The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Best Comedy Magic Trick (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bagasmagic
View Profile
New user
Central Java, Indonesia
4 Posts

Profile of bagasmagic
Hello Comician (Comedy Magician) Smile
In your opinion, what is the best comedy magic tricks for show in the school events?
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Hi bagsamagic, Your question tells us more about where you are with being a performer than it does who you are as a performer. So the answer to your question, What[are]the best comedy magic tricks for show in the school events?¨ has to be, The one´s that get you the best reaction.

This self referencing comment isn´t meant to be facicious it´s meant to be helpful.¨

You first ned to understand and learn that tricks aren´t funny.

There´s a chance that you going out on stage doing tricks can or might be funny but we don´t know who you are, what you´re like on stage, what your performing style is, etc... How can we give you any meanful advice as to what might be a good vehicle for you?

I´m sure many here would be happy to make suggestions as to what might be a starting point for you but by asking this question in the way that you have done I´d suggest that first you ought to get the book; Stand Up: a professional guide to comedy magic by Ian Keable.

Once you´ve read that you´ll be in a better position to ask a question to which members here, I´m sure, would be willing to offer practical helpful advice.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
For some performers it's simply the way they walk on stage.

When you buy a trick you don't get laughs included.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Perhaps our friend is referring to routines rather than the trick itself.

There are several magic routines I think are very funny, and can be adaptable for any performer. Chico, The Mindreading Monkey is a very funny routine that can be presented by any performer.

The Vanishing Bandana is another funny routine that can easily be adapted to fit the performers character.

There are many other funny scripted magic tricks/routines I could bring up but I have to go bath the kids.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Actually, I think the Vanishing Bandana is ridiculous and awful and unfunny. It makes magicians look like hacks more than they already are.
Horrible for a new magician. Just horrible.

I cannot think of a single magic trick that is actually funny. It all comes from the performer that has the guts to put in the time, has the guts to be bad for a while, and has the guts to find out what works for them.

There are no free lunches in magic. You can't buy funny.

You can buy:
Awkward
Silence
Polite applause
people texting each other at your show.. "OMG this guy really sucks"
Looking like a hack
Sympathy laughs
Polite chuckles

Until you become an entertainer, you're kinda stuck with buying the above.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Well, the children I perform it for enjoy it, otherwise I would no longer use it.

You can't buy funny, but you can buy funny routines. However, I agree completely with your comment. Even funny comedians have funny writers writing funny jokes for them, but if they no nothing about comedic timing, nor how to deliver a joke, they will kill the jokes.

Same goes for the comedy magic routines on the market. There are some funny routines, but they have to be performed by someone who is entertaining and funny already.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have seen a couple of locals that really make the bandana routine work for them.

They go way beyond what is given.

One of the funniest bits in my Dr. Laugh program happens after a puppet dies, and I slowly get out my harmonica and play taps.

Why do they laugh, change the name and the story is told of us.
(sounds funnier in Latin)

Harris
nearly normal reader & righter
and still 2 old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 21:19, Danny Kazam wrote:
Well, the children I perform it for enjoy it, otherwise I would no longer use it.

You can't buy funny, but you can buy funny routines. However, I agree completely with your comment. Even funny comedians have funny writers writing funny jokes for them, but if they no nothing about comedic timing, nor how to deliver a joke, they will kill the jokes.

Same goes for the comedy magic routines on the market. There are some funny routines, but they have to be performed by someone who is entertaining and funny already.

well said..
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 01:13, Frank Starsini wrote:
Actually, I think the Vanishing Bandana is ridiculous and awful and unfunny. It makes magicians look like hacks more than they already are.
Horrible for a new magician. Just horrible.

I cannot think of a single magic trick that is actually funny. It all comes from the performer that has the guts to put in the time, has the guts to be bad for a while, and has the guts to find out what works for them.

There are no free lunches in magic. You can't buy funny.

You can buy:
Awkward
Silence
Polite applause
people texting each other at your show.. "OMG this guy really sucks"
Looking like a hack
Sympathy laughs
Polite chuckles

Until you become an entertainer, you're kinda stuck with buying the above.

Good comments-so True

I have seen a top Performer bring the House down at Numerous large shows..
It takes Personality,stage Presence and Showmanship,experience & Balls!!
Playing 1 side of the audience against another..really Hilarious to watch-natural comedy

Effect used-red handkerchief & T.T

Could the average Magician/Performer get away with this-No...

The Performers personality really comes through...not the effect bought.

Cheers
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Professor Cheer's Rope Trick and Multiplying Bottles have tons of humor built in, but I agree with everyone else in that you can't purchase a personality or a sense of humor. These routines are all about the delivery.

- Gary
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Two words Tommy Cooper, enough said !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Couldn't agree more George.

Here's 2 more words: Carl Ballantine
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
Squirting toilet
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I have tried the Vanishing Bandana because I saw others perform it. However, it seemed hit and miss for me. One time after I did it, my client looked at his watch and said, when is your show going to be over! So I dropped it. I realize what works for someone else does not always work for you. Cheers!
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
54 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
Another super old thread but I'll throw in my two cents because I actually have a lot of experience here and maybe someone else will find this useful.
First question, how many students? Half the school? The entire 4th grade? Two 1st grade classes? It makes a difference but here's what I did.
I organized fundraisers for schools to raise money selling gift wrap or cookie dough. AT the end of the FR kick off, I'd use which ever popular teacher
or principal as part of my act. I'm not a great magician, so I'd do simple things that played big and used the personality of the fave teacher.
Mouth coils that came after a dance routine, Miser's Dream, Rope tricks, anything silly was always a hit. You have to know your audience.
If it's middle school, good luck Think of the song "Welcome to the Jungle" and be prepared to be very challenged. I didn't do any magic there, only game shows for kick offs of fundraisers. Hope that helps!
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
There are no funny magic tricks, only funny magicians, and only a few of them. Someone who is good at comedy can turn any magic routine into comedy. If you are not good at comedy, do yourself, and your audience, a favor and stay away from comedy tricks. Comedy is an art and takes time (and timing), practice and education. It also comes more naturally for some than others. I also have to agree with the above comments on the vanishing bandana. I have seen more painful performances than truly good performances. Only once can I say it was truly entertaining and funny. Funny comedy magic, check out Denny Haney's multiplying bottles. Not very deceptive magic, but a truly funny routine. Funny is hard work, especially with a magic routine. Timing is everything in both magic and comedy. That is a lot to keep up with, trying to time the humor and the magic. A lot can go wrong.
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
324 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
IF THEY LAUGH IT'S FUNNY

--George Burns
poki
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of poki
Wow I’ve never heard of the vanishing bandana until now — ha!

I think it’s funny when the magician fails. Not like actually fails in a way that make people feel sorry for them but fails in creative and clever ways.

I love the floating silver ball that’s actually a ladle under someone’s armpit viewed at the right angle that is revealed on accident

Also can’t go wrong eating DLites !
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2022, poki wrote:

Also can’t go wrong eating DLites !

Very true! It's always nice to pull the string of lights from your mouth as well! Though, like 90%+ tricks that can be used for comedy- it will only be funny if your presentation is good-funny. There are very few tricks that actually have some built in comedy just by performing them. Not many!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2013, bagasmagic wrote:
Hello Comician (Comedy Magician) Smile
In your opinion, what is the best comedy magic tricks for show in the school events?

Depending what age by IMO for kids up to 10 possibly 11 - Tale of A Cat is great. Comedy is not "built in" but if your presentation is right you can make it hilarious! Unfortunately I do not think it's available anymore.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Best Comedy Magic Trick (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL