The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How to time the release of something (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi!
I'd like to have a small banner on my close-up case with some text that falls of at a specific moment. It does not need to be exact but it has to be when I am not fiddling with the case itself.

How would I do something like this? Is there some kind of timed trigger I can use that will cut a string?
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
There are some very simple motors you can rig up to the unit to do it for you, either on a timer or a remote activator of some sort. These can all be found at electronics stores such as Radio Shack here in the U.S. and do not cost much money at all.

Does it have to be a string that makes it fall? Perhaps it could be a lever or an arm which is attached to a small motor. Perhaps you could even make use of a turnout motor unit (referring to what is commonly called a "switch motor" used in model railroading) and rig something from that. Perhaps you could make something that does not rely on electricity but rather on something like a spring or even a pin that is tripped with a hidden piece of thread.

Good luck and I hope this information is useful to you!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I went through that problem for years and tried pneumatic timers (photo equipment) music box motors, etc. and settled on just pulling a thread to do it with a pin that moved out.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Yes Pete, keep it simple and reliable!!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Pete said exactly what I was aiming for: Keep it simple! Less components and less parts is even less chances of anything failing on you.

I offered all the other ideas because I see you said it was on your close-up case. That can present some challenges but in any case (no pun intended), I would go with a pin and thread.

You can find the idea that Pete mentioned in his booklet on the Linking Rings, as well as in his masterwork of a book called The Real Secrets of the Chinese Linking Rings.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2013-08-12 12:58, Pete Biro wrote:
I went through that problem for years and tried pneumatic timers (photo equipment) music box motors, etc. and settled on just pulling a thread to do it with a pin that moved out.

You know what, with guys like Biro and other top guys, who have been part of the magic community for decades, chiming in with priceless tid-bits of info this place really becomes a gold mine. It's like asking for advice on basketball or info on the moon, and having Michael Jordan or Neil Armstrong responding.

I asked a question the other day about something I am working on, and within 24 hours I had two individuals who've been on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show offering their knowledge. Unbelievable.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yep, this is a great place.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Sometimes it is actually Magicians helping magicians. Nice to see.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you all for great tips!!!

Have a great week:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How to time the release of something (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL