The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight LIVE: Sunday August 4th, @7:00pm Eastern (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
overflow
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
185 Posts

Profile of overflow
Did Penguin change the schedule ? I red somewhere that the Joshua Quinn was scheduled for the 4th August.

Regards
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
It's right at the bottom of the Café screen. Devin Knight this Sunday.

:bat:
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1500 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
I have never seen Devin lecture so I do not have an opinion on his speaking skills. I can comment on Backstage monte and I think he did a good job on that effect. The old 3 card monte (Jumbo) with a flap, but with a kicker ending. Nice effect.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2985 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 16:19, magicbyswh wrote:
I have never seen Devin lecture so I do not have an opinion on his speaking skills. I can comment on Backstage monte and I think he did a good job on that effect. The old 3 card monte (Jumbo) with a flap, but with a kicker ending. Nice effect.

Yes, the Backstage Monte is a nice effect. Simple to do, but it's a fooler. Works especially well when the final reveal ties back to an earlier effect.

I've always enjoyed reading Devin's manuscripts that come with his effects. They're generally full of subtleties and problem-solving insights that are useful to read whether or not you choose to perform the effect itself. He often goes into a great deal more detail than you'd expect in order to explain the effect and the principles and psychology behind it.

I purchased a large illusion from him a few months ago, and he took the time to drive a nine-hour roundtrip to my house in order to deliver it and demonstrate its handling. Plus he took the time to walk my assistant and me through his preferred handling for Tubed Out, which Devin used to manufacture; I had a used model in my basement but was never able to find a copy of the original instructions. Turns out that mine was a "clone" of the model he manufactured, but that didn't seem to matter to him. I gave him some money for gas and a little for his time, but he certainly didn't ask for it. Seemed happy just to share what he knew. And he made a point of teaching my son a card trick, which he's been practicing since.

Anyway, I'll definitely plan on watching Devin's lecture at some point.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2016 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 16:06, overflow wrote:
Did Penguin change the schedule ? I red somewhere that the Joshua Quinn was scheduled for the 4th August.

Yes, it changed. Originally I was scheduled for the 4th and Devin was scheduled for the 11th, but I had a scheduling conflict pop up and Devin was kind enough to switch with me. So Devin's lecture is now on the 4th, and mine will be on the 11th. Looking forward to it!
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1901 Posts

Profile of ted french
I spoke with Devin and I am excited about this lecture. There will be a lot of doable practical items shared
P3
practice practice perform.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4649 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-08-01 10:31, ted french wrote:
I spoke with Devin and I am excited about this lecture. There will be a lot of doable practical items shared

That's one thing I love about most of Devin's work- practical and workable effects!

RNK
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Ted, how much will require purchased props from him versus DIY ?
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1901 Posts

Profile of ted french
The large majority of stuff will NOT require you to purchase any additional props. If you have to make something it will be very easy and come from stuff you have around your house. Like I said solid practical stuff. I'm looking forward to the ACAAN and also learning "Blind Sight".
P3
practice practice perform.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Thx...sounds like a winner
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Just wanted to say that I purchased Devin's "Autobend Silverware" last night and I love it! I went out and bought everything for 3 bucks. I made a few today and I LOVE playing with it. It's a really awesome tool.
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
I was fortunate enough to see Devin lecture live a couple of years ago.

While he may not be the most dynamic performer out there he really does have some great ideas; he's a super nice chap too. I'll be tuning in on Sunday.

Regards,
Laurence.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1613 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I think Knight's taking his marbles and going home from the Café was a bit ill-timed given the timing of his Penguin lecture. That said, I note that "Blindsight" is on the program, and back around when I first joined the Café that was a really celebrated routine here and in the "Penny" section. I bought it, it's easily makeable yourself and it's a great piece. The first time I did it it felt like real magic -- which, that one time, it was, as the routine just played out without any of its trickery being required. (Those who have this routine will know what I mean.)
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Quote:
On 2013-08-02 18:29, bugjack wrote:
I think Knight's taking his marbles and going home from the Café was a bit ill-timed given the timing of his Penguin lecture.

I agree.

I remember taking my ball home when the guys were all over me for not wearing Keds.

They just got themselves another ball.

:bat:
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I buy a lot of Devin's magic. His releases are well thought out, usually with multiple kickers. He always includes history and ideas.
His Glassbox revisited has ideas for publicity that are brilliant. I think this lecture will be really good especially with all the naysayers around. Like a grudge match for magic!
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9431 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Why is it when members come on here and speak of their personal experiences that makes them naysayers?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10462 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I wish Devin the best and hope he joins us back on the Café
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
I know a lot of you guys out there think that I'm Debbie Downer, but I honestly hope the lecture is good.

All I can say is that he lectured at my IBM Ring about a year ago, and not one person I spoke to about it afterwards was satisfied with it. And I do talk to my pals about how they liked the lectures that we have. I do have pals, you know.

I looked up "Blindsight" to see if he did it there, and I'm certain that he did. It is quite possible that I just was not impressed because of his presentation. An excellent trick with a lousy presentation= a lousy trick. An OK trick with an excellent presentation= an excellent trick.

I'd be willing to bet that if I saw Xiqual perform "Blindsight" I would be impressed.

Just my opinion, not a fact; so we could go back and forth all year about it and not come to an agreement.

I will come here on Monday and solicit opinions from those who saw the lecture.

I hope many say "Bats, you were WRONG and you missed something that I will never forget".

Then I'll take my ball away and cry myself to sleep.

:bat: Bats
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Bats, I think the point you make is a valid one, and something I think about when buying every trick.

You can't base how good an effect is on the person performing. Some people are creators, some people are performers, some people are both. I believe Devin is extremely creative but not the best performer of our era. And that's okay! He doesn't have to be! But you have to look at the effect that is at the core of the presentation and you have to think to yourself "Is this effect something I can work with?" If the answer is yes, buy it! Buy it and work on a presentation that is more lively and justifies everything.

The problem with the new generation of magic is that magicians are too lazy to try to think of their own presentations. Trust me! I would know more than anyone! I used to learn the script for every magic effect I ever had and would perform it exactly like they taught. But sense then, I do things differently now. I sit down and try to think out a presentation that is fun and that I think my particular audience would enjoy.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
And Maddy, you too have a valid point.

I used to try doing things exactly the way they were taught by the creator also, since they had all of the experience, but I found that a lot of the time it just wasn't me. Being comfortable with your patter is important, and I am very comfortable with mine. I don't think anyone would ever think I am following some sort of script.

I adapt almost every trick to a style that suits me.

Like, for instance, I currently have and am using "I Hate Kids." I love it, but there is just NO WAY that I can say that line during a performance. People that know me (and even those that don't) would just KNOW that that is a lie. I am always told that I am SO GOOD with kids. So when the kid wins the dollar and walks away and it comes time for me to say that line, I say "That's why I HATE doing this for kids. Adults NEVER win the money". That works for me.

Post number 1,000 for me. Three years ago I was just a lurker laughing at all of the back-and-forth sniping (which can be quite amusing sometimes, and quite frustrating at other times), and I figured that I would never even have post number one.

:bat: Bats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight LIVE: Sunday August 4th, @7:00pm Eastern (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL