We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Best rope penetration effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I am looking to add a rope penetration effect to my show. I am wondering which penetration effects give the best audience reaction? Ropes through body?
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
432 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I would say look at Bob Sheet's Hang 'Em High Rope Through Body Routine....
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Is this more powerful than the classical two ropes through body, in which some tying is necessary? Looking at it on YouTube, the reactions of Hang em High are great.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
432 Posts

I don't know that its any more "powerful", if you mean believable, other than two spectators each holding one end of a rope. Personally, its all in your presentation.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Is Hang em High hard to do?
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
432 Posts

Someone has it for sale in the DVD section for $4.....
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Linking the centers of two ropes, each rope a different color and the ends never leave your sight, is a powerful penetration, and you don't need a box to accomplish it. It's just one of the effects that is part of Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki's "Blendo Ropes" in The Wizards' Journal #16, but that one effect gets the audience to believe the other penetrations that happen in the routine.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 09:39, jimgerrish wrote:
Linking the centers of two ropes, each rope a different color and the ends never leave your sight, is a powerful penetration, and you don't need a box to accomplish it. It's just one of the effects that is part of Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki's "Blendo Ropes" in The Wizards' Journal #16, but that one effect gets the audience to believe the other penetrations that happen in the routine.

Jim: from your description, this sounds like a bit that Karl Fulves published in his "Self Working Table Magic" He attributes the handling to Jack Avis whose source was "The Phoenix" (egad! that's a long time ago!) It's also published in Stewart James' booklet on "Sefalalgia". I first saw it done by a magician in California about ten years ago, and it knocked my socks off!

Stewart's handling could be done in a stand up situation. Fulves' version was done on a table top. AND, YOU ARE RIGHT~ NO BOX IS NEEDED!

I always have a length of rope that matches my longest nitemare rope in the prop case. If I need a few minutes, I just grab the ropes, a few silks, and I can do the Cords of Fantasia.

How good is this today??? Well, Harry Blackstone JR. was doing it for several years before he died. We were both on a benefit show and Harry followed me with it!
John Calvert is doing it today. Harry used and John and I use the old DANTE "LAZY MAGICIAN" idea.

The effect is visual and versatile, The prop is visible. The effect is angle proof. There is no set up, and no table needed. The props are easily recognizable, and pack small, and play big. The effect is relatively spot adaptable. WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ASK FOR?????

And, YOU ARE RIGHT! NO BOX IS NEEDED!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 17:17, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 09:39, jimgerrish wrote:

Jim: from your description, this sounds like a bit that Karl Fulves published in his "Self Working Table Magic" He attributes the handling to Jack Avis whose source was "The Phoenix" (egad! that's a long time ago!) It's also published in Stewart James' booklet on "Sefalalgia". I first saw it done by a magician in California about ten years ago, and it knocked my socks off!

Stewart's handling could be done in a stand up situation. Fulves' version was done on a table top. AND, YOU ARE RIGHT~ NO BOX IS NEEDED!

I always have a length of rope that matches my longest nitemare rope in the prop case. If I need a few minutes, I just grab the ropes, a few silks, and I can do the Cords of Fantasia.

How good is this today??? Well, Harry Blackstone JR. was doing it for several years before he died. We were both on a benefit show and Harry followed me with it!
John Calvert is doing it today. Harry used and John and I use the old DANTE "LAZY MAGICIAN" idea.

The effect is visual and versatile, The prop is visible. The effect is angle proof. There is no set up, and no table needed. The props are easily recognizable, and pack small, and play big. The effect is relatively spot adaptable. WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ASK FOR?????

And, YOU ARE RIGHT! NO BOX IS NEEDED!!!

If it wasn't for boxes, a LOT of Magicians would be out of business.....my point here being that SOMETIMES a box adds to an effect....even a ROPE effect.

Many years ago, Neil Foster made a feature presentation out of one of my favorite tricks.....Abbott's Cube-On Release...in his hands....it was an outstanding piece of stage magic as a very mystifying rope penetration.

I know that Abbott's still carries this as I specifically talked to Greg Bordner about the trick....and I, personally, would recommend this trick for stage or platform as I have always had great results and reactions from doing it and have even had people come up to me years after seeing my show and they specifically asked me about this tric...THAT"S SAYING SOMETHING!

Here's a link to the trick with a demo of it by Tim Wright.

In my opinion, this is one of "The Sleepers" of The Abbott Magic Company......

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Cube-......oryId=-1
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I'm not sure what you are discussing, but the effect I was referring to is based on Paul Curry's "Linked" which indeed can be found in the Stewart James Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks (P.393). In 2008, Qua-Fiki was just getting started and based his Blendo Ropes on a lot of effects he had been reading about in various rope magic books we have in the Wiz Kid Library (he cites all his sources in his e-Book), but then he went on to create some original effects for that routine which got him his first mention in the Brief Biographies of Magic Inventors ( http://magicnook.com/forum/bioQRS.htm ). I thought it might be a fluke until he kept coming up with new ideas every time we had a brainstorming session in the Wiz Kids, and later all on his own. Next year he begins Culinary Arts School, and may attend college after that, so we'll see if his output continues or dwindles away as he gets more involved in life outside of magic.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Jimgerrish:

Sorry for the confusion....I was merely trying to quote what Dick Oslund said, and in particular, point out that maybe using a box for a rope presentation "ain't such a bad thing" A LA my reference to Abbott's Cube-On Release, which I think is a great trick and offer to Caféinst who started this thread as an alternative to him to possibly consider for a rope penetration.

Anyone who has had the distinct pleasure of seeing the late Neil Foster perform this trick will know what I mean.

Dick's a friend, and I always listen to his sage advice............if I know him...I think he would agree with me about this trick being "special". Yes, it's a prop....and a nice one at that.

So is my Dean's Box trick, and that's pretty darned special, too.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Jef Eaton (Kandu Magic) has an effect called "Ropes Through Girl" which is nice...and can be played for some great laughs as well.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
DVD hUNG up On Ropes , the rope magic of Ronald Dayton, vailable From leaping Lizards has several penetration effects.
R0pe thru nec, thru leg, thru body. Each using an ungimmicked examinable length of rope.

Kotah
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Best rope penetration effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL