The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Silencer by Jeff Prace (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Thanks for the great review, FSM! I'm so glad you like the bonus effects. Even though there's a "main trick" on the DVD, I can't stress enough that this is a whole treatise on phone magic. I perform all of the bonuses constantly, along with The Silencer.

(To clarify a part of the review... Split does not require Internet access when performing. You will need Internet for a one-time setup.)

Two of the bonuses on the disc - Scribble and Split - were originally sold as individual downloads. They have both been getting great reviews!
-----Scribble review
-----Split review
Markus Ng
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Markus Ng
I think whoever hasnt bought this should buy one now because Jeff really teaches it well.
Here are my thoughts
Scribble- the app is only available for Iphone but I'm not sure if other brands have such an app. The trick is really deceptive but I don't think its a good idea to show it to a person that has the app already.

The Split- really good effect and I think everyone should get it. Only problem is that there may be an issue if the spectator wants to use his/her own phone

Silencer- Unexpected gimmick and its really awesome and will fool a lot of people especially if you practise and perfect it. Only problem is that sometimes the gimmick does not cause the phone to really silence and you have to adjust it(HTC ONE)

overall I think anyone who hasnt got it should go pick it up now
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The only thing deceptive about this effect is the advertisement.
r99h
View Profile
Loyal user
Southampton, UK
257 Posts

Profile of r99h
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 04:29, Markus Ng wrote:
I think whoever hasnt bought this should buy one now because Jeff really teaches it well.
Here are my thoughts
Scribble- the app is only available for Iphone but I'm not sure if other brands have such an app. The trick is really deceptive but I don't think its a good idea to show it to a person that has the app already.

The Split- really good effect and I think everyone should get it. Only problem is that there may be an issue if the spectator wants to use his/her own phone

Silencer- Unexpected gimmick and its really awesome and will fool a lot of people especially if you practise and perfect it. Only problem is that sometimes the gimmick does not cause the phone to really silence and you have to adjust it(HTC ONE)

overall I think anyone who hasnt got it should go pick it up now

That's an awful lot of negatives in a short review - especially one in which the product is recommended!

This review has helped me decide that the effect isn't for me, as it's not the case today that nearly everyone has an iPhone and there seem to be too many 'if's and 'maybe's attached to the possibility of performing it.

Rich
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
My thoughts exactly Rich.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
All of the tricks were designed to combat these problems:

The app used in Scribble is not well-known, and the chances of someone you're performing for has it is practically zero. It's like someone having iForce on their phone... it just doesn't happen.

In Split, there is NO heat on the phone; all the focus is on the earbuds. With that said, everything is immediately examinable. You can even borrow earbuds.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
For split, can you use their phone and their earbuds / headphone?

If not, you're saying that someone plugs their previously working earbuds into your phone, they stop working, and there is no heat on the phone / music / app?

Am I the -only- person that actually performs for people that might have an IQ that hits triple digits?
Markus Ng
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Markus Ng
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 20:01, jprace wrote:
All of the tricks were designed to combat these problems:

The app used in Scribble is not well-known, and the chances of someone you're performing for has it is practically zero. It's like someone having iForce on their phone... it just doesn't happen.

In Split, there is NO heat on the phone; all the focus is on the earbuds. With that said, everything is immediately examinable. You can even borrow earbuds.

Jeff, I have tried using my HTC ONE with the gimmick and sometimes the music still continues playing even with the gimmick... Its from my experience that I have written so.
As for the Scribble I suppose youre right.

good job overall but perhaps you would like to help me find out why the music still plays for my phone?
Markus Ng
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Markus Ng
Anyways if those problems can be solved, Id give it these reviews

Video quality-10/10
Explanation-9/10
Effectiveness in the real world-8/10 due to some angle problems
Gimmick-9/10- really unexpected
routine-10/10-sure to be a killer
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
As explained earlier, there are effective ways to introduce a spectator's previous working earbuds. You can borrow headphones, and perform the classic cut and restored string. You then "make sure" that their headphones are fixed, and you play some music out of them. A perfect lead in to this routine. You can also obviously use your own props.
chrisbeason
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of chrisbeason
Hey everyone!

I was reading through this thread, and as someone who has and uses Jeff's Silencer, I was shocked by how much negativity there was to it. There are already a few in depth reviews (I'll probably write one soon), but suffice it to say that I really, really like this effect. The thinking is absolutely fantastic.

For a bit of background, I'm not a big fan of iPhone effects. I think 98% of the ones that come to market use a phone in the completely wrong way and they aren't worth anyone's time. I'm posting this because I honestly use The Silencer (and Jeff's Scribble, more on that http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=159&1 ).

It's good.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Thanks, Chris! I am also very excited that Eric Jones said this was the best new product he saw at Magic Live.

I have received many e-mails and PMs asking questions about the contents of this project... if you would like any additional info, always feel free to post here or contact me privately.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I'm with Chris. Most of the people who are negatively reviewing this haven't even purchased it. If you want to silence a phone this does it perfectly, with pretty much anything. The handling is easy, the gimmick makes sense and is easy to handle and it's fooling people.

The effect works and I'm killing with it. Please don't buy this, so that I can have it to myself Smile
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I've been off the Café for 2 months (everyone should do this...you'll be happier) but came on to check out a review of a product I was looking to buy. I saw the Silencer thread has some activity and have to admit I was surprised to read all the negative comments. I bought the DVD solely for the Silencer effect but was pleasantly surprised by some of the bonus material. While I prefer the hands on version I can see the hands off playing well. I've performed the hands on version about 2 dozen times so far and it's gotten great reactions. About half of the performances were impromptu situations and the other half were at a paid gig. It takes up almost zero pocket space, uses a borrowed object and plays well. Not sure what else you could want...

I think I'll take another time-out from the Café now.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2013-09-03 15:54, M Sini wrote:
I've been off the Café for 2 months (everyone should do this...you'll be happier) but came on to check out a review of a product I was looking to buy. I saw the Silencer thread has some activity and have to admit I was surprised to read all the negative comments. I bought the DVD solely for the Silencer effect but was pleasantly surprised by some of the bonus material. While I prefer the hands on version I can see the hands off playing well. I've performed the hands on version about 2 dozen times so far and it's gotten great reactions. About half of the performances were impromptu situations and the other half were at a paid gig. It takes up almost zero pocket space, uses a borrowed object and plays well. Not sure what else you could want...

I think I'll take another time-out from the Café now.

OK See you in 2 Months Time !
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-08-14 15:36, barts185 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-14 13:32, Chris Stolz wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-14 13:20, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-14 12:46, MR Effecto wrote:
I cant wait for some reviews on this. Anybody have it yet?

It's been a sell out at magic live, apparently, so I'm surprised not a single review has materialised as of yet.

They're all too busy buying things Smile

So we can expect to see the sellers area explode in a week or two Smile

Or shut down if it works on web pages too Smile
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I appreciate all of the comments. I am glad people who have actually worked this are having success!
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
So I absolutely love that they included Split with this! I use it where I borrow a pair of headphones, do the standard cut and restored version, before having them check to see if its still working. Then I do split. After that I go into the Silencer. It makes for a killer routine
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Penguin Magic posted an interview with myself and Dan Harlan talking about The Silencer! It's the second video on this page:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3698
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
I just got back from a long trip where I've been performing Jeff's Silencer (hands off version) with GREAT success.

Here's the way I perform Jeff's Silencer with my Supa Thump (you can perform this effect without an accomplice).

I start with a quick performance of Silencer on their phone that really stuns them . . . but here's my Knock Out punch:

"Since we did a little magic with one of your songs, let me play for you one of MY favorite songs".
"Please open any web browser, I'll do a search for a YouTube music video".

I take their phone do a search and leave their phone face down.

"The internet connection is a little slow, so it's still buffering the video . . ."
"I'll give you a hint what I searched for. It's one of Michael Jackson's top songs."

Show a piece of paper with nine of MJ's top songs listed on it.

"Point to any song . . . please don't say the name of the song . . . only point".

They point at a song . . . "concentrate on that song. Imagine you're gonna hear it now from YOUR phone."

Suddenly, their chosen song starts to play from THEIR phone!!

When they pick up their phone, it's a YouTube video of their chosen song.

I really LOVE this routine because the music starts to play BEFORE they ever look at their phone.

cheers,
Greg Rostami
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Silencer by Jeff Prace (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL