The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Silencer by Jeff Prace (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Reviews soon I hope.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 16:03, David Klass wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 13:56, Mercury52 wrote:
For the hands-off method we know it definitely works on the iPhone. For other models of phone, it will vary model-by-model, so I'm afraid we cannot provide a comprehensive list at this time. So for the moment, let us say iPhone only. If we find other models that work with the hands-off method, we'll be sure to post an update.

An example for how the hands-off method would play out in real life:

Kevin

Thank you Kevin.

So in the "hands off" version:
I take their phone.
I browse through their music.
I select a song.
I play the song
I put the phone down.
And now, after all of this, I am "hands off"!! Smile

Smile Smile Smile Smile
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Jeff performed the hands off version one night in Vegas. It played out like this...

We were talking about the effects on the DVD with a group of guys. Jeff performed a few of the bonuses, like split, scribble...which are both amazing stand-alone effects as is...

Then someone asked to perform the silencer. Jeff said he will after another round of drinks came. From when the guy asked to see the trick, to when he finally did I would say about 10 minutes went by. Talking, drinking, etc. Also, from when the guy asked to see the trick Jeff did NOT touch the phone. The person took out HIS phone (jeff did not touch it), played ANY song (jeff did not touch it), placed it on the table (jeff did not touch it), and jeff made the music stop on command (jeff did not touch it)....

So with the above examples, it seems like you have to fiddle with the phone right before the effect but that's not the case. Once you pick up the DVD and learn the method (instead of trying to figure it out here with question after question), you'll see how you can adapt it to different circumstances and make it play as a straight up miracle Smile

Thanks!
Alex^
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 06:00, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Just to be fair and for clarity, I don't own this but my gut insyinct is that the hands off wont be as good as people want it to be. Otherwise it'd be main trick.

Have to agree

Just back from Magic Live and I do have an IPhone , the two dealers that did have this not one of them wanted to demo it live !

Only wanted to show me the sealed DVD

I did not see any Live demo so if anyone did get this would be intrested in a review , especially from someone who did not have several pints of bear before seeing this !
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 02:24, Martin.Lester wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 06:00, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Just to be fair and for clarity, I don't own this but my gut insyinct is that the hands off wont be as good as people want it to be. Otherwise it'd be main trick.

Have to agree

Just back from Magic Live and I do have an IPhone , the two dealers that did have this not one of them wanted to demo it live !

Only wanted to show me the sealed DVD

Ouahh... So you can easily imagine that this effect is not a real worker at all. Thanks for the input Martin.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
The last couple of comments couldn't be more wrong...

Jeff spent the entire convention demoing this all over the place. The DVD was JUST released at Live and the dealers were literally handed the DVD the day of the convention...of course they didn't perform it because they probably had no idea what it was (their fault)...

Jeff was scheduled to go to different booths and dealers showing off all his iphone madness..i believe he did a total of 8 hours...I guess you must have missed it Smile

There is nothing easier and more straight forward than this if you want a "real worker" ...and that's only for the silencer effect. Remember, there are 3 more full bonuses on there...actually more...since the bonuses have bonuses of their own lol Smile

Thanks!
Alex^
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
964 Posts

Profile of markhitton
I do not understand,alex.
from kevin words we know the hands-off method needs touching just a bit the iphone,while you tell us no touch of the phone is required(this from your tale).
so if I want to do the hands-off effect I DO NOT TOUCH the iphone NEVER?
is that right?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I think the clue is "after another round of drinks, and ten minutes had gone by" and in that time he was able to do whatever was necessary to the iPhone.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 02:41, alex_pandrea wrote:
The last couple of comments couldn't be more wrong...

Jeff spent the entire convention demoing this all over the place. The DVD was JUST released at Live and the dealers were literally handed the DVD the day of the convention...of course they didn't perform it because they probably had no idea what it was (their fault)...

Hold on so he gave them the DVD on the DAY of the Convention but it was Their Fault

They did not have time to “Learn” His new routine , can’t understand this as of course they must have had loads of time to spare they only had to set up their own booths and deal with the thousands of magic fans

Quote:
Jeff was scheduled to go to different booths and dealers showing off all his iphone madness..i believe he did a total of 8 hours...I guess you must have missed it Smile

I don’t know about anyone else but I must have walked round the dealers hall blind as can’t say I noticed him and none of the dealer’s mention that he would be doing any demo’s

Quote:
On 2013-08-21 03:46, pegasus wrote:
I think the clue is "after another round of drinks, and ten minutes had gone by" and in that time he was able to do whatever was necessary to the iPhone.

After a Few Rounds of Drinks people will remember anything ! (including Magicians)
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
Just watched Wizard Product Review....... They interviewed Jeff and Alex, but did not demo 'Silencer', now to me that is very strange!!
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 07:53, rasp wrote:
Just watched Wizard Product Review....... They interviewed Jeff and Alex, but did not demo 'Silencer', now to me that is very strange!!

Exactly... Even the performer himself did not perform his effect, although David Penn asked him to demo it for the review. He performed the bonus effects, but not the MAIN effect!
Moreover, one of the bonus effect can only be done with iPhone. Jeff Prace says "everybody has got an iPhone today...!" ---> Not true!

Definitely not a worker.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Once you set up the phone for the hands-off version, you don't need to perform the trick right then...check out their phone at the beginning of your show for maybe another phone trick and come back hours later at the end without touching anything and perform it. Come back the next day if you want. You can even do it over the phone...as long as they're not using their phone to speak and play music at the same time lol...

Now what seems weird to me is how people write their opinion about it being a worker or not without even checking out the project. Maybe that's just me Smile

Alex^
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
If this is a worker, which I can accept, why didn't he perform the effect on the WPR? Not the right conditions? Not the right phone?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I think Alex was being a little tongue-in-cheek with the "Their fault" comment about the dealers at Live. Silencer was one of many products debuted at Magic Live, along with a handful of DVDs from EMC, etc. The dealers were handed all of these at the convention, so of course they didn't have time to watch/learn/demo the material. Nobody was demoing Intercessor 2.0 or Egg Bag, but it doesn't mean they're not workers as well.

Jeff, along with many other artists, were making the rounds around the dealer room performing their effects for people. I personally saw Jeff perform Silencer and several of the bonus effects many times throughout the convention. As for why it wasn't performed on WPR - I wasn't there for the taping so I have no idea.

I also just saw this quote last night from none other than Eric Jones, in regards to The Silencer - “The best product I saw at the Magic Live convention.”

The DVD runs ate over 80 minutes, with a TON of material. We should hopefully be seeing reviews coming in soon from those who have picked it up so far.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I had to perform bonus effects for the majority of Magic Live because - in the dealer room - it was much too loud to hear the music playing out of any phone's speakers. I'm sorry if some of you missed my performances at the various booths; there was a schedule stating when I'd be around. However, I did get sick in the middle of the convention and had to miss some of my performing time... and I left early.

I perform all the tricks on the DVD regularly. Each one of them is practical, fun, and fooling.
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
Well I was there and I spent many hours in the dealers room and can only assume he was at the bar the whole time
magicPhred
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of magicPhred
I have an iphone, and I believe I have a good idea what the hands off version is (I just did it with my phone). If I am right, it looks super! One obvious concern I would have with my method is that without touching the phone again, there is a super small chance that at a later date they MAY notice something about the phone that they didn't set. I don't want to divulge a method that I may not have actually figured out, but it's not something that will ever impact the phone at all. Note, the 'thing' will most likely NEVER be noticed, and even if it is, the connection might not be made between it and the trick. If I'm right on method, it's clever, and pretty clean. If I'm wrong, I like my method and am going to start using it Smile.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I apologize if people missed me in the dealer's room; I was rotating around more than five different areas, and I also got sick in the middle of the convention and had to leave early. Unfortunately, dealers did not have time to learn all the material to demo while I was away. But I sold out of copies at each booth when I was working! Smile
FSM
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of FSM
Hello, all. This is my first Magic Café post. When I saw the trailer for this product about a week ago I got really excited. My 'every-day-carry pack' consists of nothing but "everyday objects" and (seemingly) "impromptu magic". So, this seemed right up my alley.
So, fast forward to this morning when I received my DVD + Gimmicks. Upon opening the box I immediately recognized the gimmick(s). It was nice of them to give me three. I really like the idea of having the gimmick in multiple places; one in my bag, one at home, one at work.
Anyway, back to the actual trick. I knew there was going to be some practice involved in getting the handling right. That doesn't scare me at all as I've been performing for about twenty years. Sometimes a "worker" takes work. So, I popped in the DVD and went right to the explanation since I was very familiar with the Effect. First-of-all, Jeff seems like a very personable guy. You can tell he really wants to make sure you know everything you need to know. Although his handling of the gimmick is not the one I ended up with, it was a good tutorial, none-the-less. The initial trick, the one he's selling, is by-far stronger than the "hands-off" version. I say that because with the hands-off version, I feel there's a bit of mucking about with the person's phone. Also, after performing this trick about ten times today, the iPhone was the only one that I could do the hands-off version with. That's not to say that it's exclusive; just that it was the only phone I came in contact with that would work. I did play with my iPhone for the hands-off effect, and it's a neat application; just not something I feel I would do. Right now, anyway.
So, on to the real gems of the DVD: the Bonus stuff. I truly felt like the price of admission was a fraction of what I would have paid to learn the Bonus material. Seriously, if you do phone magic (e.g. modern technology magic), do yourself a favor and get the DVD for this stuff alone. I was about three quarters of the way through the DVD when I came across "Power". For $.99 and this DVD you can do, what-I-feel, is the best trick on the DVD. I've already done this trick three times today and it has fooled all three. And I mean fooled. The re-set is about five seconds and you can do it anywhere, anytime, any place. And you will. Or at least I know I will. Anyone with a phone knows that what you're doing is impossible. So, ergo...magic.
To recap:
The Silencer (hands-on): I like it. No one guessed the method. Sometimes magicians forget that they can "see" things even when their audience can't "see" things. I would say that the vast majority of your audience will not think of the method. It's going into my bag for further exploration.
The Silencer (hands-off): Not a huge fan. It's a real 'pick-your-battle' type effect. If you find yourself in the situation, it's nice to know that you can do it. Other than that, don't expect to put it in your "worker" list.
Scribble: Love It! I found three tricks out of the multitude explained that I will be adding to my iPhone repertoire right away. This is worth the price; and not just the tricks, per se, but the concepts. I'm really glad I was exposed to this app. My head is already filled with ideas of things I can do with this.
Split: Neutral. The one part of the DVD I have not tried; though I am looking forward to testing it. It's a really neat effect and anyone with a computer and access to the Internet can accomplish it. I think that's it's a really good Bonus effect. I will be trying it out with my favorite song(s) soon.
Over-All Score: B+

Remember: Sometimes "Workers" Takes Work.
Misophoniac
View Profile
New user
Building a fence & still not done after
98 Posts

Profile of Misophoniac
Thanks for the detailed review, FSM!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Silencer by Jeff Prace (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL