The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Would you take a one-way trip to Mars? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:

On 2013-08-11 13:39, Dennis Michael wrote:

Yup, probably the only magician entertainer!

There are more than few here who are willing to go.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Been thinking about it and I'd like to go but it would have to be a return trip.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
CNN wrote:

More than 100,000 people are eager to make themselves at home on another planet. They've applied for a one-way trip to Mars, hoping to be chosen to spend the rest of their lives on uncharted territory, according to an organization planning the manned missions.

The Mars One project wants to colonize the red planet, beginning in 2022. There are financial and practical questions about this venture that haven't been clarified. Will there be enough money? Will people really be able to survive on Mars? But these haven't stopped some 30,000 Americans from signing up.

You can see some of the candidates on the project's website, but they're not the only ones who have applied, said Bas Lansdorp, Mars One CEO and co-founder.

"There is also a very large number of people who are still working on their profile, so either they have decided not to pay the application fee, or they are still making their video or they're still filling out the questionnaire or their resume. So the people that you can see online are only the ones that have finished and who have set their profiles as public," Lansdorp said.

The entrepreneur did not specify how many have paid the fees, completed their profiles and configured them as private.

Here is another link from CNN regarding this project: http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/09/tech/innov......pt=hp_t5

And a link regarding the one year anniversary of the Mars rover Curiosity:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/06/tech/innov......_sidebar
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Am I to understand that there will only be 8 people going on these missions?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Finally! Now we can meet the Cydonians and discover why they built that face!

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16230 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 22:08, rockwall wrote:
More than 100,000 people apply for a one-way trip to Mars.

"Out of the applicants, Mars One said it will select a multicontinental group of 40 astronauts this year. Four of them -- two men and two women -- are set to leave for Mars in September 2022, landing in April 2023."

http://www.clickorlando.com/lifestyle/te......dex.html

I'm afraid I would have to pass but facinating!

No. I'm not a pioneer. As has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, pioneers go someplace, not intending to come back, but to make a new life for themselves where they go. I don't think these people are crazy, I just don't want to join them.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
571 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Don't think I'd want to go to Mars.

But I'd certainly give my life up to be able to go into deep space, and keep on going. ALA Carl Sagan's Cosmos style - but for real !
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:

On 2013-08-11 19:46, tommy wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmcwBkt0xfE

I like THIS one though. I know its VERY 1970's.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 00:51, General_Magician wrote:
I hear their is a huge percentage of the volunteers who are Americans, if not the highest percentage out of the all the nations who have volunteered. I read that in the news article somewhere. Makes me proud.

Proud of what? That they've signed up for something that isn't possible? How comendable! Smile
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1195 Posts

Profile of imgic
Technically it is possible. Not much different than what was needed for Apollo and ISS missions. Just hasn't been dedicated resources applied to it yet...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
It is possible but not probable.

We need to develope good hypersonic speeds to go there and make it back in good time.

At what cost ??

....as if there is lots of spare cash in US coffers Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-08-12 16:16, Mehtas wrote:
It is possible but not probable.

We need to develope good hypersonic speeds to go there and make it back in good time.

Since sound doesn't travel in space, ANY speed is hypersonic. That said, current spacecraft already travel at "hyper-sonic" speeds if compared to the average speed of sound in the earth's atmosphere.

And no one is talking about how to "make it back." The proposed mission is a one-way trip.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Well, somebody's got to start the reactor.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
This should get this thread deleted.

If we are going to be politically correct than we must send gays on this trip. That of course means no procreation, no children and only the original 8 will perish. Seems like a waste of a couple billion dollars. Smile Because there will be no kids to adopt on Mars. The End.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4056 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hmmm.... Wonder if it is a money-making scam? Sign up, only to be told later, "Sorry, can't go because of.... Smile

"The astronauts will undergo a required eight-year training..." Eight years? Holy cow.

By the time they learn about fixing their ship, what they have learned will be obsolete! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4056 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
By fixing their ship, I mean when something goes wrong on the voyage to Mars, as that is the only fixing that will matter.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-08-12 08:34, Russell Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 00:51, General_Magician wrote:
I hear their is a huge percentage of the volunteers who are Americans, if not the highest percentage out of the all the nations who have volunteered. I read that in the news article somewhere. Makes me proud.

Proud of what? That they've signed up for something that isn't possible? How comendable! Smile

People signed up for the Mercury program before there was any way to send a person into space.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:

On 2013-08-12 23:06, ed rhodes wrote:

People signed up for the Mercury program before there was any way to send a person into space.

Where can I sign up for Alpha Centauri ??
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Quote:
On 2013-08-12 12:18, imgic wrote:
Technically it is possible. Not much different than what was needed for Apollo and ISS missions. Just hasn't been dedicated resources applied to it yet...

Ummmm, technically it isn't. One word - radiation. I don't believe you'd make it past the Van Allen belt never mind all the way to Mars.

Then again, I'm not convinced anyone landed on the moon.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Would you take a one-way trip to Mars? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL