The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » School Boards and Superintendents (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
I have a question for school assembly show performers.

My background is that I have two educational assembly magic shows (which, by the way, do have the magic closely integrated into the theme). I have attended conferences as an exhibitor for:
- PTA presidents
- Physical education teachers (nutrition show)
- Family Resource Center Directors (FRC is a Kentucky requirement for every school)

I have signed up for a principal conference for this year and I am considering two others:
- School superintendents
- School boards

Does anyone have any experience exhibiting before these two groups? Each conference takes a major commitment of time and money so I want to be careful about which ones I select.

I am just not sure if school boards and superintendents would have much power in directing their schools to select assembly programs. Thoughts?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Be careful as these can be quite costly and yeild minimal or no results. I have done each of these conferences and conventions on all three levels, state, regional, national.

There was a time where these events were much more effective, but times and operational procedures have changed, mostly due to budgets and accountability.

These are especially useless for those that only perform locally or within a 60 mile radius. If you regional or national they can serve a purpose (but not always for bookings), but at that level there are more cost-effect and more productive ways to reach your targets.

I would tell anyone asking to go ahead and try it if you're willing to and able to spend the money, to gain the insight, but don't expect bookings, and treat it as a learning experience.

While school boards and superintendants do have power, they are today less and less involved in approving and booking assemblies, as much of this is now left to the individual schools or outside resources.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Mind pro is right.

the PTOs tend to have the power these days with booking assemblies. some principals will have a say in the matter but most schools today have it set up for the PTO to pick and chose the assemblies they would like to have then present them to the school board for approval.

so as Mindpro mention you can try it to gain the knowledge and experience.

good luck

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
Thanks, Mindpro and Sam. The conferences are at the state level, though I do market to other nearby states as well.

I found that the P.E. conference worked very well for my nutrition show. The PTA/PTO conferences weren't that well attended and I didn't get many bookings. The verdict is still out on the FRC conferences. I have a couple of principal conferences scheduled.

I am going to be sending out a postcard direct mail piece soon (1450 schools) and have been debating whether it should go to principals or PTA/PTO presidents. Would anyone else like to give insights as to which they think would be better? Each postcard mailing costs me about $700, so I don't know that sending one to each would be feasible or have a good ROI.

Thanks again.

Steve
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It all depends on your pricing. Anytime I can do a mailing and have it pay for itself with one booking that is something I consider a good deal and POI. I guess it also depends on what you consider a good return.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
90 percent of getting school shows is who you know. (like other ventures) It's a big name game SOOO while it's important to attend these events your real job is making everyone want to be your friend. it takes an extroverted personality to open the door then follow-up your leads until they either book or say die.

It works so much better to create tan atmosphere that you have something they need as opposed to you, applying for a job. You want them insisting that you take their business card as opposed to asking them if it would be alright to give them one of yours.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree. It also helps if you offer something they can't get elsewhere.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
In most Schools the Secretaries really run the school and make the decisions.

As School Budgets keep getting cut o do the Assembly Programs.

I never send anything to the Principal I always sent it to the PTA/PTO President as most of these have Mailboxes in the School. At least it will usually get to their Mailbox before being tossed out. Just call the Schools and ask who the PTA/PTO President is. A lot of schools have that information on their websites however a lot of schools do not update their websites and you could be sending information to the wrong person. These President change on a consistent basis. Some work for 1 year while others stay President if their child attends the school from K-5.

If you send items to the Superintendent they will never make it to His/Her Desk as the Mail Person just throws that in the Garbage as they have more difficult tasks to perform.

And I actually make more money now doing Fundraisers than Assembly Performances in my area. After costs we split 60/40 and the 60% goes to me. In our state the School Funding has been cut to the BARE BONES. My wife is a Teacher and in the Whole District last year they did not have one single Assembly Program that was not put on for FREE. I did several Fundraisers for the PTA and made out way better than most Assembly Show Performers. I work a 250 Mile Radius.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Rodney
Do you have illusions and assistants
And
Do you go- out for the promotional show the week in advance?

My set up is a 20 foot box truck or my van & trailer, 5 assistants, curtains, lighting and more. But I always go a week in advance for the promo show and I have to say:
Doing 2 shows on a particular night and leaving the house at 530 the next morning to drive 85 miles for a promo show is killing me. Not only does it ruin my sleep pattern but it's a real grind.

So how much equipment do you schlep around and do you do the promos, or let the PTAs do ALL promotion?

Finally, do you have competition? There are a few other guys in the area that MAKE it impossible if you have a small show because they will overshadow you with the size and scope of their productions..... At the same price points.

Thank you
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
As a school board member I can definitively say: don't waste your time with either market. Stick with the PTOs or Principal conferences as they are the ones who approve the programming. In my five years on the school board, not once have we been asked to approve co- and extra-curricular programming of this nature...

However, your mileage might vary!

Andrew
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
Mindpro - you said, "These are especially useless for those that only perform locally or within a 60 mile radius. If you regional or national they can serve a purpose (but not always for bookings), but at that level there are more cost-effect and more productive ways to reach your targets."

My radius is about 200 miles. What would you consider the most effective way to reach them, if not face-to-face?

Thanks.

Steve
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Face to face is always one of the top ways, but I don't believe those that necessarily attend to these events (conferences and conventions) are there for this reason or are the right person/decision maker.

You have to understand the way the schools and attending reps from the school approach these events and who exactly they are. They are not who you think they are necessarily. This is where many misconceptions are pertaining to these events. You must understand the school's perspectives, logic and approach. Few do. This is why they can be at best hot or miss, leaning more consistently to miss.

Unless you serve an entire state (most don't but rather their portion of a state), the best thing I'd suggest is mailings if done properly (to the exact contact, not a general mailing or to a title or "Principal" or "Assembly Coordinator"). The most effective way, again it must be done properly, to attain the desired and measurable results is to use the phone. Direct calls. Now I will warn you, if you say your are a magician, do not expect great results. I would avoid that word or "magic show" at all costs.

We've booked about twenty acts over the years in the school market and nothing is less received than magicians. Even when we were booking a magician, we would never refer to it as that (or Magic Show, Illusionist, Illusion Show, etc.) As I've discussed before I have been on the advisory board for many state and national conferences, conventions and associations and this has been discussed extensively about the true perception of magicians and magic shows to schools and these groups. The damage it does is incredible as it pertains to image, perspective, pricing and acceptance.

Without saying too much, the best way to book schools is to position yourself where they want and come to you. It's taken me decades to understand this and figure out the formula, but this is they key.

Also remember that while some schools with little or no budgets will book locals, most only spend decent money on regional or national offerings (again, understanding their mentalities and perceptions). Especially if they have to be self-sufficient and raise their own funds for you.
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
I definitely do not make magic the focus of my promotional materials and don't sell myself to this market as a magician, but I do include "magic show" in the title of the program. I figure I want to emphasize that a primary reason to select my programs is because they engage the students much more than classroom teaching would. Kids love magic and it will grab their attention and help to get the message through.

I may need to re-think this.

Steve
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree that the kids love the magic, but they're not your customers purchasing your services. IS it an entertainment show or an educational show? Two different approaches.
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
Good point. Is stressing both, a la "edu-tainment", a bad idea?

When talking with school administrators and teachers I point out that teaching is a function of content and presentation and that both need to be good in order for students to learn the message or subject. If the presentation is not captivating, the content won't get through, no matter how important it is.

This is an excellent discussion, by the way. I'm learning a lot.
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I work the assembly market in Southern California. Often times the PTA or the Principal will book assemblies, but the only way to find out is to call the schools and ask. If it's the principal, then they will probably be at the school for several years. If it's the PTA, then they typically will hold the position for two years. However, the president is rarely the person in charge. Most PTA's will have an assemblies or programs chair. I do mailings, conferences, and advertising, but nothing sells a show like personal contact. I call every school and talk to the person, send them information, follow-up, and invite them to see the show at a nearby school. I do a lot of name dropping of other schools in the area that have had my show, and I include letters of recommendation in my packet. I spend 4 hours a day on the phone and make 100 calls a day. It's a grind, but it does keep me busy doing a large show.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-08-01 10:54, Steve Haffner wrote:
Good point. Is stressing both, a la "edu-tainment", a bad idea?

When talking with school administrators and teachers I point out that teaching is a function of content and presentation and that both need to be good in order for students to learn the message or subject. If the presentation is not captivating, the content won't get through, no matter how important it is.

This is an excellent discussion, by the way. I'm learning a lot.

That was great in the late 80's 90's and early 2000's but that too now has become soooo overused and ineffective. About a month ago in one week we received promo from five different "professionals" using the terms "edutainer or info-tainer". Innovative in it's time, but it's time has passed. It's no longer unique. It's quite like every magician claiming to have a "eductaional magic show" titled "The Magic Of.....(Reading, Health, Math, Science, etc.) Once quite innovative, now so overused and beaten that it has become the common norm!
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
I wouldn't bother with school boards as my personal experience is that they really have very little to do with the booking of acts for schools. Often, there is a committee within a school or the principal who makes the decision regarding assemblies. I would take the time to figure out if a school (or district) had a particular theme (e.g. self-esteem, anti-bullying, etc.) and explain how your show specifically targets that specific area. I know that in my district decisions are made by teams of individuals but the PTA is often the one who foots the bill.

Dave
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
@ Jay Leslie, I have NO Assistants. The School PTA or PTO does all of the promoting and Flyers. I give them 6 Full Color Flyers and they can have as many as they want printed up. A lot of schools will have a local printing company print the materials as most of them do it for FREE as a Donation to the School.

I have a Jeep and my Fundraising Show fits in there perfectly. Some times it is a Hit and miss as the turnouts vary from Schools, School Districts and ISD. I know that if I do a Fundraiser for a High Poverty School 95% and above I make very little. It is usually around $ 200.00 that I make. I will only perform Fundraisers for the Higher Poverty Schools within a 50 Mile Radius as I know that the money is just not there.

The most that I ever made at a Fundraiser was at a Charter School about 75 Miles from my home. I ended up taking home $ 480.00 from the Fundraiser. That was the payment but I did an additional $ 325.00 in BOR Sales after the Show which I donate 10% back to the School if I have sales in excess of $ 200.00. So the School got back $ 32.50 from me from BOR Sales. So all in all I made at nice $ 772.50.

When I book out of town more than 100 miles in one direction I try to book at least 3-5 Fundraisers in the same area in 2-days.

And I never go out for the PROMO Show at all. I do not do PROMO Shows only Fundraisers and Ice Cream Socials.

If I did not answer any of your questions please feel free to ask.

I personally do not think Fundraiser Shows would benefit you as you have way to much overhead and expenses.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Thank you.
If these numbers help to understand:
An average of two shows at (arguably) 220 per show and 4 dollars per person. If you build it up to. 80 shows a year and add the other income from weekend shows then it might make sense to drag a bigger show around.

The downside is: Endless hours on the phone, occasionally your assistants get sick or just dissapear. You have to physically go to meetings and do the promo shows.
It becomes a business. Why some professionals hide the system of getting and working shows is beyond me because this is real work. It's not a fantasy like "I can fulfill my dreams of being a magician" I AM NoT saying that anyone is being unrealistic or trying to tell people this is not worth doing. I'm just saying that working a fundraiser for schools is genuine hard labor but with tenacity the monetary rewards can be far more then the best party performer doing 5 parties a weekend. That is also a grind hut in a different way.

What we didn't cover is the geographical area and customs fir the demographic. I know someone who moved from California to Arkansas to retire from his 9to5. He ran ads, he worked a few restaurants to drum up business. It's been 4 years and he hasn't booked a single party. For fun, he droped the price to 45 dollars just to see if the objection was price. It was not. There are some areas where it does not make sense to mount an illusion show when it's just not accepted in that culture.

And conversly, it can be said that these areas are the best for big name performers because they are a big attraction.

Anyway, it may or may not be worth increasing the size of the show. Your incentive - and the incentive for the sponsor to sell more tickets could be that you will bring the large head chopper to use on the principal IF they sell x amount if tickets. There should be a reason the sponsor hires you as opposed to another act. Sometimes you will suggest your show and it inspires the sponsor to put on their own show ( like a talent show) and they keep all the money. You will never know that you are loising out because they will never thank you.

Once I overheard a PTA dad say to another board member " we can probsbly do a dhow ourselves and just cut thud guy out ."
I had to launch into how large our show was and how it would be impossible for a talent show to compete with the size and scope... And what that means is there is more excitement with the larger show- which equals more tickets sold at higher prices -and LESS work then a talent show ... So more money and less work.

That's my point. It may be worth it to look into getting a few larger effects and a smsll lighting system and things that give them a reason to hire you as opposed to hiring the local guy that offers the same basic show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » School Boards and Superintendents (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL