The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What magician would you be afraid to fight? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
So when are we getting these scraps sanctioned? Let's do this.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 16:00, Pop Haydn wrote:
Gazzo and Ricki Dunn both boxers.

Gazzo was a boxer? That explains how he can let those insults fly on the street yet always remain so calm and cool. I think that's cool. Didn't know that about him.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
Gazzo was a boxer? That explains how he can let those insults fly on the street yet always remain so calm and cool. I think that's cool. Didn't know that about him.

Now here is the thing that confuses me. How can you train in MMA or boxing and have your finger joints all messed up and still be like an awesome magician or sleight of hand artist? Back when I was in good shape and going to an MMA gym, I always walked away after training hard with my joints all messed up in my fingers and it made practicing magic more difficult. So, to me, I felt it was either choose to be a great magician or choose to be a great MMA fighter. So I went with being a magician given that I love magic. Can you do both really well though? I know my joints in my fingers were locked and difficult to move around gracefully while performing sleight of hand with cards and coins and such.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Other than Dorenbos, I gotta say, I wouldn't want a piece of Critter. You guys have seen the stuff he does at the Highland Games, right?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-16 22:55, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Other than Dorenbos, I gotta say, I wouldn't want a piece of Critter. You guys have seen the stuff he does at the Highland Games, right?

Dude there are countless bad asses these days. The instructor I had at the MMA gym I used to train at years ago (which I don't train anymore and I am not in that kind of shape like I used to be) was a short, small dude and was just a nice guy and happy all the time and smiling all the time, you would never know he was a true blue bad ass unless you were one of the unfortunate guys on the street who tried to pick a fight with him or bully him because he was a small dude.

I mean, I think with the way MMA has developed and become popular these days, you just have a bunch of bad asses that are trained like hell to fight. It's almost like bad asses are just a dime a dozen. But my question, can you live up to your full potential as a magician, if you also train hard in MMA?

MMA can injure your joints and your finger joints can get locked which makes performing magic more difficult. If I felt like I could do both without harming my ability to practice magic, I would be glad to do both MMA and magic, but my experience is like it seemed my finger joints would get locked and MMA fighters suffer some pretty serious injuries that could also harm a magic career. I feel you have to choose one or the other. Or is this wrong? I am interested in hearing what some of the others think.

Edit: Plus you have to consider the time it takes to train in MMA and the time it takes to practice and get really good with magic. Both take a lot of time and hard work. So, to me, it seems like you have to make a choice, especially if you are somebody who has a wife like I do where you have to balance time between work, recreation and family. It's one thing to go out and exercise for 30 minutes to an hour, quite another to train in MMA which is way way more intense and time consuming.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16121 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ricky Jay ... he would have both your eyes out with a card in a blink.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Richard Turner, 5th degree black belt. He looks pretty bad *** in this picture on his wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Richard-turner-karate.jpg
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-16 23:35, rockwall wrote:
Richard Turner, 5th degree black belt. He looks pretty bad *** in this picture on his wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Richard-turner-karate.jpg

Yeah, dude looks bad ass. I wouldn't mess with him either.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Odd: nobody's mentioned Jeff McBride.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm probably disqualified since I'm so out of practice at magic Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
I'm probably disqualified since I'm so out of practice at magic.

Yeah, years ago when I did MMA just to stay in shape (and this was at a gym that had fighters who fought professionally, so they would really put me through the ropes even though I was just doing it to stay in good shape) I would spend at least 3 hours a day at the gym scrapping and exercising with the guys and we had some pretty bad injuries at times. They would have me take these huge monster tires that were really heavy and flip them over and over back and forth across the gym. I thought I was going to die. It really tough. I would walk away with the joints in my fingers locked up to from all the sparing and learning various different moves. You learn to take quite a beating honestly speaking and keep fighting despite taking a beating. It makes you very mentally and physically hard and tough. When I first started out, the first month, literally, I had trouble walking because the workouts were so intense.

I performed magic then has an amateur which I had been doing for years as a hobby but eventually realized that I was going to have to make a choice. Either exercise by running or walking or biking (that's if I get up off my lazy rear end and do it) and performing magic seriously and professionally or take MMA seriously as a hobby and sport and kinda put magic on the back burner. It was going to be either one or the other.

Honestly, I enjoy entertaining people and just amazing and making people smile rather than punching their lights out or getting my lights punched out by somebody badder than me so I decided to go with magic over MMA. Plus I just love magic the best anyway and just how amazing the art of magic is and the creativity involved with magic. I felt it was important to choose one or the other and not try to do both halfway but choose one and do it all the way, but again it required I make a choice. MMA is an awesome sport and certainly gives you a lot of confidence but so does magic in a different way.

MMA gives you confidence when you train hard and take it seriously because you know you are a bad ass and you are really awesome shape (fighters are in phenomenal shape and I don't think people really understand what kind of shape the MMA fighters are in, because they really train very very hard). Magic gives you confidence because you are having to perform difficult sleight of hand tricks in front of strangers and try to fool while entertaining. This requires lot of practice while not performing and coming up with presentations to make it entertaining while embedding misdirection in the presentation in order to fool people. So you get awesome people skills and you learn how to approach people and still make them feel comfortable and make them smile, so it magic gives you a difference kind of confidence that doesn't come from being a bad ass, but from performing in front of people and knowing how to make people happy, smile and laugh and you have to approach with confidence and have good people skills. Plus it takes a lot of confidence to approach sharp eyed people and perform difficult sleight of hand right before their eyes and fool them and get away with it.

You don't have to be a bad ass to have good people skills or to have confidence. But MMA certainly gives you confidence from being in tremendous shape and knowing you can hold your own if you ever found yourself in a bad situation. Which you shouldn't be putting yourself in a situation outside of the cage where you have to fight in the first place. MMA fighters also avoid the bar like the plague because alcohol is just not good for you physically and it's just a place where there is a lot of trouble. They are usually focused on training for the next fight (at least the ones who do it professionally) and being mentally prepared for it.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Misophoniac
View Profile
New user
Building a fence & still not done after
98 Posts

Profile of Misophoniac
Ekaterina Dobrokhotova, because I'm a proper gentleman and couldn't fight back. This is how it would go down: First she would do a perfect overhead card spring with boxing gloves on, stunning me. Then she would immediately perform Nefesch's Hug, causing me to collapse with laughter for the entire 10 count from the memory of an epic Café thread.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
I met Dorenbos, and he was a lot bigger than me.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Big dude. Good thing he's a nice guy. Did he do magic for you?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
We swapped a couple Shoot Ogawa rope moves at Super Sunday a few years ago. I really liked his well endowed girl friend.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4445 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 12:21, Pop Haydn wrote:
I stole Ali's watch twice, once at his table at Balboa's Magic Island, and once at a private party. He loves magic. He made me watch him do a color-changing silk, and then explained the whole thing to everyone at the table, showing the little dye tube and everything--he loved to do tricks, but felt his religion required him to not "fool" anybody.

He is a very nice, very kind man. I wouldn't want to fight him:

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."

Muhammad Ali

You lot are wimps ....... I reckon I could take him .....unless we have to go back to his prime? Then I wouldn't .....heck who am I kidding! He'd kick my arse even now...... I don't think any magician would get past the ropes without doing cut and restored rope .....down hill from there on really trying to out do each other! Smile

I liked the Rincwind line!

I wouldn't want to go up against McBride ......or even more .....I think Pat Page would whoop most people! I got the feeling he may fight like ...no dispepect but I think he would fight dirty (aka effectively)
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Costello: "...and in my next bout I'm gonna fight Gene Tierney."
Abbott: "You mean Gene Tunney."
Costello: "Look--you fight who YOU wanna fight, I'll fight who I wanna fight!"
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Tony Giorgio. After all, he was one of the guys who killed Luca Brasi.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I would be afraid to fight Copperfield.

'Cause I love him too much. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What magician would you be afraid to fight? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL