The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This thread is for you to flaunt your eccentricities! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I love to sleep in the car! Really...

I love to watch inspirational videos and baby laughing videos on Youtube for hours on end... (I know, explains a lot...Smile)

A few more I'll share later... Smile

What are your eccentricities?

Come on, those stuff that makes other people tell you you're weird. But you couldn't care less... Smile

Be proud of strangeness here! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I love professional wrestling.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 13:26, mastermindreader wrote:
I love professional wrestling.

Smile

Would not have guessed that about you, Bob... Smile

Everyone else?

I know you wanna share... Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Wouldn't even know where to start. Thanks to my OCD I don't like to touch public doorknobs, the television or radio volume must be set to an even number or I have a fullblown panic attack, and lots of other things. Imagine if Howard Hughes didn't have all that money and that's pretty much where I'm sitting right now Smile
I recently wrote of some benefits of OCD, one of which is that when I really get a problem in my head my mind doesn't stop working on it until every detail is perfect.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I always touch the outside side of an airplane, to the right of the door, when I'm boarding. A bit silly since I'm a pilot but it's a thing I have to do before I can get on (and I only do it on airliners, but I've never had that issue when it's a plane I'm personally flying.)
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I've got my OCD quite well "managed" myself; I still try to avoid directly touching public doors, etc, and remain hyper aware of any part of me that does touch them, or similar.

I'm a huge comic book geek, among other things.

There's the obvious; I'm a philosophical anarchist, and border line pacifist.

I've been in judo since I was 3; it's a family sport. We actually lived in Japan for a while when I was 8, for my father to train.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 13:58, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I always touch the outside side of an airplane, to the right of the door, when I'm boarding. A bit silly since I'm a pilot but it's a thing I have to do before I can get on (and I only do it on airliners, but I've never had that issue when it's a plane I'm personally flying.)

I do the same thing! And I have no idea why. I've just always thought it was a good idea for some reason.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
I walk around barefoot almost everywhere!
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I talk to myself a lot when I'm alone, and in a very wide variety of characters and voices.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:

That's amazing! I do the same thing! Have been doing it since the late seventies! Only instead of touching it, I gently knock with my right index and forefingers to the right of the entrance as boarding the plane. It's kinda like an OCD thing for sure.

Speaking of airplanes, I always look at my watch at the beginning of the takeoff roll to the instant of liftoff, counting the seconds. If it goes beyond forty seconds, I get nervous.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
When we say "eccentric," what exactly are we talking about?
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I always factorize (or at least attempt to factorize) numbers I see. I often consider what words I see spell backwards. (Not when I'm really reading something... or heaven forbid, writing something. But if I see a street sign or a short sentence, almost always.)

I almost always wear sweatpants and t-shirts when I can. I used to work at kind of big, stuffy law firms. I reigned my desire to wear sweatpants and t-shirts in while I worked there. But now I work for a small firm. Occasionally I go back to the large firms for social functions or seminars. I almost always wear sweatpants and a t-shirt. I wore sweatpants and t-shirts exclusively (... not almost exclusively; I mean EXCLUSIVELY) from about 5th grade up through my second year of graduate school. I didn't cut my hair for approximately that amount of time.

I typically only sleep 2-3 hours at a time, but 2-3 times a day. Every so often I'll stay up for 24 or 48 hours, after which I'll sleep for 14-18 hours straight.

I also reflexively mimic sounds I hear around me. Cars honking, ring tones, door chimes, etc. Not always, but it's a pretty strong reflex.

Despite all this, my wife is shockingly normal. Like... dead center normal. She even met me when I was a long hair, sweatpants wearing, vagrant mathematician.

In many social circles, carrying around a deck of cards is considered an eccentricity. Does that fly here? Smile
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 14:26, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

I do the same thing! And I have no idea why. I've just always thought it was a good idea for some reason.

Yikes! Three of us!

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 14:48, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 14:26, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

Yikes! Three of us!

I was going to say maybe it's some kind of Seattle thing between Bob Cassidy and I but you're a New Yorker, aren't you? So now I don't know WHAT to think.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Native New Yorker but living in Delaware now. But definitely east coast, yes. As to what to think? I think I said it pretty well above. YIKES!

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 13:50, critter wrote:
Wouldn't even know where to start. Thanks to my OCD I don't like to touch public doorknobs, the television or radio volume must be set to an even number or I have a fullblown panic attack, and lots of other things. Imagine if Howard Hughes didn't have all that money and that's pretty much where I'm sitting right now Smile
I recently wrote of some benefits of OCD, one of which is that when I really get a problem in my head my mind doesn't stop working on it until every detail is perfect.

I know what you're going through bro, I suffer from OCD too...

And my attention to detail couldn't overlook your statement, critter...

"I recently wrote of some benefits of OCD, one of which is that when I really get a problem in my head my mind doesn't stop working on it until every detail is perfect."

Until every detail of the problem is perfect?

I'm sure you mean every detail of the solution is perfect, right?

Forgive me. Blame it on the OCD. Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 14:48, Pop Haydn wrote:
When we say "eccentric," what exactly are we talking about?

Whatever about you that you think is eccentric. Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Kind of both. I have to have the most efficient course set and think of possible variations that could come up in the problem to have contingencies for in alternate solutions.
Now, this doesn't mean I'm always a perfectionist, just when something is stressing me in any way.
~Will Rogers
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 15:08, Bob1Dog wrote:
Native New Yorker but living in Delaware now. But definitely east coast, yes. As to what to think? I think I said it pretty well above. YIKES!

Well people can mock us if they choose but I can count the number of plane crashes I've been in on using zero fingers Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't know why they never let me bring my own parachute Smile
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This thread is for you to flaunt your eccentricities! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL