The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Smoke from hand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Anyone try using these small fog machines to create a puff of smoke from your hand.

Obviously the smoke really comes from your sleeve or vest....but, I was curious about the triggering mechanism, hiding the gimmick and if the smoke lasts being forced through a tube ?

Any thoughts of ideas ?

PS: I know there are some versions on the market (I own Smoke 2000...but, am looking for other alternatives.)

Thanx !

Jeff Smile
Long Island,

New York
Red_Wing_II
View Profile
Regular user
Enchanted Mitten
164 Posts

Profile of Red_Wing_II
I have tried model train smoke put through a tube, but I can't seem to get a long enough length without it condensing too proctically nothing.

I was considering US2K why don't you like it?
Shenaniganz
View Profile
New user
Cypress, CA
100 Posts

Profile of Shenaniganz
There is an oil you can make from the striking part of a matchbook, that smokes when rubbed between your fingers. Its not alot of smoke, but it looks really cool. Its great for close-up, and you don't have to worry about getting caught with a gimmick.
Is anyone familiar with this? How do you use it?
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
I have read about this and tried it. You take that strip off the back of a match book and burn it. The "oil" that is created forms smoke when you rub it between your fingers. It does look pretty cool, but the smell that is left on your hands is pretty hard to wash off.
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
You need to wrap the striker strip around something nickel coated when you burn it, like a key. lots of metal objects are nickel coated to give them a silver finish.

alternatively there is the HCL / NH3 method. I like this, I know some people don't, but I've never had a problem with the chemicals.
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
Why do you need to burn it with nickel?
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Answering Red_wing_II:
US2K has been a favorite of mine for years but has damaged a lot of clothing. The stuff is corrosive and seems to attack certain materials like jacket liners. Rigging can involve babypins that also rust and damage the clothing. I Love it Nonetheless and Continue to use it, but be warned that clothing can be ruined.

There is also a part of it that gets brittle and needs replacement. It's kind of nasty stuff.

My favorite daily use is to take a Funkenring and US2K to the grocery store. I comment that there is a loose wire on the credit card swiper and let the ring and smoke go off as I handle it. "Yeoow, You better get that checked out". One time a manager would not believe it was a joke and was going to shut the whole system down. "No No" , said a customer in line, "You know him, he's That magician"

Smile
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Red_Wing_II
View Profile
Regular user
Enchanted Mitten
164 Posts

Profile of Red_Wing_II
How fast do you ruin jackets. 1 a year or does it take a while. I spend between 250 and 300 for a suit jacket and don't want to replace one every few months but I also usually buy a new suit every other year any way so will it really matter to me?

BTW: I like funkinrings too, I like to walk up on the other side of a computer monitor, lean on it from behind while loosening the power cord. I then let some sparks fly as I pull the plug on the monitor. Its all in good fun, but I have given some people a heart attack thinking they just lost the past few hours work!! Only works once per person though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Smoke from hand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL