The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spectator as mind reader (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
Quote:
On 2013-08-03 15:55, mastermindreader wrote:
Ed-

Have you considered having participants gaze into a crystal or other scrying-type object (ring, inkblot, hypno-spiral, watch crystal, etc.) as a means of "focusing" their thoughts?

I can't get into methods here, but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at. If an audience member later says to a friend, "Well I SAW it in the crystal," nothing would be exposed.

Sorry for the reception you got here.

Good thoughts,

Bob

@Bob
That's a cute little idea. Wish I'd thought of that! Smile

@Ed
I too am sorry for the reception you got but I assure not EVERYONE on the café is like this.

As a little expansion on Bob's idea in case your not overly keen on the risk involved perhaps you could try using a little post hypnotic suggestion to forget what you taught them so they (literally) won't go telling everyone else how to read minds! Perhaps this is a little vague. PM me if you don't understand and I will explain this more. Smile

Best,
John.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
Quote:
On 2013-08-03 17:04, parmenion wrote:
:)

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12245 Posts

Profile of John C
One more snarky reply, if the OP could post in paragraphs rather than one long discourse more folks may spend the time to reply, and with something more meaningful.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
First of all, you guys are a trip...

As for the spectator reading your mind you might consider this:

"I thought that it would be an interesting experiment if a member of the audience read my mind instead of the other way around. I have a particular card in mind. I took that card from the deck and turned it upside down."

(Remove deck of cards from pocket and place on table.)

"Now, I'm going to attempt to transmit the image of this card from my mind to yours. Are you ready? Good. Here we go... The first thing that I'm going to concentrate on is the color. Can you see the color? What color am I thinking of?"

Anyway, this is a presentation (as most of you will know) of the Invisible Deck in reverse. No forces, no stooges, no nothing.

And guys, why not listen to your mothers and play nice...
'Curiouser and curiouser."
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
In Funsway’s defense (not that he needs it) he is probably the closest thing to an actual shaman that I’m aware of on this board. Yes, he knows many of our “tricks”, but he also finds the “for real”. Lately he seems to prefer real to trickery. I think it’s more than an idea or philosophy for him; it’s actually become a way of life. I read everything; some of his postings are more practical (for my purposes) than others, but nothing I’ve seen is without merit on some level. A wise person once said, “Chew up the hay and spit out the stubble”.

(i ALSO WONDERED ABOUT THE cAPS lOCK, BECAUSE THE LETTERS THAT should HAVE BEEN cAPITALIZED WERE NOT lOWER cASE. sEE WHAT i MEAN?)

Directed to your initial query, the answers are indeed around you. Just by listing them, I’d have nothing but a magic catalog; it’s all in the presentation, however…

• I’ve been doing a variation of “Dot’s Impossible” using Zener cards for quite a while.

• A quick and dirty NW routine has them guessing the name of the state I just wrote down.

• I also use the ID in a manner very similar to what Scott describes.

...should get you started.

There are methods available. While your initial greeting may not have been warm and fuzzy, I think the suggestion was to open your mind. Penny hosts some of the brightest folks found on the Café. But they don’t all go in the same box! Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Smile
<BR>
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
Quote:
On 2013-08-04 06:38, parmenion wrote:

Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1537 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Clever use of language, and re-reading Annemann.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
13 Steps: pages 17 and 192. I think those are two pretty good effects for Spec as mind reader.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9054 Posts

Profile of funsway
I am making my effect "Falcon Eye" available to anyone here desiring a practical effect in which one Spectator apparently reads the mind of another. As always, the "price" is a written commitment to feedback to assist me in creating new material.

I have performed this effect many times in the last 50 years and have NEVER had any indication that either participant ever revealed how they thought it was accomplished. In contrast I received many comments that the participants had no idea how it was achieved, preferring instead to accept that they do have enhanced empathic abilities under certain conditions -- or enjoy "being the hero" to the extent that they mask what they know/suspect. Yes, there is trickery involved -- but the success comes from how the spectators and audience reacts to the outcome. One magician friend commented, "I do not wish to know how this was done. I prefer the memory of the gasps from the audience and the tears in Sharon's eyes."

The most difficult part for some performers is removing themselves from "center stage" and allowing two spectators to be the heroes. How to follow up could be a problem.

Requests to gusarimagic@comcast.net
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Smile
<BR>
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9054 Posts

Profile of funsway
Numerous threads on "conjury" forums have dealt with selection of Volunteer Assistants. The ability to select the "right ones" -- or at least avoid the disastrous ones -- may be critical to the success of any effect in which a spectator participates in a demonstration of mind reading -- of the performer or another spectator or a person not in attendance. I cannot speak to the unique requirements of a Mentalist in a long show offering a variety of demonstrations as I don't do that. I do believe that "who you are perceived to be" is critical to the success of any Volunteer Assistant effect -- but that is just an opinion. I do know that there are techniques that can be employed to increase the likelihood of getting a "good" volunteer.

I offer a little story. Yes, it is about a conjury type magician rather than a Mentalist, but each performer here should be able to extract something of value to reflect on their own approach to finding a volunteer. Keep the seed and toss away the chaff.

The Hand of Magic

I did not know there was going to a magician at the Assisted Living Center – just took my neighbor to see her Ma. Turns out there was a celebration of some sort with lots of visitors, family as well as residents. I thought of how difficult it might be to “know your audience” in such a setting and pondered on which effects I might perform. Thus, my interest in this unknown guy was more than trickery and presentation.

He performed mostly traditional effects with lots of color and laugher, perhaps trying to rekindle a memory or two of past loved wonders and mystery. The audience was small enough for half-dollar sized coins and his Coins to Glass effect was well received by everyone. Then he did something quite unexpected and miraculous.

He said, “I know – you know – that there is magic in each of you – that what you enjoy is meeting my magic with your own magic deep inside. I am going to need the help of someone who would like to have their own magic emerge – not as an Assistant, but one who will perform a bit of magic for us all to appreciate. How many would be willing to do some magic? Please raise your hands.

Amazing! Thank you. Now, I am going to ask that each of you extend that raised hand in front of you, palm open. Turn it downward as if placing your hand gently on the head of a troubled child. Now upwards as if gathering raindrops. Close your hand quickly – did you catch one? No – don’t look, just enjoy the experience. Please imagine that instead of a raindrop you captured an invisible coin. Place your hand over your heart like this so that the “eyes of heart” can see as well – get your feelings involved. Use your mind alone to sense what that coin is like – its size, color, weight and value. Don’t squeeze too tightly or allow it to fly away. You don’t have to see it to know that it is there.

If your neighbor could describe your magic coin you are destined to be a Mentalist. If they can tell of the coins history you are destined to be a story-teller. If you can change that invisible coin into a solid coin for all to see you are destined to be a conjuror. If you can do all three you may be a wizard. Who is willing to describe their coin to me?”

Several volunteers dropped their hands during his directions and other opened their hands to see what was there. Four people still held their hands over their heart like ancient Romans paying tribute. Each of these described their cherished coin. One gave details of a golden coin and was directed to hold his extended hand over the performer’s and allow the coin to drop on his empty palm. Suddenly an actual gold coin appeared, was shown to all and gifted to the volunteer. Another was given a basket of mixed coins and told to drop their coin inside to join the others. A second said she could feel the coin grow warm but could not describe it. She was given a large wood tray to hold. The third was told to place his coin in his pocket to later gift to another person in need of inspiration – and then to stand at the magician’s right side.

The effect that followed is of little importance, save that the Volunteer entertained everyone with amazing magic in which the magician served as Assistant to the Volunteer. I was too busy reflecting on the question, “How does one find a perfect Volunteer?” or “Do you make them?” Either way, it is magical.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Do not have it - but could be interesting for you:

http://www.full52.com/springboard.htm
WitchesHat
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of WitchesHat
The problem funswoay is nothing in your posts is relevant to the questions of the original poster. You've 'offered' him three lectures that he didn't ask for.

Everyone has a life philosophy and everyone has a way of doing things, but we don't all have to agree. Derren Brown and Tommy Cooper are both excellent entertainers but they're polls apart in terms of presentation and performance style. Neither is right or wrong, better or worse etc, they are both entertaining.

This is not a forum of shamans, life coaches, mystics or seers. This is not a philosophy forum, nor is this a forum where people come to seek your advice. It's not your job to correct how people view the world.

This poster has asked for methods in trickery that will create the illusion of a spectator reading their mind in a performance setting, and not have the spectator know any trickery was involved. If you have experience of advice relevant to that then by all means post it, otherwise respect the fact that people come here with different performance styles and life plans to you.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
For the record, the 'Falcon Eye' effect that Funsway offered a few posts back is well worth reading. A bold and interesting solution to the spectator ad mind-reader plot with a strong presentation.

It won't suit every performer, but it certainly provides food for thought.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9054 Posts

Profile of funsway
Interesting WItchesHat -- and I respect your opinion. Yet I don't see where you get to decide what this forum is about or decide what is relevant.

The original post started with "the concept of a spectator as mind reader effect." As a "concept" it should be open to any interpretation and approach. I do not see where he asked for "methods of trickery" or "create the illusion of" -- those are your take, and perhaps part of your life plan. I come with a different view, that by your own words you should respect. If the title were "Tricking a spectator into thinking they are a mind reader" I probably would not have even read the posting.

I have experience on the "trickery" side as evidenced by the effect I have offered. But I also suggest that the desire or willingness to perform such an effect must be based on other considerations than "know what." My experience is that any time you involve a spectator in a public demonstration you must be aware of other considerations that "will this entertain the audience." Also, the ability to find and gain the trust of a Volunteer involves skills not found in the "trick" explanation. My failing, I guess -- and one reason I don't chose to do a Mentalism show.

When ones asked for help or assistance with a "concept" there are "seeking advice." If you do not like this advice you should ignore it. If your "life philosophy" equates "entertainment" only with "trickery" then by all means skip any post I make. I have no desire to correct anyone's view of the world. Why do you wish to correct mine? I have never claimed to be any of the things you ascribe to me above. But, yes, there is always a philosophical component to everything I write and do in life -- my way of doing things. I am not one person on stage and another at home or in a classroom or in church. Any value in what I offer is because it comes from a different point of view and different life experience.

The beauty of any Internet forum is that it is non-intrusive. The reader gets to decide what responses to read and which to ignore. They get to decide what "thoughts" work for them and which do not. Oops, that is a lecture, right?

I'll be interested in any response you have to the "trick" I offer.

newguy
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of newguy
The August offering from Real Secrets (www.realsecrets.info) is one of the easiest and best Spectator as Mindreader effects I have encountered. Easy to perform, really deceptive, no writing, no lists, not a card trick.

Pretty great.

Anyone else here try it?
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Smile
<BR>
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 17:49, parmenion wrote:

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spectator as mind reader (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL