The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Salsa (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2487 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Anybody out there have a good salsa recipe to share? From another thread remember, I like a little kick, and a lot of flavor. Jalepenos are good for me, habenaros maybe in small amounts.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Not really fresh, fresh, but super easy and fast to make. I tried this a couple times. It's really good:

1 can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted are an extra bonus)
1 can Rotel tomatoes w/green chiles (regulate your own heat)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1-2 cloves Garlic minced
Jalapenos to taste (I've used both fresh and jar type with good results both times)
1/4 -1/2 tsp sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp salt
1/4 -1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4-1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
juice of one lime

One of the times I added a small (8oz) can of tomato sauce to stretch it. Worked fine.

I put everything in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds to the consistency that I liked.

You will notice that there is a bit of flexibility with quantities. Consider the amounts to be ballpark guidelines. You can go more or less on most of the ingredients, depending on what you like. I can also see adding some whole kernel corn or black beans as a simple way to jazz it up.

Basic concept... no rules! And it beats the hell out of the jar crap in the stores. Of course totally fresh ingredients will be better, but this is a really nice quick throw-together when you have unexpected company.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Habanero, Tomatillo, and Orange Salsa

1 lb. tomatillos
3 – 6 habanero chiles
2 oranges
1 bunch of green onions
salt
lime juice

Finely dice half the tomatillos and put them in a bowl. Halve the remaining tomatillos and place the halves skin-side up under a broiler, along with the chiles. Turn the chiles every two minutes or so to evenly roast them. When the skins are well-charred, place the roasted tomatillos and the chiles in a blender and puree them. (Be very careful not to inhale the fumes from the puree; they’re very potent.) Put the pureed tomatillo-chile mixture in the bowl with the diced tomatillos.

Juice one of the oranges and add the orange juice to the bowl. Peel the other orange, removing as much of the pith as possible, seed the orange if necessary, and finely dice the orange. Add the diced orange to the bowl.

Finely slice the green onions and add them to the bowl. Season the salsa with salt and lime juice to taste, and refrigerate it for one-half hour before serving.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
By the way, I frequently jazz when I make salsa. Some combinations I've made are:

Mangoes, (ripe) serranos, cilantro, pomegranate arils, green onions, salt & lime juice

Tomatoes, tomatillos, cayennes, red onion (sauteed), green onions, cumin, salt & lime juice
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Nice stuff there, Bill! I bought some mangoes recently, but could not resist just eating them plain. I found a recipe for mango/avocado salad with a balsamic vinaigrette, which in finer dice could serve as a nice salsa for grilled fish or something else.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Thanks, Michael.

I generally dice half of each mango; I put the other half under the broiler until it's just a bit charred, then puree it.

You really need ripe chilies with the mangoes because they're sweet; underripe, green, chilies just don't taste quite right.

I made some of each of these three for Lobo's birthday party (except that pomegranates aren't in season yet); he returned the empty containers last week.

That salad sounds great!

Come back in November for an habanero cranberry relish recipe.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
By the way, Cliff: I have a ton of ripe chilies now: serranos, cayennes, arboles, kung paos, Fresnos, and habaneros. If you're interested in some and can make it to Yorba Linda before Sunday, I'll happily give you a bunch: we're going on vacation for a week, and if I harvest them they'll just be sitting around getting dried out (and if I don't harvest them I fear I'll come home to find they've been devestated by stupid tobacco hornworms!). Alas, no ripe poblanos at the moment, and you're not getting my ghost chilies!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have not tried this yet, but saw it the other day and thought it sounded really good.

Mango & Avocado Salad

1 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
1 TBSP Lime Juice
2 TBSP EVOO
salt and black pepper to taste

Whisk above ingredients together in a large serving bowl.

Toss in 2 each Mangoes and Avocados, cubed, plus 1/2 small red onion, diced. Serve immediately. (4 servings)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Here's one of our favorites:

Jalapeño salsa

3-4 roma tomatoes
1 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 bunch green onions
1 small or 1/2 medium yellow or white onion
juice of 2 limes
big heaping tablespoon of minced garlic- I buy mine minced in a big jar for convenience.
1 Tbs salt
1 Tbs black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 bunch cilantro
7 jalapeños
water

In a large blender, mine is 72 oz, add everything up to the onion powder, chopping the tomatoes and the onions a little before adding so they process better.

Pulse on chop until everything is chopped and mixed.

add cilantro and jalapeños and some water- maybe start with 1/2 cup of water.

Pulse on chop until chopped and blended.

I will run it on liquify briefly for a couple seconds and add water to desired consistency. You don't want to blend salsa with fresh tomatoes too much or the tomatoes react strangely and act as a thickener- another reason for the water.

Enjoy! Heat can vary with the jalapeño crop.

I have another salsa recipe that is HOT if anyone is interested I can add it later. It uses dried chile Japones.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 22:06, Preston68 wrote:
Here's one of our favorites:

Jalapeño salsa

3-4 roma tomatoes
1 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 bunch green onions
1 small or 1/2 medium yellow or white onion
juice of 2 limes
big heaping tablespoon of minced garlic- I buy mine minced in a big jar for convenience.
1 Tbs salt
1 Tbs black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 bunch cilantro
7 jalapeños
water

In a large blender, mine is 72 oz, add everything up to the onion powder, chopping the tomatoes and the onions a little before adding so they process better.

Pulse on chop until everything is chopped and mixed.

add cilantro and jalapeños and some water- maybe start with 1/2 cup of water.

Pulse on chop until chopped and blended.

I will run it on liquify briefly for a couple seconds and add water to desired consistency. You don't want to blend salsa with fresh tomatoes too much or the tomatoes react strangely and act as a thickener- another reason for the water.

Enjoy! Heat can vary with the jalapeño crop.

Sounds good!

Quote:
On 2013-08-21 22:06, Preston68 wrote:
I have another salsa recipe that is HOT if anyone is interested I can add it later. It uses dried chile Japones.

Please. I love Japones!
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Okay! I'll try and post it tomorrow as I'm off to my night job in a few minutes.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1172 Posts

Profile of imgic
We'll use whatever we have around. Peaches are in season in Colorado right now so last night I put together some Peach Salsa:

4 peaches: skinned, pitted chopped
2 roma tomatoes: seeded & chopped
1 heirloom tomato; seeded & chopped
2 jalepenos: seeded and chopped fine
1 bell pepper: seeded and chopped
1/2 a medium sweet onion chopped
a bit less than tablespoon salt
dash of lime juice
sprinkle of dried cilantro

Was pretty much gone at end of dinner...heck, just chopped tomatoes and onion with some salt is better than jarred stuff anyday.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
...heck, just chopped tomatoes and onion with some salt is better than jarred stuff anyday.

:applause:
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4445 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
You ain't going to like it but....

1 gallon of petrol,
A little oil
Some shoe leather
A hand full of change....

And buy a pot of Doritos ready made jar stuff you dissing...

OK I might get round to trying one of these recipes soon - we have taken to nachos recently so will get round to trying one soon.

What's the best from the above list? Ain't doing them all just to find out!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6819 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Dave, Doritos ready made jar stuff??? No, this is much better, and makes a good base:

http://www.iheartpublix.com/wp-content/u......alsa.png

Doug
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Okay- here's the hot version:

First, in the blender put in a large (28 oz?) can of diced tomatoes, one or two chopped roma tomatoes, half a large chopped onion or 1 small, the juice of 2 limes (or I will also use bottled lemon juice), a huge heaping Tbs of minced garlic, maybe a couple green onions if you have them, and 1 Tbs salt, 1 Tbs black pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder.

Pulse on Chop until chopped and mixed. Don't overdo it. This is your base.

Now... for the scary part. Muahahahaha!

I don't usually measure the japones peppers, but have sometimes used two of the bags that are about 5"x7". Does that make sense? I usually buy them in bulk since they sell them like that at some of the Mexican markets here in Tucson.

Whatever- you want enough to practically fill a regular sized cast iron skillet. Remove any stems. Start heating your pan on medium heat and turn on the vent on high and even open a window if you have one in your kitchen. This roasting process will cause coughing, eye watering and possibly divorce or abandonment! Put a little oil- about a Tbs, in the hot pan and add your peppers to almost completely filling the pan. This may sound ridiculous, but we like it hot! You can use less if you want, of course. Roast until they're almost all black with some still having a little red to them, stirring as you go.

Transfer the roasted peppers to your base in the blender. In my 72 oz Kitchen Aid it pretty much fills the blender, sometimes I have to chop it down a little to add all of them. Anywho- add the hot peppers to the blender and pour about a 1/2 to 1 cup of water over them. Pulse on chop until they're chopped down and mixed in. Add water for your desired consistency and hit liquify for a couple seconds to really blend it. Sometimes I will also add water and stir after pouring the salsa into the storage container. This is a pretty thick salsa though, I will make it this weekend and post some pics.

Like the other recipe, you don't want to over-blend it with fresh tomatoes in there so you can also put it on stir just to gently finish the job, adding any more water if necessary.

This stuff isn't for everyone, but for everyone who does like it hot, they love this salsa! I like to slather it on homemade fried tacos. So good!

Enjoy!
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

So here's the assembling of the ingredients for the rocket fuel Smile

Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

These are chiles Japones for those that don't know

Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Assembling the base:

Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Salsa (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL