The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The prop Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Some guys bring a lots of stuff to the show and some don't.Then some guys keep their props on table and I keep them under the table.Though I love my table clean and want all the attentions to me.I definitely take some time to go to the next magic and the place looks less colorful.I am not okay with taking a Botania for a 1 minute trick.But definitely Botania is a very nice magic.s it because I was/am a sleight of hand guy?I just take a small backpack and do the show.I am trying to change things but still it feels wrong.What do you think?Can someone please put some sense in my big head?I
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I think if your style works for you, that IS what makes sense. People spend their whole careers trying to find their 'style' and end up copying everybody else's, never trusting themselves. Trust yourself. If what you are doing is working, you don't need more stuff. Anybody can fill up a stage with stuff. It's better to fill it up with personality, and it sounds like you are already doing that.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
You need to brand yourself with your look, demeanor, props, stage presence, and they should all add up to be Y-O-U. Your marketing, your logo, costumes, your business cards should all reflect your brand.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Oh my, the age old question...

Asgar, What feels wrong? Just taking a backpack to a show or trying to change that?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Just be yourself. As long as you are keeping the audience entertained, you are on the right track. To me bigger and colorful props are better.
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Feels wrong to weigh my bags with heavy one minute props when I can have a more than 30 minute great materials just in my trouser pockets-sponge/multipying balls,cards(for card transfer or six card repeat),coins,tt(silk & Bill change),dye tube,rope,eggbag.Then have a funnel,misers dream bucket.color book,rockey.... to finish the show.These are all really good magic and can stand next to any big prop.Only when I have repeat shows I change some of it for
The question is how much the kids like the big props?I think as a professional we should care more about entertaining the kids and less about our personality.If we are that good we will get many chances to show that in other shows.
Kids like me and I do not need any magic to make them like me.It is because I enjoy their company too and I have couple of screws loose here and there but the kids party planners sometimes complain that I have a light show.However,I never had any complain from any guardians .They rather congratulate me at the end.I had many repeat shows as well as some tips(hahhahah).
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Personaly I go for a ballance , I use a rabbit production, a clatter box, and linking rings. Those are my larger props, the other items in my act are ribbons, silk,wands ECT
I try to ensure that my shows each fit in my table case so that need one journey from the car . If I require amplication then 2 journeys
Phil
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-08-04 01:30, asgar wrote:
Feels wrong to weigh my bags with heavy one minute props

Don't let the props control you, you control the props. Be creative. Take control and make longer routines with those props you are talking about.
Quote:
The question is how much the kids like the big props?

I use bigger props because of better vision for the audience. I do a lot of stage shows.
Quote:
I think as a professional we should care more about entertaining the kids and less about our personality.

It is our "personality" that plays a strong role in entertaining the kids. They like seeing a magician that is happy and exciting.
Quote:
Kids like me and I do not need any magic to make them like me.

Maybe being a magician is not your interest. You ever thought about becoming a clown instead?
Quote:
the kids party planners sometimes complain that I have a light show.However,I never had any complain from any guardians .

It might be the guardians complaining about your show to the party planners afterwards. There are times guardians rather not want to discuss it with you in the middle of a party.
Quote:
I had many repeat shows as well as some tips(hahhahah).

They are probably tipping you to buy bigger props (hahhahah).
Quote:
On 2013-08-03 19:32, asgar wrote:
I am not okay with taking a Botania for a 1 minute trick.But definitely Botania is a very nice magic.

Well do more in your routine to make it last longer. For example:

Have a Mouth Coil inside the cone at the start. Tape is needed. Pull the Mouth Coil out at the start to show a display of colors. Next show the cone is empty by letting the kids look through it. Next, get a lot of oohs and aahs by displaying the Botania. You can pull out tied silks instead for the start.

Another idea is to let the kids see you put a magic wand in the cone at the start. Half of the wand is shown sticking up, the other half is in the cone. Loosen your fingers so the wand will drop to the floor as it falls through the cone. Act surprised as you see the wand on the floor. You can get a lot of comedy from that routine as the kids are yelling to you, "It is on the floor!" Do it repeat times before displaying the Botania.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Kids don't care how big your props are. Kids care about how entertaining your show is.

Kids like their performers to take them on a journey, to spin a yarn, to capture their imagination. You can do that with big props, or you can do it with a big Y-O-U. My friends Ken Northridge and DynoMike do it with big props, and I do it with small props it really doesn't matter.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Asgar,

Are you an entertainer?
Do you entertain with your backpack?

You seem to be concerned with the entertainment value of your performance. Which is so important.
I have known "magicians" who own many thousands of dollars in props, that are horrible entertainers.
I have also know brilliant card technicians who are also not very entertaining.

Just to be clear...I love props, I have a many. However I find myself relying less and less on them in my old age.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Why use a strong thing as a mouth coil with your botania routine.Mouth coil can be used in much better routines.For example torn and restored tissue or after paper balls over the head.
The wand and Botania act is too old.everybody does that.I already use similar kind of comedy with other acts.
None of your routines bring anything interesting to me.You could have said something about the patter because I feel people seem to neglect the Botania's patter.Botania is a flash production routine and one should accept this.

The guardians do not complain.The party planners normally see magicians with table full of props and shiny clothes.So they think everyone should do that.The guardians may like me because the kids like me and the guardians are entertained as well for one third fee.

I like kids and have fun with them.There is no reason to demean my interest in magic.I meant that I can make the kids laugh for 15 minutes without any magic.Don't we all do that more or less?I felt that was also an insult to clowns.Children magicians do a lot of clown stuff.Check Silly Billy.IMHO if you like kids and have fun with them.They will be entertained and will like you even you are not acting like a clown,wearing silly suits(white/shiny black/orange/blue) or some shiny jewelery.That means my backpack show is enough to entertain them and their guardians.however the question is- Do the kids like big props?It is not about how entertaining you are?Do they expect or want it?If the want big props should I be too egotistical to ignore that?IT IS NOT ABOUT ME ITS ABOUT THEM AND THEIR EXPECTATIONS.You go to a Superman movie and find it very deep,thoughtful,no special effects yet very entertaining.Will you still miss the action and special effects?

I should have used the word style instead of personality.I wanted to say that sometimes we are too busy with doing what we want and keep our style that we neglect what the kids want.even if my thing works -shouldn't I try to be a better entertainer?Sorry but I was not talking about happy or goofy magicians.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What country are you in?
drewer
View Profile
New user
NoVa
100 Posts

Profile of drewer
If I'm understanding the question properly, then I would say that kids DO like big props. I remember when I was a kid (I'm only 18 so it wasn't too long ago), I was fascinated by just looking at a magician's big onstage prop. I wanted to see what this huge thing would do. Obviously you can't bring a huge illusion to a kids' show, but I do think that one "big" trick is good. I feel that the bigger the prop, the bigger the magic feels. Plus, illusions can add value to the show and make it seem larger than it really is.
Of course, like the others have said, kids are entertained by smaller tricks, too.
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Sorry that I lost my cool in the last post.Personally attacked one too.Wanted to give him his own medicine but went too far.Sorry again.I am a guy with few loose nuts.HAHA.I have already explained my opinions/statements with support and examples.I am only concerned with entertaining and try not to show off.I do have big props even some illusions.So I do not hate them at all,they are just big and heavy.Sorry.Enough with this topic for me.Valete, socii mei!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If the props are so small that you are doing close-up on an individual, while the other kids can not see what is going on is wrong. And if you are making contact with only the volunteer with close-up tricks, and not the audience, the audience will get bored.
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
When it comes to kids' magic, I'm all for props! I have memories like Drewer (only many more years ago) of the magician that came to our school. I was fascinated by the colorful props he displayed. Nothing too big, but colorful and unusual looking. I certainly agree that the success of the show depends on the showmanship of the performer, but the visual element of the show can make a difference too. Some of the best performers in the world (not only magicians) put a lot of thought and money into the staging of their show, even though their talent is the best. It only makes a great show greater. We are talking about props on a smaller scale, but I think the same reasoning applies. I also think that a backdrop can be invaluable when the occasion calls for it. Ever been put in front of a gym wall with a No Smoking sign and fire extinguisher behind you? How about a wall of windows in a family room overlooking the distractions of people in the pool (that occasionally stick their faces to the glass and see what's going on behind your back)? If that hasn't happened to you (yet) consider yourself lucky. A backdrop can solve staging problems like this very easily and make for a more successful show.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
You might be able to entertain with a small bag of supplies, but why not do what you can to charge the highest fee for your show? If you charge a high fee, parents want to see STUFF. My show fits into a suitcase table that I velcro a banner to the front of. I have a side table in addition to that. I bring an 8x10 foot backdrop. I bring a portable PA system with a microphone. I bring a chair suspension. I bring Bigger Wands. I am able to charge 3 times as much as the guy that just sets a bag on a chair.

What it really comes down to is are you happy with the fee you are getting for the show you provide? If you don't get complaints about your show, you really can provide the show that you already are.
-Matt
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I put big props in the same category as a rabbit. Of course kids love both and they can only positively add to the overall impact of a show - and perceived value.

But days later, nobody will remember the props. They will only remember whether they had a great time. So make that your focus and do whatever it takes to yield the best result.

And remember, there are plenty of great production items and routines such as lopsided cyclops that pack small but play huge!

- Gary
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
As a child I loved magic - but had no interest in props. As an adult that has not changed. I do not use kids show props. I would not be caught dead with them - colouring books, production boxes, botanias, etc. Snorefest material, to me as a spectator.

I work light. My stuff normally fits into a small case, but I could get it all into my pockets easily. But small bits does not have to mean small shows. Today I played at a theme park to audiences of several hundred, with small props.

It is all down to your own personality. If you feel comfortable working with small items then that is the route to go, and don't feel embarrassed. I have occasionally got that line from bookers, that someone else uses bigger props than me, and fills the stage with junk. My answer is simple; book them and get props, or book me and get entertainment. I know that sounds arrogant, but if you want to keep booking shows, you need a streak of arrogance in you.

Identify what makes you unique and sell yourself on that basis. I tell people that I will keep their kids laughing for an hour. I don't promise rabbits or feather flowers. As a kid they bored me, so why would I bore kids with them now?

Be yourself - and be proud and unapologetic about that.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
There have been several similar threads to this one. I feel that you have to work to your market. If the bookers want props, give them props. If the amount that they pay is in proportion to the amount of junk you have on stage, bring junk. If you're trying to earn your living doing magic, you have to give them what they want, regardless of how many trips to the car it takes.
BTW, if you twist balloons as part of your act, you can decorate the entire stage without carrying more than a few pounds, a helium tank, and some fishing weights.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The prop Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL