The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion advice?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
SO Im a full time pro and am mostly as stand up style performer. I have and idea which is unique and theatrical that has been in my mind and written down for a while. It follows a story line and I'm going to use a few pretty basic stage illusions. I would like a Broom suspension that can possibly be used to actually "sweep" with or look like you are sweeping. Also I would have like a vanish maybe like a dakota chair?!?! but I also have and idea that uses a sub trunk if a chair style vanish is too pricy or not logical. Also a Master prediction system?

My question is which types of these items are the best bang for their buck?? And which brands should I stay away from? Whats the best?

Where is the best place to look for these things?

THanks in advance!!!
jaynet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of jaynet
Broom- Bill Smith and Peter gossamar gimmick-Don't go cheap as this illusion can itreally hurt your assistant. As well generallythe better made the illusion the better it will perform and not break down.
Dekolta Chair-Any great builder or check out Magic Auction . do you want a stylized (rock and roll or vegas) chair or a classic wooden chair?
Sub Trunk- Depends on style do you want a wooden trunk? then get a chalet style trunk. Ask Smokey mountain magic if he can build you one.
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
296 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Broom - have an exact duplicate of the broom made. Use it for whatever, carry it behind the curtain as it opens, ditch it, put your hand on the broom in the base as if you just set the loose broom there. Audience has only seen one broom, has no reason to assume a switch was made.
I believe someone does a similar thing with Origami (appears to set the folded separate box on table as curtains open).
a.k.a. Nathan Allen
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Hi Chris - I see you are based out of Toronto. There is an illusionist from Saskatchewan with a great broom suspension for sale. He is also a member of the Café and is very reputable. I also have a brand new DeKolta Chair illusion that I have recently listed for sale at an incredible price. I am based out of Edmonton, Alberta (PM me for details). In short, quality used illusions are available in Canada. This can save you on shipping, customs and duty.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
On 2013-08-07 09:41, T. Durden wrote:
Broom - have an exact duplicate of the broom made. Use it for whatever, carry it behind the curtain as it opens, ditch it, put your hand on the broom in the base as if you just set the loose broom there. Audience has only seen one broom, has no reason to assume a switch was made.
I believe someone does a similar thing with Origami (appears to set the folded separate box on table as curtains open).

I believe when doing the Broom Suspension with brooms two are usually used. One that the girl(?) is suspended on and the other that is removed at the beginning of the routine. So there would be no need to switch brooms.

John
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
844 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Thanks Kent for sharing about my Chalet Broom Suspension. Yes, it is still available to the right person.

Thanks again!

Lou
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
I too am interested in buying a broom suspension.

I can't go into much detail, but what I can say is I'll be using this on my own and my only concern is whether a broom suspension can handle my weight, I'm a wopping 220lb, due to my height - 6'2.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Kind regards.

Neil.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Richiardi used to grab the normal broom from a stage hand sweeping and had a hole in the stage for the matching gimmicked broom which seems way cooler than using a heavy base. Maybe on youtube ..
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
On 2013-08-08 19:08, bluedragon wrote:
I too am interested in buying a broom suspension.

I can't go into much detail, but what I can say is I'll be using this on my own and my only concern is whether a broom suspension can handle my weight, I'm a wopping 220lb, due to my height - 6'2.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Kind regards.

Neil.

Check with Peter Gossamer http://www.gossamermagic.com/Harness/Contact.html

John
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Thanks for that John, I've contacted him so hopefully will get a reply soon.

Kind regards.

Neil.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
844 Posts

Hi Neil,

Not only would you need a custom h****ss (none are made that will support that weight), you would also need a very strong man or woman to lift you.

Lou
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I may be a little out of line in saying this, since I have never seen you (and for that I apologize); but my stage manager once said to me, "Some things were not meant to float". He was referring to me when I was toying with a self-levitation. At that time, I was 208 Lbs. and only 5'6". He was right. Artistically, it just didn't look right. This is a judgement call that you will need to make as well.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Quote:
On 2013-08-09 13:42, illusions & reality wrote:
Hi Neil,

Not only would you need a custom h****ss (none are made that will support that weight), you would also need a very strong man or woman to lift you.

Lou

Hey Lou.

I've had a response from Peter and he's said it's possible to build one to support my weight.

Neil.
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Quote:
On 2013-08-09 14:46, Kent Wong wrote:
I may be a little out of line in saying this, since I have never seen you (and for that I apologize); but my stage manager once said to me, "Some things were not meant to float". He was referring to me when I was toying with a self-levitation. At that time, I was 208 Lbs. and only 5'6". He was right. Artistically, it just didn't look right. This is a judgement call that you will need to make as well.

Kent

Hi Kent.

I see where you're coming from! But you're right, anyone wanting to be a sucessful illusionist needs to be slender and not over-weight!

However, in my case, I'm not really a big, fat guy! I get my weight because I'm a really tall guy.

Can't go into much detail on this, but what I will say is Peter's told me that it'll be quite a challenge on the body to be able to do this in just a vertical position. If I was to be in the horizontal position, how long would I be able to stay there for? Is it quite heavy on the ab's/stomach muscles?

Kind regards.

Neil.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I don't think that all illusionists need to be slender, but the look of the illusionist may help identify which effects work and which ones don't. Kevin James is a true master at what he does, but I wouldn't ever be able to imagine him performing Copperfield's Flying illusion. It would just be out of character.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I have to disagree slightly, Kent. In the movie Fantasia 2000 a rather portly man flies about and it is most charming. If that approach was taken with the performance I believe it could be very successful indeed!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I'm not saying it's impossible. But it would be a much harder sell to make it credible. In any event, I don't want to side track this thread too much. Smile

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
I understand where you're coming from Kent, some effects are better suited than others.

I'm just wondering how long one can be in the vertical and horizontal position before it get's too uncomfortable?

I've seen guys doing the Matrix Lean Back on the streets and they're saying that it's quite a physical challenge to be in that position for a couple of hours. Would the broom suspension be as challenging as the lean back or would it be easier?

Will be great to hear from someone who's performed both so I have a clear idea on the amount of physical strain this could lead to.

Neil.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
844 Posts

Hi Neil,

I have done this illusion for more than 30 years, using several different versions, including Peter Gossamer's h*****s. Our routine is requested often for repeat performances.

Think about why you would have to have a custom h*****s made. It just isn't done regularly because it doesn't work well or look good with a large male. The only grown male that I have seen perform the Broom Suspension was Roy of Siegfried and Roy. It was done in the context of a martial arts scene, but did not look very magical. Robert-Houdin floated his son, not himself. David Berglass used a chair suspension with a male volunteer, but very different equipment.

Size does make a difference in some illusions. Physics are an important component in this illusion.

I would agree that an outright levitation of a larger person could look even more magical. But we are talking about 2 very different illusions, both in equipment and effect.

Lou
Michel Fouche
View Profile
New user
Dumb as
69 Posts

Profile of Michel Fouche
Is anyone using the Pendragon style harness? The one with the clutch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion advice?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL