We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bad eBay purchase - who is in the wrong? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hey guys,

My wireless microphone system got damaged, so I needed a new one pretty cheap, as long as it works.
I came across a very nicely priced quality receiver. It advertises it has no transmitter for it, but I thought that is easy enough to buy the matching one separately.
Here's the link: http://bit.ly/11NVmXP

Here's the problem-
This particular receiver is a model which cannot just use the transmitter as mentioned. It is quoted in the ad:
The Mipro ACT707SE is a single channel, diversity, 16 frequency UHF wireless microphone system. Use with ACT707HE, ACT707H, ACT707HM handheld or ACT707TE, ACT707T, ACT707TM beltpack transmitters.

This looks easy enough. But when I called a local shop to supply me one, I was told that the model is now obsolete and you can't get them anymore, because the frequency band is against the government regulations. This units signal has been phased out.

I asked the seller for a chance of returning it, based on the fact I cannot get the transmitter as mentioned in the ad, but I'm now being ignored.

I might just put this behind me and move on, but it sure is annoying.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
My advice: Notify the seller you will leave a negative feedback over the deceptive sale and file a complaint with Paypal. Then do it. Just swallowing the loss allows the seller to continue to profit by his deception.

If that doesn't get restitution, then move on.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks Tom, ill give it a go. The thing is he put a well written ad in, included all the information necessary, but it takes a sound professional to say I was a sucker with this one.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Scott,

I would not mention about leaving negative in the ebay message system.

Just file a paypal claim and if he doen't refund, escalate the claim and leave neg with very low stars.

He'll come to you for feedback removal.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I don't see where the sale was deceptive. He told you what systems would work with the microphone. If youhad checked to see what the prices were on the systems, you would have discovered they couldn't be used before make the bid. Is it his responsibility to tell you that those systems have been withdrawn?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Not wanting to rub salt in an open wound, but, I wish more musicians would bite the bullet and visit a pro music shop or at the very least, talk to musicians who know mics and sound systems. Yes, mics cost a bit more there but the market is for pros. If you want the best in your magic, that means wanting the best in your sound set up as well. That said Scott, sorry you got hurt on this one but, perhaps the seller didn't know that this frequency was phased out?

I've seen truly deceptive Ebay ads and even commented to sellers that the ad was deceptive. Quick instance: Korg released the Kronos which is the most powerful and complete hardware music workstation available in the music industry. This person was trying to sell the predecessor of Kronos, called OASYS. In the ad he claimed that OASYS is far more powerful than Kronos; it's not. When I contacted him and stated that I would report his ad to Ebay, he groused and told me to go the hell, but, I noticed the next day that he did reword his ad.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks guys. I think this is a very grey area here.
Ill put this as simply as possible:
The compatible transmitters he mentions actually are commonly available, but you need to specifically ask for the "7D" version of it. This 7D requirement was not mentioned in the ad. I could have blindly got the one he listed (the current model), and the shop guy told me he guarantees it won't work. I got two independent businesses opinions - same issue. You need the obsolete "7D" frequency band.

Therefore I think it was a sneaky thing to do, but he didn't do the wrong thing in Ebays eyes. As mentioned in a post, stick with music shops!!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2824 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I have to agree with Ed. He told you exactly what you were getting.
He didn't hide anything and went out of his way to post the original ad description.

I would never leave bad feedback without first talking with the seller.
Sellers pay a high cost to sell on ebay, especially when you add in the paypal fees.

Still, I do understand the disappointment and hope you work something out.

Tom
Kind People Are The Best Kind Of People

www.tomboleware.com
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Looking at the variety of items this seller has sold, and his largely positive feedback ratings on eBay (99.3%), I think it is quite likely that he may have been unaware of the "7D" requirement. It's probably just one of hundreds of items this seller acquired at a discount somehow and then put on eBay for a quick flip.

I also wonder whether that 7D "frequency band is against the government regulations" bit is Australia-specific? Maybe what you need is still available, if you look elsewhere.

There seems to be interest in these receivers (e.g. several bidders for the one below), so maybe the other bidders / purchasers know something you do not (about where to get the transmitters)? I dunno, just thinking out loud.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mipro-ACT-707......80601611
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Threatening to leave negative feedback for a refund is considered extortion on eBay and can get your account disabled.

His ad was truthful in saying what works with the system. He did not have to disclose whether or not you are able to buy the parts in a store, and he may not have known about the regulations.

When buying certain electronics, I will only buy new.
-Matt
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
In that case, I'd just try for the Paypal refund and see if that works. I'd forgotten about the extortion thing...one of the earliest of my EBay sales had a little exporter who tried that on me...didn't work because I raised H over it and reported him first.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bad eBay purchase - who is in the wrong? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL