The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » A Billet to the Brain - a new effect from LokI Kross (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Penguin is out of copies. Smile

I am working on the next run.

So it will be back soon Smile

L
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Loki,

Your a nice guy, you explain the effect in detail and maybe if I havnt studied mentalism for years I might like this effect. This effect is definitely not for me. IT might be for some other people, but not me. For me, it takes way to long just to get the info. There are a lot of moves and at one point while your eyes are held shut by a spectator you must handle the billet when its not even folded up. I guess that part is what I dislike the most. I hope I am not giving to much away. I do believe this effect was a little to secretive and more could have been explain or perhaps a full performance shown. Once I saw the full performance I knew it wasn't for me.

To sum up. I would rather use a peek wallet, impression device or a center tear way before I would use this. The other methods are way more direct, and easy to understand. Again, some people might love this effect....i am just not one of them.

Your a great guy loki, I'm still thinking about getting your FAX dvd, but this was just not for me
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Blake,

I've been checking back at this post regularly in hopes of hearing from those who have received it- anticipating rave reviews from others. I'm respectfully shocked by your dislike for the routine.

First, I think you've made a few mistakes or have missed some things. I would like to respectfully suggest that you go take another look and give it another chance. There is absolutely no point in which you handle a billet with your eyes open/uncovered before it has been folded up. That is an absolutely bizarre misstatement. In fact, this fact alone is what separates this effect from a center tear. It is WAY more fair. You can, in theory, have your eyes covered from before the trick even begins and they can remain covered through all the parts of the routine which may appear suspicious.

A peek wallet or impression pad is, in fact, a quicker way to get information that someone has written down. But who on earth is doing "quick" mentalism? Isn't there a time consuming routine/build-up that goes along with your information gathering? However, for the record, this effect could be done in 90 seconds. As I stated earlier, this is for someone who wants to do things right, not someone who wants to do things quick. Two weeks ago I watched David Williamson do two tricks in an hour.

This is not just an alternative to the devices you've mentioned. I'd like to suggest that it an improvement. You end absolutely clean, no need to stuff a wallet or special pad in your pocket. You work with a type of billet that everyone is used to seeing/handling (there's where I am a bit cryptic out of respect for the magician).

The beauty of this effect is that the materials beautifully aid in the motion, though they are not "gimmicks" that do all of the work.
While I would encourage you to go back and see that this effect is way more "fair" than the devices you would rather use to get the work done for you, part of me is almost glad that it's "not for [you]." The last thing I want to see is a bunch of guys performing on Youtube with this type of billet.

Granted, most of my handling for B2B was taught in person by Loki at Magic Live. We covered the effect in grave detail, enough for me to grow a strong passion for this effect and a respect for Loki's work. You cannot top Loki's level of customer service, support, involvement, and dedication to his effects. If you are shopping for this type of effect, keep this fact in mind. I am very quick to criticize magicians who have inferior products, terrible attitudes...really I slam anyone who has a single misstep in their products/service. Maybe it's a flaw of mine. I'm happy to say I cannot do that here.
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Rob VS, I knew I would get attacked by not liking this effect.

I just said it was not for me and I gave my reasoning. Robvs you need to read my post a little closer because you miss quoted me. I never said that your eyes are open when you must handle the open billet. I said , There are a lot of moves and at one point while your eyes are held shut by a spectator you must handle the billet when its not even folded up." That is what I said. That is not a bizarre misstatement, its the truth.

Im not looking for quick mentalism I'm looking for effects that fit me....this did not.

Sorry if it offends people that I did not like this or that it was not for me. Im not hear to stop loki from making sells or to put him down. Hes a great guy, I just didn't like the effect.
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Again, I just want to clarify, this just was not for me.....it might be for some people and some people might want to use this all the time and that's fine, they might enjoy it. Im not trying ot be mean or say I'm mad. Im not at all.....buying secrets is the luck of the draw, sometimes they fit your personality and persona, sometimes it doesn't. This one didn't fit me. Loki is a great guy, I'm sure he has great customer service and I wish him the best.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Error noted. I stand behind the rest.

I think you're missing something great here. I'm looking forward to the response of others.
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Thanks for the honest review blake.

Kieran
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
After purchasing mine, and watching the video, I very much prefer a simple CT, like T-Rex. Seems like a much less convoluted procedure than B2B. I don't think the benefit achieved of the eyes being closed and having someone covering your eyes with their hands is worth the additional procedural steps. Like Blake above, this is only my opinion, this may be perfect for you.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Hi Everyone!

Thank you Blake and Johnny for your candid feedback, I definitely appreciate it! Smile
And thank you Robvs for being so passionate about this system. It is appreciated as well. Smile

In response Smile
I know that Mentalists are very particular with their methods. It is not easy to "convert" a Mentalist, and for that I am not trying to.
I just want to present another option for all practitioners of deception.

So I truly appreciate that you tried it out Blake/Johnny, and I wish it had been more to your liking.

(Admittedly, if you stopped at the performance, you may have missed about 30 minutes of logic work on the routine. There is a ton of info there. It goes gadget, moves, methods, performances, and then full on routine discussion. Just pointing that out for future viewers. It had to be broken down that way to teach it in order. I didn't want people watching the routine logic, and fumbling with moves.)

I also spent this weekend talking to Mentalists about this system.
I have decided to add a PDF with some extra information.

This will be beneficial in context to the system for a few reasons.

1. It will cover the specific talking points that make this work.
In the performance I was asked by the woman who covered my eyes to not have her face shown. (After the fact.)
So to edit her out, I cut a speaking point in which I did not really go over well again.

2. It will hopefully have pointers from seasoned Mentalists, (Peter Turner has already offered some, along with favorable comments about the subtleties. And this guy doesn't even use props usually. Luca Volpe has one and I am awaiting his feedback as well.)

3. It will cover ALL Logic work, in order. For handy reference. Smile

Sometimes when you work a project where you end up doing everything, (perform, film, edit), you have a "chronologue" of information that MUST make it.
You watch it all and your brain plugs in information that strengthens one's understanding of a concept.
But for one not so precluded to the notion, it could be missed.

But in the 4+ months I have been working this project I have only had Saysold1 mention the point that you guys made about holding the billet...

And I think it is because I did not cover, at the time, the reasoning well.

So here I will point out the reasoning, as to be open about it.

(I was never trying to be "secretive" with this one, it is based heavily on logic, like FAX, and as such, there were other parties whom would look at all of this and tell me to cut out parts. Especially the demo. Originally it had a speaking performance, then they liked the music more. *shrugs.)

Firstly I am not doing a "psychic deal" here.

It is usually:

I can know a secret you write down, even in privacy, or without me being ale to see it. It is because technology allows for people to spy on us everywhere, and right now they are communicating with me. Try to see if you can tell when, who, or how that this can happen.. (demonstrate)

Or.

Psychics would have you believe that they can extract your thoughts. But it is not them who has power, it is the power of that thought. A thought you can project. One that can be discovered by watching tells, pantomimes, micro-expressions.
(Or just say THEY have power. As I do that A LOT in my releases as I think it is very strong. to them. To "give" them the power.)
All you have to do is visualize a coherent thought. Like a phrase or picture.

I have just justified why to write.

When you show them what they wrote, (without sight of your own), you are either:
A. Confirming to them a true visualization of what they want to transmit.
B. Letting one of your "spies" get a chance to see it.

When you watch the dvd, of course, I cover how that affects the logic in many ways.

But I will touch on the comparisons to Peek Wallets, and Cts.
As I have worked with both.

Peek Wallets:

In the layperson's mind you having a notebook to write on is not suspect.

A Notebook that has all clean pages... Kind of suspect.

Allowing someone to assume you are taking information, whether from their mind, or whatever premise; and needing a notebook to be used and specifically placed in open view. Even more suspect.

Finally. Spectator management.
If they do not lay it on the table right, you may have to "adjust" it.

This all leads straight to the method. And it cannot be inspected.

The gadget in B2B is far more fair. And it can be handled freely.
It will also never draw suspicion for not having used pages in it.
It is also a far more common item for taking notes. At least, in these times.

CTs:

Once again having them write is not as motivated in most of these.

Having the dual nature of mechanics, (them folding, you then taking it away and tearing it), is not natural to conducive human interaction.
They would then tear it up.

Your eyes have to be available. They can be "averted", but they have to be available.

This draws a layperson who ponders on it to conclude, "I wrote, I folded to hide; but they then tore it up with their eyes open. I'm sure they could see something."

Finally. With current advancements in CTs such as DRBBT, and TREX; you are only getting, admittedly, 50-75% of the information, if done perfectly.

In this it is 100%, everytime.

In B2B, if you touch the billet, you cannot see. If you hold it, it is motivated. You are showing them one last time, you are concealing it for them and explaining the best way for them to hide it, even when cleaning up you are subtly "proving" it is a legit.

I did not want to, but until the PDF comes out I will add this. (The verbage that seemed to have slipped the DVD).

"There is probably more than a word here, maybe a few, a sentence."

"If you are to concentrate and project that thought; would it not be more concentrated if we break the sentence down to words?"

At the cleanup:
"If we break these words down to letters, then I can find the final few letters that make up this complete thought. Look at it again, does it jog your visualization? Can you see it all again?"

In spy mode this is just as simply covered by saying:
"Here I will conceal it so no one can get another chance to spy on it, but you."

And I personally can perform this as fast as any of the other two methods. I just like to draw it out.
But for fun I have just went, "bang. bang. bang." and was done. Clean, reset, and mind blown. Smile

Thank you EVERYONE for your feedback! It makes this art better!
I appreciate your comments and opinions Blake/Johnny, and this was in no way a defense of the product, or a "pitch" to get you back on board Smile

I honestly feel like I should have spent more time explaining that one part, because it is the only part I have had to explain since. Lol.

The PDF will make this all much stronger, and everyone that has it will get one. Smile

I have some writing to do this week!

And if you guys try out FAX, you will see that I do similar things in that.
FAX was MEANT to challenge the notion as to how we handle signatures in magic.
And there were many that felt it, "was not for them".
I am fine with that as I was not trying to make a "one stop solution"
Admittedly, in FAX, you have to sell an idea, and add an element to your routine that you may not like the motivation for.

FAX was critically lauded, in a way, I believe, because it succeeded.
Sure you had to make a compromise, but it allows for some truly insane reactions.
A trade-off, so to speak.

This is similar, but it is no way trying to challenge any notion of anything.
And it doesn't have any "weird" moments in my humble opinion, as the one noted I have said my personal thoughts on Smile

It is just a completely different approach to an outcome that serves many purposes.
And many are still searching for that "method" that works for them. This is another option with what I honestly believe is a beneficial premise. You cannot see.

A truly blind Mentalist would have everyone talking and any mentalist knows why Smile
(Not to say it cannot be done, it would take a lot of skill.)

I am just offering the option to give your audience that sensation, as I believe many traditional methods are open to skepticism due to it.

I hope I didn't say too much myself! But I am not a "secretive" creator.

I just do this all myself, and rarely do I get advisement on ad copy, demos, etc.
Just short messages from companies saying , "do this, do that".

I have enlisted hobbyists, but they get annoyed at my level of output. Smile LOL. Imagine that.

"Stop sending me ideas LokI!" Haha.

Thanks guys for your feedback

Best regards,
L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I am writing the PDF "REDACTED" and I just received an amazing message from Luca Volpe!

He addressed a procedural style that works with both the gadget and the techniques in a manner that I believe will please those that may think this ahds too many steps, or is convoluted in nature.

His approach is direct, fast, and aggressive!

But as he personally does that bit of procedure in his own work, I am awaiting his blessing to adapt it to this project. Smile

I hope he agrees as it will definitely help this please a wider audience of mentalists, while staying true to its advantages.

Thank you Luca!

L
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
While Loki has revealed a bit about what his trick provides, he has only scratched the surface. If the tidbits you have received are not enough for you to see that this is a very valuable tool...don't let yourself pass this up. This is such great stuff. There's lots here. I've moved from practice to performance and I'm still trying to "make it my own," but it's really getting killer reactions. So many convincers, subtleties, etc. for such a "cut and dry" effect. I'll stop now before Loki's head no longer fits in that hat. I'll go back to being Mr. Negativity in a different thread.

Rob
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Hey Robvs! Please share stories from the "Field", ok?!

And thank you for succinctly stating what usually takes me a page. haha

Side note:
Luca Volpe has allowed his additions, I am so Grateful!

This will add a whole other option that capitalizes on what is already strong about this system.
It will allow you to do it even faster, no "moves" really, and no need to cover the eyes to get the same "effect" of not being able to see!

Definitely more the "mentalism" route than the spy one. But as he himself pointed out, "Not everyone will want the spy route".
So I am thrilled that he has helped me mold this into an additional routine, that may appeal to mentalists more.

All to be revealed in the next 2 weeks with the reissue and the "REDACTED" PDF.

L
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Sounds really interesting... PM'd you Mr. Kross.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Thanks Relick666!

And I want EVERYONE to know that YES, EVERYONE will get the pdf.

And the way it is written, I probably won't even check. You will need the DVD to understand what I am about to write.
But with it, it will be easy to digest.

And not 40 pages like FAX, but more like 3-8. KISS.

Best,
L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Also, all major retailers should be distributing it with the DVD.
They do not know it yet, but it will be ok Smile

It's not the first time I have made free additions Smile

(Definitely not the last).

L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
60% of the gadgets for the next run have arrived.

At this rate I am hoping to send everything out to the replicator at the beginning of next week Smile

L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
All of the gadgets have arrived, and I am finished with the draft of "REDACTED". It is nearing 4,000 words now Smile

I will stay up and proof-read, then start hammering out the gadgets over the next day.

I should be sending all necessary items to the replicator's by Wednesday. Smile

I will keep all informed, and release the PDF to B2B owners after I have double-checked it.
So probably tomorrow Smile

Have a great evening everyone!

L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
"REDACTED" is "finished". (Peter Turner is going over it today for the final review. Luca said the placement and my description of his method was "Perfect!" so that should be exciting!)

The gadgets have been shipped and will arrive at the replicator's tomorrow. (Same as Deluxxe edition, no skimping! And replacement gadgets may be available in the future. Just not in the near future. Maybe a month or two.)

They already have the new box art.

So this should be done and heading to Murphy's next week.
Then they will go out to dealers, and from what I have heard; it should happen immediately. Smile

So while the Penguin site says "?", I believe these will be ready by the end of next week.

The "REDACTED" PDf will become available by the end of this week.

It is now almost 5,000 words and 15 pages. Smile There will be A LOT of info in it.

Thanks everyone!

Best,
L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Peter Turner has just contacted me back with his blessings to the additions I made on "REDACTED".

To paraphrase:
"It is sweet. I like the justifications and the tone of the piece, it is very well written."

So I will be contacting Murphy's to get this to all dealers ASAP, and then they will be made available to all of you Smile

I truly hope you enjoy the extra directions, scripts, and general tips that will double up on your B2B abilities!

Best,
L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I have received a couple messages stating the Penguin site does not actually have the PDF.
They are working on it for me currently.

If you got yours there and cannot access the PDF, email me at loki.kross@live.com, and I will take care of you.

(I may ask a simple question to assure you have it, but you probably would want the DVD to go with it anyways Smile )

Keep me informed friends,
L
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » A Billet to the Brain - a new effect from LokI Kross (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL