The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Morrisey Paul Fox Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
I have a set of Brass Paul Fox styled cups . There are only two cups and one has the Morrissey stamp inside. I had my suspicions that these were made for Tommy Wonder's two cup routine but I can gather no data that confirms or denies those suspicions. Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated. BTW - The set in Bill's museum is just two Morrissey cups, bag and pom pom. Tommy used what looks like copper Paul Fox cups.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
By "The Morrissey Stamp," do you mean the Canadian flag adhesive sticker?

The set in the Museum was one of about 2 or 3 dozen that Tommy made up to sell on his lecture tour. These were not the cups he performed with. He actually made the pom-poms and the bags. I have an e-mail from him to that effect.

He didn't tell me who made the cups he actually used.

If you could e-mail a photo to me, I might be able to tell you more about the cups you have.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
The cup is stamped in the metal as you would see on other morrissey brass items like the nest of boxes. I will try to send pic in the am.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've never seen a Morrissey stamp on any of their brass items.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
If it is an M with a circle on it ...then it is not Morrisey it is Milson Worth.

I have several brass items with that stamp on it. I got them directly from MW.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
No it's the Morrissey "M". It's nothing new.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I can't see it in the photos you sent me.

I have NEVER seen an "M" hallmark on any Morrissey item. They are closed on Mondays, so I'll call them tomorrow and see what I can find out about the cups and about the hallmark.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
Quote:
On 2013-08-04 03:48, padre rich wrote...

The cup is stamped in the metal as you would see on other morrissey brass items like the nest of boxes. I will try to send pic in the am.

I have the brass nest of boxes made by Viking Mfg. which is stamped with their hallmark. The combination of the "V" and the "M" (Viking Manufacturing) might look like just an "M". Here's a photo...

Greg
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Thank you Greg . I was mistaken . Thanks for the correction. Morrissey has used an m with a circle around it as logo. I believe it is still on there sign at there brick and mortar store. I have no idea why I always assumed that the Viking hallmark was Morrissey . Sorry for the confusion folks.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's interesting. I spoke to George Robinson a couple of hours ago, and he did not mention ever making any cups like this. I'll have to check with him and be more specific.

Bill
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Wow, I dug out the instructions for the Peerless Okito box that has that logo.
I was mistaken too....I have a wand from Milson not an okito box.
The Peeless Okito Box was made by Viking-Haenchen MFG. Co from Mc Allen, Tx, 78502

Maybe your cups were a protoype for something they were working on?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I just got off the phone with George Robinson, who is the owner of Viking MFG. He says that he did not make those cups. In fact, the only cups that have come out of the Viking-CW workshop are the ones for the Chuck Fayne routine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The cups for the Chuck Fayne routine were made when Rich Block still owned Collectors Workshop. they were actually spun by Jake.
They also had a seperate wand with brass tips for sale at one time (collectors not VH/CW).

Someone may have used their hallmarck in a set of knowckoff cups perhaps?
My friend had a set of older Cherry Wood en cups with a plaque set into a stand from VH ...they were limited in that very few sets were made but they were Monte style not Paul fox style cups. They were also one of the few sets that were not in or on your site Bill.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not sure why there are no photos of that wooden set. I have one. It consists of 3 normal cups and a solid one. I got two of them within a couple of months of each other. One of them was part of the Ray Goulet Collection. I still have it. I sold the other one.

I finally was able to see the "hallmark" in the photo that Padre Rich sent me. It doesn't appear to be a VM logo. It appears to be rather faint.

I'm surprised Jake spun the Chuck Fayne cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I was also surprised that Jake spun them as well.
It was a few years before RNT came back.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 17:28, Mobius303 wrote:
The cups for the Chuck Fayne routine were made when Rich Block still owned Collectors Workshop. they were actually spun by Jake.
They also had a seperate wand with brass tips for sale at one time (collectors not VH/CW).

Someone may have used their hallmarck in a set of knowckoff cups perhaps?
My friend had a set of older Cherry Wood en cups with a plaque set into a stand from VH ...they were limited in that very few sets were made but they were Monte style not Paul fox style cups. They were also one of the few sets that were not in or on your site Bill.

I found the cherrywood set that you referred to. Go onto the museum site, to the page of Unusual Cups. Scroll down about 40% of the way down, right after the zebrawood cups from the Ray Goulet collection. You will find those cups there.

BTW, when I mentioned that the only cups that came from Viking were the Chuck Fayne cups, I made a mistake or two. The only SPUN cups that V-H ever sold were the remainder of the Chuck Fayne cups that George bought when he acquired the business from CW. George has produced several wooden sets, including the cherrywood set mentioned above, as well as a number of sets of solid cups, chop cups and Indian style cups.

I found an error in the database. I had listed the four cup set as being made of copper, when in fact it should have been hardwood.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Morrisey Paul Fox Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL