The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot without Memory: A new perspective (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Hi guys! I thought that this might interest you.

I share with Kenton Knepper some time ago an idea using Tarot in a different way. He worked it in his own way and release it yesterday. Its called "Tarot Without Memory"
We already receive some feedback from Peter Arcana :

"What I've tried to convey in written word about my Bardic technique for Tarot (but struggled), Kenton Knepper & Pablo Amirá have nailed it with 'Tarot without Memory'. Kudos to them both on this wonderful release.
Highly recommended for any student/reader of the Tarot."

You can check more info on Kenton´s site Smile

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Xaerius
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Xaerius
Looks intriguing. Unfortunately, I've gone beyond my budget this month, and will have to wait before I get this.

For those interested (I know I am), here's the link: http://www.wonderwizards.com/product_inf......s_id=603

Nigel
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
How does this compare with Enrique's Invisible Readings?
I've asked to be banned
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Or in comparison with Richard Webster's The Tarot For Fun And Profit?

In one chapter, Richard goes into how he lets the sitter basically interpret the cards which use their memory.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Looks interesting too. Is this something really new?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Notes on the Tarot de Marseilles from EE covered this in detail, including the interactive, dynamic, and psychological dimensions of this kind of approach.

I'd like to hear from Pablo in what way this is different.

Best wishes

Todd
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
There is a long tradition of this. Most shuteyes use this instinctive approach to letting the sitter intuitively interpret the cards. This is certainly the only way I would ever use Tarot. Indeed, does *anyone* these days get out their little 'pictorial key to the Tarot' and say, 'Ah this card means....'? Using fixed interpretations of cards is the surest way of killing the tarot. Also, the actual meaning of the Tarot cards has be perverted and re perverted consistently throughout history. One other factor, the actual meanings of the Major Arcana relate quite specifically to a medieval Christian world view, and represent moral teachings from that period. So, much of the the 'real' symbolism of the Tarot is 'difficult' in a modern context. THen we have all of the stupid re-interpretations of the cards to make them more palatable to a reader who has unfortunately drawn, Death, The Hanged Man, The Devil and The Tower!
How to do this - well, this can be told in one short sentence.
You ask the sitter - 'what do you see here?'
I think that people are hinting that this thinking is anything but 'new'. Obviously Enriques seminal thinking is going to be referenced here, as it should, and there are many other works alluding to a more free-form interpretation of the Tarot.
Having said that KK is a giant in our field and his work should always be respected and viewed with interest. Pablo too is a fine thinker. So I am certainly not going to dismiss this work. However, like others, it would be interesting to have a few more details here.
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On 2013-07-31 06:53, Christopher Gould wrote:
There is a long tradition of this. Most shuteyes use this instinctive approach to letting the sitter intuitively interpret the cards. This is certainly the only way I would ever use Tarot. Indeed, does *anyone* these days get out their little 'pictorial key to the Tarot' and say, 'Ah this card means....'? Using fixed interpretations of cards is the surest way of killing the tarot. Also, the actual meaning of the Tarot cards has be perverted and re perverted consistently throughout history. One other factor, the actual meanings of the Major Arcana relate quite specifically to a medieval Christian world view, and represent moral teachings from that period. So, much of the the 'real' symbolism of the Tarot is 'difficult' in a modern context. THen we have all of the stupid re-interpretations of the cards to make them more palatable to a reader who has unfortunately drawn, Death, The Hanged Man, The Devil and The Tower!
How to do this - well, this can be told in one short sentence.
You ask the sitter - 'what do you see here?'
I think that people are hinting that this thinking is anything but 'new'. Obviously Enriques seminal thinking is going to be referenced here, as it should, and there are many other works alluding to a more free-form interpretation of the Tarot.
Having said that KK is a giant in our field and his work should always be respected and viewed with interest. Pablo too is a fine thinker. So I am certainly not going to dismiss this work. However, like others, it would be interesting to have a few more details here.

Correct Smile
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Hi everyone!
Thanks first of all on the interest on Tarot Without Memort (TWM). First of all I don't think that this is revolutionary in any way. I came up with this idea time ago in my early psychology studies.

I gave this idea to Kenton some time ago and he refined in his own great ways.
I ask him about EE-Invisible Readings and he told me that is different. TWM is based in other concepts and isn't just letting the client to interpret the cards.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
After reading Christopher's post, it made me think of these:

http://www.themarkedward.com/tarot.html

I always wanted to get them but never did.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Isn't this the same Kenton who sells a tick sheet that makes it possible to give a better tarot reading than 95% of the professional readers, and without ever knowing anything about the cards?

I like actually knowing what the cards mean. It adds some credibility if you can actually answer questions about the oracle. I have no respect for a reader who does not know anything about his own chosen system of divination. Where is the fun in that, anyway?

Perhaps this really is a great way to give meaningful and insightful tarot readings, but everything else I've seen by Kenton and friends leaves me asking why anyone would buy a second product from him.

I have never read anything by Pablo, so perhaps this is really a great product. I just don't trust products that sound too good to be true.

-Patrick
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I have been disappointed so often with Kenton products that I will take a pass on anything with his name on it.

I recommend US Games Systems "Quick and Easy Tarot" deck. They have a brief definition of each card, including the reverse meaning.I use it like flash cards. So cheap, I bought two decks. It even has a quick reference lay-out chart.

Right or wrong shut-eye or dabbler, I believe the sitter anticipates the standard definition to cards. Call me lazy, I am not going to re-invent the wheel.
Just a suggestion. Chose your tools.

Jerry
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

These random attacks on someone who has given so much to the field of magic and mentalism for so many years deeply sadden me.
If you cannot see the value in Kenton's work, you maybe need to look a little deeper, or elsewhere - like the 'quick and easy' tarot books for example.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Well sir, to me you seem to be contradicting yourself by supporting Mr. Knepper "Tarot without memory" (as in little or no effort) and yet dismissive in another product that may help you accelerate your understanding of the Tarot.

If this same product had come from an alliance with Banachek or Osterlind, I would have considered it.
I am only expressing a past products purchase from personal experiences. Not a second hand review and not just one purchase.
I didn't attack anyone, and didn't pull his name out of hat.

Mr Amira's product may be excellent, I have no idea and I would not attempt to convince anyone from NOT purchasing this product.
As stated, I made a suggestion. I am only presenting options.
There lots of options, and for most, limited resources.
Work smart, chose you tools.

Jerry
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

After thirty five years or more of studying the tarot, I doubt that I would choose to 'accelerate my understanding' with flash cards. But then, neither would I dismiss an authors work without first reading it. Those sir are my tools.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
So additional, you would avoid Tarot Without Memory as it is a short cut also?

So you have already read Quick and Easy, no wait, you stated you would not do that, no wait you dismissing an authors work without reading it first, no wait you have...
You are full of contradictions sir.
I would easily not take your advice.

Also, I'll state it a second time, I would NOT attempt to convince anyone from NOT purchasing this product.

And I HAVE read one of the authors work and I was greatly disappointed more then once.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
If you want to argue please take it elswhere guys. I like the spooky forums with demons and ghosts and the light hearted way that the subject matter is treated. If we're going to have flaming going on can't the the one that knows about flames more than any other be discussed? (Ol' Scratch)I agree with Jerry and Mr Gould. Kenton Knepper has contributed much and it's great if you actually study it and how the material works. I use Completely Cold when I get stuck and can't remember Webster's A to Z

Can't we just talk about Satan or witches or reading virgin rib bones? C'mon.

I send love and white light to you both. Smile
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Sorry I was off topic. I meant dark, black light.

As per Amira's post. This looks interesting and can only add to a tarot reading if the reader so chooses IMO. My only gripe is that it's a pdf instead of a leather backed book with red lettering on the spine and gold accents and some dents and weathering. And that it wasn't published 300 years ago by some obscure and forgotten necromancer.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I agree Brother, I dislike negative exchange like the next person. However Mr. Gould challenges me for suggesting an alternative due to it's lack of depth.

And it is apparent he has not even read the copy ad which reads: "No, there is nothing to memorize. You don't have to work hard at it" and so on, no depth there.
How are the two options dramatically different. If you dismiss one, you have to on both.
Lots of options.

Thanks for the positive vibes. I feel great!
I'll move on to some positive topic. I trust everyone's judgment on this even if they don't have thirty-five years experience. Smile

Jerry
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

I too agree and have little taste for negativity. The reader of this thread will easily discover the root of the negativity, without my help. Although I do think it worth the time to defend those whose thinking underpins much of what we take for granted in modern magic.

There is however a point that I would like to make here. Most readers progress beyond fixed interpretations of cards after very little study and for a number of reasons. For example, the arbitrary and someone confused nature of many of the interpretations, leading to a lack of a truly coherent structure in the tarot (or at least to the meanings that were shoehorned into it by various occultists and authors of the the previous century). Also, working readers soon come to realise that using fixed interpretations both inhibits true intuition and leads inevitably to a stilted and fractured reading. The tarot when best used (in my opinion) is a method of making contact with the sitters unconscious (or rather the sitters subconscious, as her unconscious will be of little use to us!). There are many other persuasive arguments against using fixed interpretations. However, there is one that I think is very important. This is one of contamination. This is as true for the tarot reader as it is for the psychoanalyst. If we use anything other than the sitters own responses we are forcing a meaning on the situation. Not only will this meaning be unlikely to be true, but it could be potentially very dangerous. How many times have you had a friend give you advice, only to find out that actually they are telling you something that they actually need for themselves? Giving an interpretation and worse still advice based upon anything other than the sitters own inner knowledge has the potential of being catastrophic. Many people come to a reading for a bit of fun, and will go away relatively unharmed by even the most clumsy of readings. However, are you sure that you can always spot the person who has come because they are desperate for advice and may be in such a state that suicide is an option for them? What then if she draws a death, hanged man or many of the sword cards, and you open your pictorial key to the tarot to read the given interpretation? A reader will attract vulnerable people and it is not always easy to spot them. So in a reading flexibility is needed not a fixed system. Intuition is needed not predetermined patterns of thought. Sensitivity, not clumsiness. Therefore the interpretation should *always* come from the sitter herself and certainly any advice should come from an informed source -and that is the sitter herself. I make this point as I have witness far too many readers engaged in highly questionable and potentially dangerous activities through lack of understanding.

However, I have no wish to hijack this thread with a discussion into the ethics of reading. So, to put it back on track. I would recommend anyone to Kenton's own advice on this. Also, I look forward to an full review of this book so that I can make an informed choice as to whether I wish to purchase it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot without Memory: A new perspective (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL