The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Street Hypnosis- the taboo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Burki
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Burki
First off, I've been a lurker for a long while, and just recently created an account. (So hello, everyone!)

That said, I can't help but be curious about all the hostility towards street/impromptu hypnosis. I understand that many here are professionals in the stage hypnosis business, but I just don't get it. I don't mean to be combative or any such thing, I am just genuinely interested. I mostly just do hypnosis in an impromptu setting, and assuming I am courteous and responsible with my volunteers, I can't understand the aggression.

I know there are very untrained kids taking to the streets that should not be, and that many impromptu hypnotists do little more than stuck hands or name amnesia, which isn't too exciting to a trained hypnotist, but that is not the rule for all of us. Yet I keep coming across the practice being dubbed as “watered-down” stage hypnosis or as being solely performed by “idiot amateurs.” I feel as if street hypnosis is a new venue for hypnotists entirely.

I suppose my complaint may be slightly personal, as well. About seven years ago, when I was just getting interested in hypnosis, I came to this forum to ask for help. I was immediately shut down and downright insulted by a couple of senior members here once I mentioned being interested in street hypnosis, and became incredibly disheartened. “If this is how the professional community treats new blood,” I thought, “why would anyone ever want to get involved in this?” Why not help those who are looking up to you?

Luckily, I continued anyway. There have been those who have been genuinely kind (I've never truly thanked Anthony Jacquin for this- so thank you from the depths of my heart. Thanks in large part to your assistance, even though I asked little, hypnosis has become my greatest passion. Had you not been so kind even in simple email, I likely would have given up), but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

My apologies for the long post (and I sincerely hope I haven't put anybody off, I really am trying to be polite and understand), but to boil it down: What's with all the hostility?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The hostility is a feature of the magic Café. It is not confined to hypnosis - they **** on new mentalists, kids show performers, all sorts of people. The real world is a lot friendlier, and has less egomaniacs. Develop a thick skin, enjoy what you do, and ignore the begrudgers.

Welcome, in short. If you are entertaining people with hypnosis you belong here, whatever they say.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You say you don't understand but go on to list the exact problems. It seems you understand but do not agree.

Also this forum is not really designed for street hypnosis.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 15:35, Dannydoyle wrote:
Also this forum is not really designed for street hypnosis.

As I understand it this forum is for people who use hypnosis for entertainment purposes. I don't see anyone doing therapy on the street. So this is the exact right place for him.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Do you understand that someone causing something as simple as name amnesia could result in feelings of intense humiliation that could inhibit and linger in a victim for years or all of his/her life? Professionals are trained how to approach this simple phenomenon so this will not happen. I have yet to see any amateur street hypnotist understand this. Are there some? Maybe. I've only seen a few dozen and not one understand this.

IMO, being able to hypnotize carries the responsibility of caring for the mental, physical and emotional well-being of the person who is hypnotized. What I have seen from most, but not all, street hypnotists is an attitude of aha! I can screw with people because I'm so kewl! I don't give a dam about the well-being of anyone as long as people recognize that I'm special.

In your post, you talk about "the professional community." As one trainer of street hypnosis told me, "there is no way to monetize street hypnosis." Therefore, street hypnosis, by it's nature, is not professional. However, professionals can see it as an attempt to dilute their market. Why should someone pay good money to see a show when some kid in the street can make people stick their hands to a pole?

Learning to hypnotize is easy! Learning what to do after someone is hypnotized takes training, study, and practice. Learning how to cut with a knife is easy. Learning brain surgery takes a bit longer.

However, I don't want to discourage you, I'd rather encourage you. Study more. Train more. Learn more. Practice more.

Oh, there are a few people who are making money from street hypnosis. They're people, like Anthony Jacquin, who train people in it. More power to them!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2013-08-12 14:57, dmkraig wrote:
Do you understand that someone causing something as simple as name amnesia could result in feelings of intense humiliation that could inhibit and linger in a victim for years or all of his/her life?

Rubbish. The psychological effects of entertainment hypnosis have been vastly exaggerated.

As for 'monetising' street hypnosis (or impromptu hypnosis, as it could more legitimately be called), I get paid occasionally to do a mix of walk-around hypnosis and mentalism. I also occasionally do an induction and some impromptu hypnosis during magic/comedy shows. So you can get paid to do this stuff, just as you can get paid to do a full traditional stage show.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Tony, I agree that the psychological effects of entertainment hypnosis have been vastly exaggerated. That's because professionals know what they're doing and how to treat the people they work with. Many of the people I see doing street hypnosis have no clue about this.

"Occasionally" getting paid to do some walk around in a closed environment is not the same as street hypnosis.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10607 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-08-12 20:19, dmkraig wrote:
"Occasionally" getting paid to do some walk around in a closed environment is not the same as street hypnosis.

I couldn't agree more.

In 37 years of this business I've never had a single call or even ever heard of someone inquire or ask about "strolling hypnosis".

I also doubt anyone is getting booked for this. They may choose to attempt to include this in something else they've been booked to do (magic, mentalism, etc.), so I agree this is not monetizing it.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Oh come on. This is all getting a bit tired.
Of course you can monetize it IF YOU DO IT PROPERLY. The key is to make it entertaining for spectators.
Don't you have buskers in the US?

I agree there aren't many monetizing it (and the most popular so-called street hypnosis training doesn't even touch on it) but I assure you there are some of us.

The reason I have spoken out against street hypnosis is that the way most people are trained to do it, it's utter 5h1t.

As for whether people not paying to see what they can get for free on the street - that is just plain nonsense. People still pay to go see professional bands and there are millions of amateur ones out there.

Click here to view attached image.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea it is mostly that the "street hypnosis" guys are crap and not entertaining. Not easy to "monatize" crap unless you sell horse manuer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Indeed.
Personally, I wouldn't want to be trained to perform by a trainer who rarely performs, yet in this industry it seems to be the norm, even the preference.
Oh well, I guess it's only the same as the magic "lecture circuit."
</can of worms>
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 00:42, Dannydoyle wrote:
Not easy to "monatize" crap unless you sell horse manuer.

What a wonderful line! True and funny.

But joking aside, I have been hired (not often) to do strolling hypnosis. And I could busk with this stuff. It is at least as valid a form of entertainment as close-up magic.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
You "*could* busk with this stuff?" In other words, you have never made any money doing actual street hypnosis. Okay.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Glad to hear it has become your passion Burki.

Outside of this forum you will find the idea of performance hypnosis, up close and off stage, is generally well received, as it is with the public. If you check your post from a few years back you will find it is the same three voices that bleat about street hypnosis being a bad thing or non existent. They are wrong on both counts but of course even the dull and ignorant should be heard.

Myself and my colleagues all get hired to mix magic or mentalism with hypnosis off stage. I know many others in Europe the US and Australia who do to. Hypnosis is free of the stage and power cape. The game has changed. That is tough for some to take.

When not getting paid to perform we like to do our thing when and where we wish, for no good reason other than we enjoy doing so and want to sharpen our axe. It makes our social time richer and helps us get better. I know some do not get why anyone would do that for no cash reward but I think of it a bit like a skateboarder riding the same ramp to do the same trick over and over and over. Not to perform, not to impress, just to cut away, find the edges and keep reaching toward mastering stuff.

Anyway, as ever if there is anything I can do for you let me know.

If you haven;t already check the free lessons here http://www.youtube.com/how2hypnotise

And the three free articles here http://www.whatsonmybrain.com/head-hacki......ypnosis/

Enjoy.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Quote:
On 2013-08-14 14:02, Anthony Jacquin wrote:

When not getting paid to perform we like to do our thing when and where we wish, for no good reason other than we enjoy doing so and want to sharpen our axe. It makes our social time richer and helps us get better. I know some do not get why anyone would do that for no cash reward but I think of it a bit like a skateboarder riding the same ramp to do the same trick over and over and over. Not to perform, not to impress, just to cut away, find the edges and keep reaching toward mastering stuff.

Hipstertist ;-)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I defy you to get insurance in the USA for street hypnosis.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And Anthony you have over 2100 posts. We hear plenty of dull and ignorant stuff.

Done with name calling?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 18:05, dmkraig wrote:
You "*could* busk with this stuff?" In other words, you have never made any money doing actual street hypnosis. Okay.

I have busked with this stuff. I open my street show with it. So I have made money. Just not much, because I very rarely busk. I concentrate on paid gigs. But when I have done it I have got good reactions, and have had that reflected in the hats.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10607 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
As always Tony B is the exception to the rule, always about everything.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Edinburgh is one of the biggest festivals in the world with dozens of street acts. Where are the street hypnotists if its so hip?

Tony thinks you don't need a license or lessons to drive a car..... That says a lot Smile

Edinburgh festival is one of the biggest in the world with dozens of street acts performing all day long. Yet you won't see a single street hypnotist...

Most people who do it in pubs for kicks or to "sharpen their axe" do so for the feelings of "power" it gives them... I guess for some it helps fill the space in their real lives.

And to descend upon bars in packs is really sad. I did attend one once out of curiosity and it all looked a little desperate to me. Desperate for attention.

But if you really need that to enrich your social life then who am I to judge.

The game hasn't changed its a different game all together. A game created by "copying" those that have gone before. When I was a kid I used to play cowboys and indians now it seems playing hypnotists and mind readers seems to be the big kids games.

The cape and power thing on stage died more than 20 years ago. On a regular basis I get contacted by wannabee hypnotists both for stage and therapy that have done a training or looking to be trained. Asking me for advice and wanting to buy me a drink to "pick my brains" Its got to the stage where if you throw a stone in my home town chances it will hit a "hypnotist".

Hypnosis is a bit like tattoos they used to be cool at one time now they are crass because everybody has them.

If I had no morals I could make quite a lot of money teaching but I would rather make my money elsewhere. Hypnosis in general is a mess and the scramble is on to pick its bones by those trying to sell as much courses as they possibly can.

Its a sad state of affairs with many of the new "Guru's" being among the worst hypnotists I have seen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Street Hypnosis- the taboo (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL