The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Roth/Darwin Ortiz Live in Charlotte Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave Schutt
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Dave Schutt
I was fortunate enough this weekend to witness a truly unique and entertaining performance by these two masters of their profession. It was in Charlotte, NC and was a autobiographical play about the careers and friendship of these two magi. It was called "All of the People, All of the Time." Charlotte is where the production originated and had a one week run at the Charlotte Repetorie Theater in Spirit Square. I'm not sure what or where they are planning to continue this show.

I was very excited when a friend had told me about Roth and Ortiz performing in Charlotte, especially since we don't get a lot of magic entertainment passing through town. The I learned it was a "play" or as they coined it a "magical" sort of a musical where magic substituted for the music. Well, my wife who hates magic, agreed to go with me so I took a chance to see this "magical" and was blown away.

It was a simple production in the 190 capacity theater. Oriz and Roth were joined by a male and female actor who played multiple roles as the story required. The audience was also actively participating in the effects as well. It told the story how they both grew up in New York and were introduced in a Caféteria by Oscar Fromm, pardon the spelling. It followed how they struggled in their careers and finally fulfilled one of their dreams to play at the Magic Castle. The moral of the story rings out to follow your dreams and do what you love to do!

I was only familiar with Ortiz by name and reputation but his performance was flawless. I'm a big fan of Roth's and have multiple videos and his expert coin magic book. Here are some of the routines he performed in the show: Portable Hole, Miser's Dream, Hanging Coins, Silver Brass Transpo, and others. They performed all their effects with the precision and grace of a well choregraphed ballet.

I must admit and my wife agreed it was much more entertaining to witness these two virtuosos in this story based performance than two hours of "for my next trick." In summary, keep your eyes open to see if this show is coming to your town and make an effort not to miss it. Support the arts, and your fellow magician!

My only disappointment is that I lugged my "Expert Coin Magic" book to the performance in hopes that Mr.Roth could autograph it, but after the performance there was no curtain call and I was not successful in my endeavor. Smile Smile
Dave Schutt
Charlotte, NC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Roth/Darwin Ortiz Live in Charlotte Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL