The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This thread is for you to flaunt your eccentricities! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
There will be no tattoo's for me. I'm diabetic and if I push my luck the big boss might force me to get a real job. She only weigh 90 lbs, but she scares the he** out of me.

I'm a kids magician, and mom's like their kiddie magicians to look clean cut.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3526 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I am no guppy. I have crossed the equator seven times, and shipped to countries all around the world on cruise ships for fifteen years. I never got a tattoo until I was sixty. Now I have two lovely tats on my forearms. They are both nautical tattoos from the 1850's-60's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 22:12, Pop Haydn wrote:
I am no guppy. I have crossed the equator seven times, and shipped to countries all around the world on cruise ships for fifteen years. I never got a tattoo until I was sixty. Now I have two lovely tats on my forearms. They are both nautical tattoos from the 1850's-60's.

Were these to support your character?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I'd had over 45 different jobs before the age of 35, would quit when offered (or threatened with) any promotion. I write best between midnight and 3AM. I talk to myself...and answer myself. I am very shy among peers, knowing they are much more experienced than I. athe thought of sitting for a more formal dinner terrifies me. Behind a mask, character or puppet, I am a different personality. I have a slight ability to know what colors feel like, what taste colors are and what texture odors are. I seem to be very sensitive to the tells of selfish or shallow people. I'm very comfortable living very cheaply, and have a genetic propensity to being a hoarder, but missed it by THISSSS MUCH!...got a few in the family, luckily I'm just a collector. I'll OCD a subject and study/collect it till I KNOW it...wanna buy a book test??? CT???

That'll do for now. I also make lists.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 22:34, frankvomit wrote:
I used to have an uncontrollable need to correct people's grammar
Until one day I realized how annoying it is so as much as it kills me to hear the English language get murdered I stay polite and quiet . There are other things but I'll just ride with that one.

I don't do this any more, but in high school I had my own grammar-related eccentricity:

It really bugged me when people used adjectives instead of adverbs. ("Yeah, he cooks real good.") So in equal parts protest, joke, and effort to right the cosmic imbalance, for a while I used adverbs instead of adjectives. Like, "Wine is nicely with dinner, but on a hotly day, I prefer coldly beer."
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Here's one that reared its head tonight at dinner!

Sometimes I go to great effort to achieve symmetry (to various degrees of abstraction), especially when I think it will expose someone's underlying hypocrisy. Two examples:

1. In college, there were always tons of people on campus handing out flyers for stuff. A lot of those people were really aggressive in terms of getting you to take a flyer. Even if you were just going to throw it away, they really didn't let you go without taking one. So one day, I decided I'd take the first flyer, and then try to give it to the next person who handed one to me (thereby achieving flyer-handing-out symmetry).

I also found it funny that, as aggressive as people were about handing them out, very few people wanted to take them (thus revealing some degree of hypocrisy). I would be just as aggressive with them as they were with me. Sometimes they'd take them, sometimes not... but I always got a kick out of it. Still do.

2. Along the same lines, if someone stopped me for something that I thought would be a waste of time, I'd often preemptively try to waste theirs. This happened tonight at dinner: right now, I'm in Rome. At restaurants, these guys make the rounds and sell roses. Especially if they see a couple on a date -- they go right to those tables first.

I have no problem with that; folks got to earn a living any way they can. The annoying part is that they really don't take no for an answer. You say "no," then they just stay there, asking if you want to buy a rose. Even if my wife says no, or if we both say no -- however unequivocally, or even rudely -- they just keep trying for a long LONG time.

So tonight, when a rose guy came up, I said: "No, do you want to see a card trick?" and fanned out some cards. "Go on, pick a card! Pick one!" So he picks one, and I do something quick and simple... say, lose it in the deck, find it via hot shot cut. Then, really urgently, I say "Okay, another one! Let me show you another one!" And then I do something slightly longer. Then another one! The tricks keep getting slightly longer, until the guys starts to get fidgety because now I'm wasting HIS time. But I won't let them go. Another trick! One more trick!

I get a huge kick out of it, and thankfully so does my wife. Smile

I do the same thing to folks who stop me on the street to talk to me about their religion or political candidate.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
The first thing I do each day on arising is tend to the bladder, (sorry if that's too much information) then immediately weigh myself in my skivvies. Body weight is body weight. It's something that drives me crazy at doctor's offices. They weigh you with all your clothes on! Depending on your clothing you might have 7 extra pounds!

If I forget to weigh myself first thing, and get sidetracked to other wakeup necessities, including getting dressed, I invariably remember that I forgot to weigh myself. I undress and then weigh myself. Then I put my clothes back on. Body weight is body weight!

I watch my weight so closely because the older I get the harder it is to maintain and/or lose weight. It's a daily struggle. When I was younger I could easily lose five pounds in a week. Not so anymore. And then there's OCD. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2903 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I have this left-over habit from when I was learning to fly umpteen years ago and memorizing the phonetic alphabet... I look at license plates and sound them out: Alpha Fox November or whatever. Doesn't happen all the time, but I catch myself at it now and then and wonder why I'm still doing it.

I also count things... silly things... spokes on hubcaps, lampposts on bridges or overpasses, stuff that's all in a row or a circle, like I have to figure out why it was designed that way. Just now, we're in a hotel room, and I caught myself counting the vertical trim pieces on the headboard (five). Don't have a clue why, and I'm getting myself out of it, but you asked.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-17 01:06, George Ledo wrote:
I have this left-over habit from when I was learning to fly umpteen years ago and memorizing the phonetic alphabet... I look at license plates and sound them out: Alpha Fox November or whatever. Doesn't happen all the time, but I catch myself at it now and then and wonder why I'm still doing it.

My left-over habit from my military service is also the phonetic alphabet and it serves me quite well today as my hearing is declining in my years. I use it frequently on the phone and it drives me nuts when someone on the other end says Mary instead of Mike, or Frank instead of Foxtrot.

Then, there's the ten series radio codes!

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I am also a boarder-line hoarder. I collect "things" that I feel might one day be useful. I am crowded and cluttered, but I am not filthy... I don't have piles of garbage and I have a pest control service, so no vermin.

I have a nearly photographic memory for object position. This comes in handy when you have as much crap as I do.

I also have willy shivering arachnophobia. I am very afraid of spiders, but no other animals that I know of.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4456 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 13:26, mastermindreader wrote:
I love professional wrestling.

Can believe that you look like you could be a pro wrestler character. .....and....not in a you look like a big fat hairy biker kind of way......
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I'm obsessive about checking locked doors and car headlights (making sure they are off).
I'm fascinated with anything macabre.
I collect figure kits (monsters, etc.), restraints/locks and Iron Maiden memorabilia (the device, not the band).
I'm a walking encyclopedia of horror films from the dawn of film to the mid-1970's.
I'm acrophobic, and am wary of strangers and authority figures.
I read pulp hero novels.
My biggest pet peeve is a narcissist mystery performer trying to foist his 'line' on his fellow performers as if they are all 'rubes.'
I'm a confirmed cynic.
I like people to fear that I am a madman.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
A little OCD is probably a benefit to a magician.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-08-17 12:33, dave_matkin wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-15 13:26, mastermindreader wrote:
I love professional wrestling.

Can believe that you look like you could be a pro wrestler character. .....and....not in a you look like a big fat hairy biker kind of way......

That was actually once a dream of mine. I wrestled in high school and college, but finally realized that I just wasn't big enough or heavy enough to ever hope to go pro. (I think I would have made a badass manager or announcer, though. Smile)
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
890 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
I am amazed at how quick we are to openly admit our personal little quirks here.

Perhaps that, in and of itself, is a quirk that we mystery workers share too.
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I was actually surprised there were so many people with OCD on this forum. I wonder if there is a higher than average propensity towards OCD within the magic community, after all, it is a rather obsessive hobby, makes sense.

It also explains why people will go to the ends of the earth defending their position here, regardless of its merit.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My buddy Chris McDaniels just got a cowgirl twirling a lasso on his shoulder, and I'm beginning to get jealous of Chris and Pop, because at our age we will die before they blur. LOL
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 13:05, Slide wrote:
I was actually surprised there were so many people with OCD on this forum. I wonder if there is a higher than average propensity towards OCD within the magic community, after all, it is a rather obsessive hobby, makes sense.

It also explains why people will go to the ends of the earth defending their position here, regardless of its merit.

Interesting; very interesting.

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1199 Posts

Profile of imgic
Perhaps my biggest eccentricity is continuing to read, and post, in Not Very Magical...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have juggled for about an hour a day for the past 32 years, with only a brief pause for open heart surgery, and I know nothing about eccentricities, I am totally dedicated, and obsessed. In fact I juggled for the first three or four years before I found out that you can make money juggling. I learned my first magic trick to compliment my juggling act. I call myself a magician these days because I'm old, but the magic is just a cover up for my juggling obsession.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This thread is for you to flaunt your eccentricities! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL