The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Twisting the aces question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Im working on technique for twisting the aces. At the end of the routine before I show the Ace O Spades I do an EC to show 4 cards face down. I then do another EC to show 4 cards face down. The packet is in my left hand. I immediatly grab the packet w/ my right index, middle finger and thumb. I then immediately flip my wrist and whole packet over with my right hand as I spread the cards with my index and thumb to show 1 upside down card has appeared. Could it be? Yes its the ace of Spaids.

Does that make sense?

My question is: Do you think that method confuses people? To me it adds an extra "twist". I love performing it this way too. Id just like to hear someone elses opinion. My wife ( who gets the oh my god here he comes again to,ask me my opinion about sumthin') has been cut off. Hahaa

Any input is appreciated. Thanks. db
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
By the way doing an EC. twice will reset the packed to chsd order for what it's worth.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
I'm not sure what extra "twist" you're referring to. I prefer to do the slow reveal in the original as opposed to just spreading the cards.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Too confusing. Any reason you have to show that the cards are face down twice? I'm pretty sure the audience believed you the first time.

Keep the effect as simple and streamlined as possible.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 00:57, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
Too confusing. Any reason you have to show that the cards are face down twice? I'm pretty sure the audience believed you the first time.

Keep the effect as simple and streamlined as possible.

Only to have it automatically reset. It also goes with the rule of 3. Point taken though.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
The rule of three? I'm pretty sure that passed on the third ace.

If you had to reset a deck or even a block of cards that's different.

four aces? Not worth the excessive handling.

Having said that...you just never know until you've run through both effects many times...enough to make a comparison. Additionally, you may put in a lot of work to that effect only to find it has minimal, if any, impact on your audience.
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
While it may be a flourishy way of revealing the final ace it does scream sleight of hand. Doing it slowly without any extemporaneous movement on the last one makes it stronger in my opinion. Theres also a way to do the last one in their hand which may be the strongest way of going about it.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I think Twisting the Aces is one that, if done by the book, is a great card trick just the way it is.
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
I agree with fonda57, just do it like the original version since it has been designed by a great master and each moves has its own meaning!

Mike
Do your best and forget the rest
TheHbomb
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of TheHbomb
Yeah, in most effects you should try to cut out any unnecessary or repetitive displays when possible. There is no need to show the cards face down twice, especially if you are doing it in exactly the same way. Also, as mentioned above, the turning over of the packet is also not needed, you could have revealed the ace without turning the packet over. I don't think like a laymen anymore, but I imagine that would be suspicious of the packet flip, even though it had nothing to do with the method.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-08-09 19:15, Dollarbill wrote:
Im working on technique for twisting the aces. At the end of the routine before I show the Ace O Spades I do an EC to show 4 cards face down. I then do another EC to show 4 cards face down. The packet is in my left hand. I immediatly grab the packet w/ my right index, middle finger and thumb. I then immediately flip my wrist and whole packet over with my right hand as I spread the cards with my index and thumb to show 1 upside down card has appeared. Could it be? Yes its the ace of Spaids.

Does that make sense?

My question is: Do you think that method confuses people? To me it adds an extra "twist". I love performing it this way too. Id just like to hear someone elses opinion. My wife ( who gets the oh my god here he comes again to,ask me my opinion about sumthin') has been cut off. Hahaa

Any input is appreciated. Thanks. db

I think it's somewhat interesting but more confusing than not, and makes it a bit over done while delivering unnecessary movements as to the simple-enough routine. This just might be one of those effects that's better just left as is. It truly seems to have been perfectly done the way Vernon first presented it Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I was just reading over a "twisting" effect in one of the magazines, the end result being that the aces change to something else and the aces are found in the deck. there's a lot of preliminary stuff to do and I got bored with it. Twisting the Aces you just get them out of the deck and do it, lots of magic happening.
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Twisting with them all changing at the end is very strong though. See Waving The Aces Guy Hollingsworth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iM4fs9f-aE
neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
I think this depends on your presentation. What you say affects whether or not it seems sleight-of-hand-y, assuming you have the moves mastered. I kind of like the method--it's got a very flashy feel to it. Keep it up!
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I learned Waving the Aces a few years ago, I agree, it's awesome. I also like Lee Asher's Asher Twist.
neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 23:13, ShirtlessKirk wrote:
Twisting with them all changing at the end is very strong though. See Waving The Aces Guy Hollingsworth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iM4fs9f-aE

Are the people in the back looking over his shoulders not getting a monstrously exposed view?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
It seems to me that Twisting the Aces is mostly about eliminating the possibility of ANY sleight of hand.

The ending should take that thought to its maximum expression.

Counting twice doesn't bother me. It might be called for in order emphasize the slowness and fairness of the moves. Maybe a break between the counts as you make a comment.

The last reveal should be slower and less movey than all the rest, in my opinion--"I can't do it any fairer..."

Some effects want to end in silence and wonder.

Of course, you can always end with the production of a Jumbo Coin or put in a car chase.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I totally agree with Whit, it should look like there's NOTHING happening. No slights, no funny business. To end I always use the ending suggested by Darwin Ortiz in Strong Magic where you put the packet into the empty box and do the last turn without touching the cards. It always gets a good reaction. And I always do an underground elmsley at the last so the Ace of Spades ends up in the midst of the other cards, not on the bottom, which increases the seeming impossibility of the turnover of the card.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Twisting the aces question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL