The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Death of Poe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
550 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Thanks for sharing Ed,

Looks great and will PM you on this one.

Eric
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5206 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That looks very nice Ed.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I had this waiting on me when I got back from vacation. I had already read the manuscript beforehand and loved the effect - simple, self-working, with a great story/premise - and it's about POE!!! As folks have already said on here, the props are a work of art themselves and really help to set the atmosphere when you pull them out. I'm looking forward to trying this out in a few days at our magic club meeting and I will report back here with the reactions. It's been awhile since I was on here but I wanted to chime in and say another winner put out by Vic - if you don't have this and you are a fan of Vic's other products, or a fan of Poe, you can't go wrong - and it's definitely priced way below the value of the effect!

Two thumbs way up!

Chad
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
882 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
I grabbed gtreat effect this for a show that isn't going to happen. Just listed in Tricks and effects for sale.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=76&0
drstevemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Addicted to For Sale Forum so only have
253 Posts

Profile of drstevemagic
In case any one else was wondering about "Cooping" as I was:

The day Poe was found by Joseph Walker was an election day, and many have since theorized that an illegal process known as "cooping" was the cause of Poe's death. Basically a method for tilting an election toward a particular candidate, cooping was described by William Baird in the mid-1870s:

"At that time, and for years before and after, there was an infamous custom in this and other cities, at election time, of "cooping" voters. That is, gangs of men picked up, or even carried off by force, men whom they found in the streets — and transported them to cellars in various slums of the city, where they were kept under guard, threatened, maltreated if they attempted to escape, often robbed, and always compelled to drink whiskey [sometimes mixed with other drugs] — until they were stupefied and helpless.

At the election these miserable wretches were brought up to the polls in carts or omnibuses, under guard, and made to vote the tickets in their hands [repeatedly at different voting places]. Death from the ill-treatment was not very uncommon. The general belief here is that Poe was seized by one of these gangs — 'cooped,' stupefied with liquor, dragged out and voted [again and again], then turned adrift to die."
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5206 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Hmmmmm. Sounds like a plot for a Poe story.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4681 Posts

Profile of RNK
I finally got around to performing this at a gathering yesterday. I must say- I am disappointed. (with myself) I should have been performing this so much more! The information (biography) Vic supplies about Poe really makes this piece so logical and coherent. I will say when I received the pdf and took a look at it- I thought to myself- wow! So much info to digest. Though I have not digested all of Vic's information about Poe- I will go back and try to digest more. Only because after performing this- while going through the story/patter during the performance- my eyes were opened to how much the specs were involved and interested in this with the story I was laying out to them. I could see that the specs would have appreciated even more info about Poe. Note- you don't need to learn everything for this to be a success- I have not learned everything and this was a huge hit! I just saw how you could, if you wanted to, add more to the story and it would not dull the effect. I am really starting to get "pulled" into this realm of magic. Gemini has really got a "hook" in my mouth, lol!

Now I have to delve into The Alchemist's Bane I just received this weekend! Superior quality and art work with these cards. Can't wait to start reading and digesting!!!

Great work Vic!

RNK
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Thanks so much for the kind words. I appreciate it!
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Corfu, Greece
577 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Just one thing, in the words of Columbo, I thought the smell of almonds was associated to cyanide and not arsenic?

The idea and props look good though.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I love this effect!
piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
Thanks for sharing!
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I pulled the routine I posted above as it may give away more than the creator would like. I will re-post in the crypt section. Anyone wanna swap routines ideas downstairs?
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Absolutely love this effect, Vic has outdone himself!

There's a great video biography of Poe here, for those performers who want even more background than the (incredibly comprehensive) performance manual provides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf61QOZnfm0
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
After a few cancelled magic meetings at my home - I am pleased to say that this was a huge hit at our monthly meeting. Performed for a few magicians and one young magician, was thinks more like a laymen still, the story was just as captivating as the actual reveal at the end. This prop and routine just draws people in so easily and the fact that the spectator(s) have a free choice, etc plays so very strong. Even the magicians in the group who is "in the know" on the general method were discussing how interesting the premise was and how nice the props were as well. It was specifically stated that the creator must have put in a huge amount of time on the creation of all the pieces in the set.

Again, this is a great routine, a great effect, a great back-story/premise - and I highly recommend it for any Poe lovers out there. I will be performing this again this Saturday for a larger crowd of "regular" folks and am looking forward to their responses! Especially after just having heard my telling of The Tell-Tale Heart prior to the performance of The Death of Poe.

Thanks again Vic!
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Death of Poe and the Poe Brainwave are on the shopping list. They will go so well with BOM Poe Edition and Dopps, and allow me to mix and match as the mood takes me. And we get to introduce some younger folks to this 19th Century fellow.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
That's great Chad! Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 07:46, Brynmore14 wrote:
Death of Poe and the Poe Brainwave are on the shopping list. They will go so well with BOM Poe Edition and Dopps, and allow me to mix and match as the mood takes me. And we get to introduce some younger folks to this 19th Century fellow.

Yes, the Poe Brainwave is great as well! I will also have that with me on my Poe tour this weekend. And the price is great!
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 23:32, Chad C. wrote:
Even the magicians in the group who were "in the know" on the general method were discussing how interesting the premise was and how nice the props were as well. It was specifically stated that the creator must have put in a huge amount of time on the creation of all the pieces in the set.

This is an excellent point that should not be skimmed over too lightly. The Death of Poe props are real convincers, exquisite & well-made. Even without an effect, they'd hold an audience spellbound through the story itself. With the effect, this is a true winner. If you don't own Death of Poe, it is well worth the price.

BC
Phasmologist
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1002 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Attached below is a link to my tribute to the great author....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tShYyzb3cNY

Chuck Caputo
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Nice Chuck, thanks for sharing!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Death of Poe (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL