We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Very cool first time in US competition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
http://new.livestream.com/louderthan11/p......26265835

This is a very cool climbing competition that was held in Utah at the Winter Sports Park with a climbing wall over the ski jump pool. Competitors had to free climb the extremely difficult 55 foot route over the pool. Single elimination. Climber to get the highest without falling into the pool advances to next round. I think this is the first time this type of competition was held here in the US. This had some of the best climbers in the US and other parts of the world competing. It was live streamed on Friday night I think but there are multiple videos showing the entire competition.

For those of you who have never climbed, this wall is rated at a 5.13+ which is REALLY hard. After 4 years of climbing I still couldn't climb a 5.12 and I doubt I would be able to make the first move on this wall. These competitors make a lot of it look easy but believe me, it's TOUGH!

The event starts at about the 40min mark on the first video. The little gal seeded 1st is one of the top female competitors in the world and looks like Kate Hudson I thought. Check it out.

Mike
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
It's called a deep water competition and the mens route is actually a high 5.14 which is insanely difficult. Only one guy was able to top out on the wall. To give you an idea of some of the types of moves, near the top the last two holds consist of a mono, which means you can only fit one finger in a hole in the hold and the next hold is about the width of two credit cards.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On 2013-08-03 23:01, rockwall wrote:
These competitors make a lot of it look easy but believe me, it's TOUGH!
Mike

NONE of it looks easy to me but I'm challenged by a high ladder. Smile
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1016 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
That was very impressive! Thanks
Bob
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Come on guys! This was so awesome! No one else thought so???

Deep water soloing is something done in a lot of other parts of the world like Thialand. You find a cliff that overhangs the ocean. You climb without any protection until you fall off into the ocean. So cool!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Here's a quick video of Chris Sharma doing it in Mallorca, Spain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5ZLctA-pcY

It was Chris Sharma who put on this competition and who NPR once called the greatest rock climber in the world. He's the only guy to top out at the competition in SL on his first run but then he fell on his 2nd climb and was eliminated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Very cool first time in US competition (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL