hair from someone from Fall Out Boy. Or like he acquired this outfit from a poorly thought-out Hot Topic Formal line of clothes and then he tripped and fell into an old Ringo Starr wig. I think there's a disconnect between his personality and his look. And when these things are incongruous it can throw an audience off. I'd rather his look mirror his personality.

All that said, I think this was a great lecture with a lot of workable material. I found Devin very likable and super generous. I'd love to see him back again.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2998 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On 2013-08-08 09:49, Magicsquared wrote:

.....like he acquired this outfit from a poorly thought-out Hot Topic Formal line of clothes and then he tripped and fell into an old Ringo Starr wig.

Now, now Magicsquared. That may well be the funniest thing I've ever read on the Café, but it is also a little cruel.

Also, Ronnie Wood and Mick Jagger are still sporting suspiciously dark locks and dodgy choice of coloured blouses, and no one demands that they look like someone's grandad chewing toffee on the front porch. If Devin wants to work the ageing rock-star look, more power to him!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9426 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Am I correct in getting that this lecture was more magic than mentalism?
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-08-07 16:05, DanHarlan wrote:
Maddy--
Great idea!
I would add the Dunninger Ploy (when possible), like Colin McLeod does, so that I could tear up the paper before asking my helper to "silently count down to their mentally selected number!"
My mind reels at the possibilities!
--Harlan

Great idea! Or also having them name the number and using the old ploy of immediately make another statement kind of ignoring them, and then ask the number again at the end. I really like this thing!
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1223 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2013-08-08 10:54, Mindpro wrote:
Am I correct in getting that this lecture was more magic than mentalism?

I wouldn't say so, and even if it was, the mentalism covered alone is enough to warrant a purchase (even one of the 10 PDFs included warrants a purchase really, never mind the 3 hour 45 minute lecture!)

This has to be one of the best value for money purchases you can make

Devin has some really great stuff, I don't know why people were so against the idea of this lecture in the beginning - I already had a number of the effects performed but I would buy a lecture full of material I already had to see how it is performed differently by the creator and what little touches are there - I learnt a lot from Blindsight for example, which I have had for a number of years
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Your personal comments are really cruel. It's easy to say things like that when you personally never post any pictures of yourself or videos of you performing. ANYONE looks weird on camera, but obviously not everyone can have empathy for another person. I know your comments will hurt Devin's feelings an that is too bad. You certainly are not worth anyone's grief.
James
ps
How about post some links to your Facebook page? We would all LOVE a good laugh.

Quote:
On 2013-08-08 09:49, Magicsquared wrote:
I thought this was a great lecture. It was definitely in the top 20% of penguin lectures for me. I appreciate the pace he explained things and the variety of effects he showed.

My "negatives" would be these.

Baby gag: I know it's a classic. But I found the performance/explanation cringeworthy. Michael Jackson jokes? The guy's been in the ground for years. Not that the jokes were inappropriate, just corny at best, hackey at worst. To say they're tired is an insult to narcoleptics. They're comatose.

Blindsight: great trick. But the math in regards to his "improvements" doesn't work out. There's still a chance you won't be able to flash any envelopes regardless of how you pick them up. For ex: if you pick up GRBY and they name RBYG. Its still a great trick.

Devin reminded me of a lot of my dads friends. Older guys who crack jokes and bust themselves up more than the audience. And I say this lovingly. I like those types of guys. I just kind of wish he looked more like what I expect those types of guys to look like. More grandfatherly. He looks like an older guy who stole the hair from someone from Fall Out Boy. Or like he acquired this outfit from a poorly thought-out Hot Topic Formal line of clothes and then he tripped and fell into an old Ringo Starr wig. I think there's a disconnect between his personality and his look. And when these things are incongruous it can throw an audience off. I'd rather his look mirror his personality.

All that said, I think this was a great lecture with a lot of workable material. I found Devin very likable and super generous. I'd love to see him back again.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1244 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2013-08-08 20:38, Xiqual wrote:
Your personal comments are really cruel. It's easy to say things like that when you personally never post any pictures of yourself or videos of you performing. ANYONE looks weird on camera, but obviously not everyone can have empathy for another person. I know your comments will hurt Devin's feelings an that is too bad. You certainly are not worth anyone's grief.
James
ps
How about post some links to your Facebook page? We would all LOVE a good laugh.

oh please, relax. I was very complimentary about Devin. I think his professional attire could use some tweaking. I think it's incongruous with his performance style. most professionals understand their look is something to be cultivated. and in most performing arts these types of considerations ARE worthy of comment and critique. I didn't comment on someone's personal Facebook photos. If you don't understand the difference then we're probably at an impasse. if someone sees me perform in NYC I'm open to their comments on any aspect of my public persona.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Your comments were in no way constructive. Just mean spirited, for a cheap laugh. Like I said, post some pictures or videos of yourself. I would LOVE to see why you think you are so cool.
James

Quote:
On 2013-08-08 21:32, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
James
ps

oh please, relax. I was very complimentary about Devin. I think his professional attire could use some tweaking. I think it's incongruous with his performance style. most professionals understand their look is something to be cultivated. and in most performing arts these types of considerations ARE worthy of comment and critique. I didn't comment on someone's personal Facebook photos. If you don't understand the difference then we're probably at an impasse. if someone sees me perform in NYC I'm open to their comments on any aspect of my public persona.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
614 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
James
ps

I actually find these comments MUCH more condescending than magicsquared's. You're suggesting Devin "looks weird" and deserves our "empathy"? That is such a gross attitude. If someone had a comment to make to me I'd much rather they make it like magicsquared did, which seemed like the harsh teasing I might hear from a friend rather than your attitude of defending Devin like he's a special-needs student. Devin's a big boy and can handle the criticism which I think was constructive and valid, even if colorfully phrased.

Getting back to the lecture. This was one of my favorites and had a good mix of material. The added PDFs make this an insane value. Maybe Devin had a chip on his shoulder from some of the comments early on in this thread, but he definitely brought it for this lecture. I hope he is brought back.
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Quote:
On 2013-08-09 02:25, Xiqual wrote:
Your comments were in no way constructive. Just mean spirited, for a cheap laugh. Like I said, post some pictures or videos of yourself. I would LOVE to see why you think you are so cool.
James

Quote:
On 2013-08-08 21:32, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
James
ps

I have to agree that I found these comments mean spirited as well. For those of you that know Devin left the Café because of exactly this type of behavior, it only further validates his decision and others who have left. Anyone with a lick of maturity knows that this kind of critique is best left coming from a paid manager or agent, or perhaps a loved one or friend who has been asked for feedback.

Have I noticed that If I were Devin, that I would probably make some changes to my 'look?' Yes. Would I address specific recommendations about his appearance in a public forum? No. However, I might critique his performance or lecture. But I didn't see it, so I have nothing to say about this one.

I just hope he is not reading this stuff.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1223 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
What was the effect that you liked the most?

Was there any effect that made you want to turn to the dark side? (that's magic for mentalists and mentalism for magicians to avoid complexity)

I really liked to see the tarot fourtold, I had the other two variations (reviewed at my blog too!) and had mostly overlooked this version but now I have the PDF and a great lecture description of it, and maybe even more lucky, an appropriate deck of tarot cards to hand.

Not that I care what he was wearing but don't forget it was a lecture to magicians, he can wear what he wants and look how he wants as long as the material is good. The material was excellent in my view and I thought his shirt was pretty cool.

It was the first time I had seen Devin perform/lecture for more than the demos of his effects and I really thought it was excellent, you can tell how much he cares about his work and that people get the most out of it.

I was also looking for an excuse to include a chess board in a show, great stuff!
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
My favorite was predictionary. I just loved it.
MagicOzzy
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
118 Posts

Profile of MagicOzzy
I don't like most lectures, this was fantatic, a steal of a deal...was not really familiar with DK's work, but I am now! Great stuff!
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I had previously purchased a couple of Devin's effects; they are all creative and practical (I think "Balloon Detective" is a great and unusual trick). So I looked forward to the lecture and was not disappointed. As a bonus for me, I did not yet have any of the tricks he taught in the lecture, so this made it one of the best bargains I've come across in a while.

Joe Libby
International Motivational Speaker & Entertainer; Helps you get ROCK-STAR RESULTS for your event!

For your gifts and free trainings, visit:
https://JoeLibbySeminars.com
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2998 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
If you don't already own the effects, this lecture is stunning value for money. The sort of value I thought we'd never see again in the age of the single trick DVD.

Great stuff.
Robert P.
View Profile
Elite user
Kansas
486 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 09:45, jesse_james_mcguire wrote:
There are no constructive comments on this post.. Olympic Adam...

Here is how this whole thread goes applying to you....

Olympic Adam is a nice guy, BUUUUUUT is a horrible Magician... oh but he's a nice guy......So I can say horrible things about him and his magic..

When there is a constructive critique, and something worth while on this thread I will be less of an A**, but until then I'm just gonna add to the fire.. You suck, Devin sucks, ect ect ect...

There are a lot of great comments in this thread, and because of them I ended up purchasing the lecture. Just because there are others in this thread acting rude, what purpose does it serve for you to come in and act the same way?
jesse_james_mcguire
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jesse_james_mcguire
@ Robert P..

To Prove a point.

Suck or not... Any Magi is you're brother and deserves to be treated with respect.

So everyone needs to put their egos in check....
Magicians have the worst egos and opinions ever...

I personally like Devin's stuff and have been doing backstage monti for a few yrs now and it's a real laymen and Magician fooler.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight LIVE: Sunday August 4th, @7:00pm Eastern (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL