The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Americans Renouncing Citizenship Jumps Sixfold As Tax Law Looms (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
My only hope is that some of you will look at what I'm saying and apply it to your own life. The rest of you can think I'm a bragging, full of himself moron, for all I care. The only people I give a crap about are the ones I can help.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 13:46, Slide wrote:
Can you think of something that you know that people would pay $20 a month to learn? Great, then find 499 more. YOu do that by becoming expert in social media, email marketing, linked in, and other ways of driving traffic to your site.

There is a lot more to it, of douse. But you'll have to pay the $20 to find out.

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but are you saying if I have a skill (let's say magic) and I charge people $20 a month to learn it from me, the goal is to find 499 people interested in taking magic lessons from me? That's the business model?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Okay, that's what I thought.

Best of luck.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Actually, you don't have to do a thing. My members make most of the content, just like the magic Café.

Take magic: do you think there are 500 magicians who would pay $20 a month to have a PRIVATE version of the magic Café? Or maybe 100? If it is a 100, the magic Café site becomes one of many other sites you create.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
They aren't paying $20 to learn from you. they are paying $20 to be a member of an exclusive club where they can talk with peers in a setting where everyone has been vetted.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Best of luck."

for what?
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 14:14, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 13:46, Slide wrote:
Can you think of something that you know that people would pay $20 a month to learn? Great, then find 499 more. YOu do that by becoming expert in social media, email marketing, linked in, and other ways of driving traffic to your site.

There is a lot more to it, of douse. But you'll have to pay the $20 to find out.

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but are you saying if I have a skill (let's say magic) and I charge people $20 a month to learn it from me, the goal is to find 499 people interested in taking magic lessons from me? That's the business model?

That seems close, but not quite right. The key difference is that your business model doesn't scale well from 1 to 500. Websites, on the other hand, scale brilliantly from 1 to 500. (Although there are eventually scaling issues with websites, I'm not sure exactly at what number of users the issues become significant.)

To be sure, I wouldn't be convinced by Slide's business model -- at least as presented. The whole trick seems to be finding that niche, and I bet it's way harder than it sounds. But, if he's managed to pull it off a few times, good for him!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'm pretty skeptical. But "Slide" has a million dollars in the bank and a house on the Hudson, so clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about. The guy behind the curtain has it all figured out so that's all that matters.
Sounds a bit like a get rich quick deal to me. I have a hard time believing that these models are sustainable over a long period of time, if at all.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
God, the niches are everywhere. It takes a little thought and effort but when I have presented this to any niche industry, I always here the same thing: our industry could use something like that.
But of course that is the fun part. Building the business, see what each one needs. It is really quite fun.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-13 14:16, Slide wrote:
Actually, you don't have to do a thing. My members make most of the content, just like the magic Café.

Take magic: do you think there are 500 magicians who would pay $20 a month to have a PRIVATE version of the magic Café? Or maybe 100? If it is a 100, the magic Café site becomes one of many other sites you create.

That's the thing that makes me a little skeptical of the model. The answer is no, I *don't* think there are 500 magicians who would pay $20/month to have a private version of this site.

What does the privacy get you? Maybe fewer newbies, trolls, or other riff-raff. So presumably, the target for that site is folks who are relatively advanced in magic. I don't know about magic, but in other fields I'm familiar with (math, law, chess), those folks know each other pretty well regardless.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Sounds a bit like a get rich quick deal to me"

except I don't profit from getting you "rich quick", (well, I do hope you join my site when it is created but other than the $20 a month. I don't sell videos, books, I don't do lectures or anything like that. )
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"What does the privacy get you"

A lot. And you don't think there are 100 people who would join a site were real secrets could be shared and discussed? How many people have joined magic clubs? It is the same thing.

Anyway, too big a discussion for this site.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 12:08, Dannydoyle wrote:
Just goes to show how full of crap GDW is. Turns out you CAN leave if you want.

Slide bragging about this stuff, well means little when you are a pseudonym.

And the irony you seem to miss is it is not the people with money who are hurt by taxes. Even if they are taxes directed at the rich. The middle class and working poor always pay them. A gasoline tax hurts the working poor FAR more than the rich. When a tax is levied on a producer that tax is passed along on EVERY level of the product. This raises prices and it hurts the people WITHOUT MONEY far more than those who have it.

This is the dirty little secret of taxes. You don't EVER hurt the rich with taxes. If they own companies, they pass it along and the working poor and poor ALWAYS end up paying them. It is not fair and it bites but it happens.

Hey man, somebody has got to pay taxes. Nothing in this world is free. I would rather pay taxes and be a contributor to society than be a moocher. Government isn't free, nothing is free and you have to work and pay for your keep. I wouldn't feel right not contributing and paying my fair share of taxes. I think it's pretty disgusting to dodge paying taxes, but hey, some people just don't have a soul or any values or morals. Honestly, I feel good to pay taxes and I don't think my tax rate is unreasonable at all. Government costs money.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-13 14:41, Slide wrote:
"What does the privacy get you"

A lot. And you don't think there are 100 people who would join a site were real secrets could be shared and discussed? How many people have joined magic clubs? It is the same thing.

Anyway, too big a discussion for this site.

I dunno, there's a certain level of secrecy on this site: the posting requirement to get into "secret sessions" is a gatekeeper, albeit not a very difficult one to get around. Then there are private messages, which (hopefully) are as private as any other password-secured site.

Would an invitation-only, more private site be better? Perhaps. But is it worth $20 / month? That's the part I'm less sanguine about.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 14:55, MobilityBundle wrote:
Then there are private messages, which (hopefully) are as private as any other password-secured site.

Don't bank on it.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I didn't get a chance to re-edit my post, I don't think slide was necessarily "bragging" he was just appreciating the fact that he has had plenty of opportunity here in America. He is one of the few that recognize that nothing in this world is free and you got to pay if you want to live in a society that has opportunity and the rule of law. You can't have opportunity and the rule of law unless you have government and you can't have government unless you pay. Nothing is free.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
" But is it worth $20 / month? That's the part I'm less sanguine about.'

Setting the price point is what building a business is all about. A good way to start is to offer it for free for a while and then see how much value you generate. Never underestimate the power of "privacy" ESPECIALLY to magicians.

I like to look at it as: every site has to find its value. When the site is generating value, you'll have a pretty good idea what to charge.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Incidently I never advocated NOT paying taxes.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you don't like it here go to the country of your choosing as soon as you can, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"was just appreciating the fact that he has had plenty of opportunity here in America. "

exactly. Thank you for your ability to read what's written.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Americans Renouncing Citizenship Jumps Sixfold As Tax Law Looms (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL