The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Americans Renouncing Citizenship Jumps Sixfold As Tax Law Looms (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 17:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
The problem is Glenn that you are comparing hard reality with a fantasy. Fantasy will always win. Reality is real though, not theoretical. That is the problem you have.

It's REALLY hard to take people seriously when they say this when they are STILL trying to get these experiments with democracy, etc, to work.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I imagine those experiments started when people decided that anarchy wasn't working.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 17:21, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 15:49, gdw wrote:

"Divide $1 trillion by 46 million and you get around $21,700 for each American in poverty, or nearly $87,000 for a family of four. That’s almost four times the $23,050 per year federal poverty line for that family. It’s intriguing to think about converting all of this to a cash payment that would instantly lift everyone in poverty up to the middle class."

While this may be fine in the short term, the long term prospects wouldn't look as promising. The more people we let in, the more lower class families we're going to have. Before you know it, that $1 trillion isn't going to go as far as it does in this example.

You're presuming that things will continue on the current trajectory fostered by the current system and policies regarding the poor and immigration, ignoring the fact that everything that you're saying sounds fine in the short-term are removing everything that fuels the current trajectory.
In other words, it's exactly the opposite, everything being done now sounds good in the short term, but is clearly failing, and actually perpetuating things, in the long run.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 17:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I imagine those experiments started when people decided that anarchy wasn't working.

Exactly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That's right Glenn close your eyes don't answer the questions. It will all just happen.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
What question have I not answered, Danny?
Your implementation one? The question doesn't even make sense, and yet I STILL answered it.

How about you answer a question of mine?
I'm not trying to "trap" you here; I'm genuinely curious, you keep talking about our "responsibility" (no one had any in chosen responsibilities) to help those less fortunate, particularly as a justification for government, what about health care?

Again, totally not trying to trap you, I really want to know how that works in your mind.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you do not see the difference in government and society I can't help you Glenn.

Fact is that as a SOCIETY that has evolved beyond robber barrens we have a responsibility whether we sign on for it or not.

How do you think things will just get done without a collective responsibility of some sort Glenn? Your idea is a recipe for the strong to take from the weak. You NEVER address that. No anarchist ever does. But hey good on ya for being consistent.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And what you never answer is implementation. There IS a system to transition out of so implementing a new one is necessary. Sorry.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
You guys still at it?
Write your beliefs on a piece of toilet paper and flush it. You won't sway each other.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Now, Steve, moot is not always moot... and never mute...

Beside which, would it not be more appropriate to advise they eat their beliefs and then flush them in the morning? Just a thought...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Aren't they already trying to force each other to eat their words?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 19:20, Dannydoyle wrote:
If you do not see the difference in government and society I can't help you Glenn.

Fact is that as a SOCIETY that has evolved beyond robber barrens we have a responsibility whether we sign on for it or not.

How do you think things will just get done without a collective responsibility of some sort Glenn? Your idea is a recipe for the strong to take from the weak. You NEVER address that. No anarchist ever does. But hey good on ya for being consistent.

You really just don't read anything I write, do you?
I've been talking about a voluntary SOCIETY.

As for the strong taking hold, first off, what the hell do you think happens now?
The idea that "anarchy" would be nothing but "survival of the fittest" is just as misrepresentative as the ignorance of creationists attempting to contort the same in terms of evolution, and "atheists."
It's not ignored by "anarchists;" it's been addressed by almost every single prominent "anarchist" in history. There are entire books written on.
Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution, for example.

It's not the question which is getting ignored.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 19:21, Dannydoyle wrote:
And what you never answer is implementation. There IS a system to transition out of so implementing a new one is necessary. Sorry.

Again, I DID answer this. There's no new "system" to implement.
It's the equivalent of asking how do you transplant in the new tumor after removing the old one.

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Specious, gdw, but funny...
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Besides, what's more entertaining than following economic/political discussions on a magicians forum...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Agreed- but should not a magician be able make it all disappear??
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Man, am I padding my post count...
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 21:54, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Man, am I padding my post count...

Not in this section of TMC you're not.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Amazing how many folks don't realize that!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 10:12, gdw wrote:

You're putting us on, right?
There certainly are some industries which are much easier to enter than others, but this kind of thinking as an overall view of what it's like to be entrepreneurial in america is a joke:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillip......the-u-s/
http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

No he's not. There are some people in this world who simply don't see the roadblocks that are obvious to the rest of us. These are the people who casually say; "Start your own business" or "Move somewhere where you can get work." when you try to explain why things are difficult for you.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Americans Renouncing Citizenship Jumps Sixfold As Tax Law Looms (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL