The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How to end "PB&J" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Hey all! I've been doing PB & J for a few shows already and kids just love it! My routine of switching the peanut butter and jelly has lots of funny stuff in it and they're always laughing. The problem is, my ending is a dud. I just say, "I'm so confused. I think I'll make my sandwich later." No reaction. Nothing. "OK...moving on!"

How do you end it? I don't really want to make the sandwich there just because it's dead time while I make it. Nothing HAPPENS and I can see it boring. Plus, I had to take out the PB-holding plastic from the "jar" in order to fit the jelly beneath it.

I'm in need of help! Smile
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Bruce Bray has a great routine.

The PB&J has been talked about several times on this board.

In my routine I am playing the PB& J as a look NO see type trick. When they switch I don't see but the kids do. They scream at me and say it switches but when I pull the cover up they have switched and act like the kids are trying to trick me. After do the switches several times I have the kids wiggle their fingers and say the magic words and then I see that they have switched.

So what it looks like to me is that I am letting the kids be the one that makes the PB&J switch

It really is some neat magic for everyone.

Enjoy
Ken
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
What is this Bruce Bay routine? Where is it located?
Dennis Michael
A C Spectre
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
75 Posts

Profile of A C Spectre
I've not heard of the Bruce Bray Routine, but if someone can tell me where to find it I would like to check it out. I have a routine that I have been using for a while now that seems to play fairly well. I ask the kids if they know how to make a PB&J sandwich and have them talk me through all the things we'll need. Bread - check, PB - check, Jelly - check, knife - OOPS no knife. We'll just have to use my magic lunch bag (change bag). Bring an assistant up to help and have them hold the lunch bag. First for the bread, I use one slice cut in half, it goes into the lunch bag. I have shown the peanut butter and the jelly on two separate side tables and have put the black covers back on. I now ask the assistant to tell me what's next and to point to where it was. Whatever they pick and point to turns out to be the opposite as you make the first switch. I play out the switching back and forth until the little ones are sufficiently riled. Then I ask for the help of all the kids. If they can come up with the right magic word said with enough feeling perhaps we can cause the PB and J to pass thru the magic lunch bag and magically make us a sandwich.
A look of worry now crosses my face and I announce that this may get somewhat messy for the assistant. No problem, I pull out a large rain poncho and dilapidated umbrella that I have custom "stained" with some tan and purple paint. I take the magic lunch bag from the assistant while they get into the getup and effect the magic in it. Once they're set I hand bag the bag and make a big show about "taking cover" so I don't get splattered. I count to three and all the kids scream out their magic word while I duck. Once it is determined that the coast is clear I have the assistant reach into the magic lunch bag and pull out the sandwich, which if they want it I give to them or I proceed to eat.
I want to add a little to this and if anyone here can help I would appreciate it. I remember seeing some condiment squeeze bottles that squirt a length of string. I am trying to find two of these and fill one with brown string and the other with purple and squirt them both at the assistant when I'm hiding behind my table. If anyone knows where I can get a prop like this please post a reply or PM me.
The only other consideration with this trick is making sure that there are no kids with peanut allergies in attendance at the party. In cases like this or if I'm not sure about allergies I have a sponge sandwich I use. This works OK, but I have found it plays a little better if the assistant or myself actually eats a real sandwich.

Smile
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Maybe Andy Walker can find this.

Ken
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
Quote:
On 2003-12-10 10:09, DenDowhy wrote:
What is this Bruce Bay routine? Where is it located?

A write-up of Look-Don't-See, with Bruce Bray's PB&J routine to illustrate:

http://www.sillybillymagic.com/columnslookdontsee.htm
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Andini

There are at least two versions of BP & J out there. The soft rubber covered ones are the ones we sell in a shop that I work at. They differ greatly from the ones I use and have used for many years.

When I demonstrate the “soft cover” ones in the shop, I hate them. Here’s why:
People (kids and parents see the squeezing and it is hard to finish clean. By that I mean nothing left on the table.

The set I use for shows has hard covers with holes, as do the PB jars have holes, so I can control what lifts off the table, including everything.

To answer your question of, “How do you end it?” I do this:

At the start, I have a child come up to my table and hold a changing bag. I have another child put two slices of bread into a zip lock bag and close it. I have a third child drop the baged slices into the changing bag. I now have another child come up and hold the changing bag by the handle just the way the first child did. (My moving the changing bag from child to child is all the time I need to do the deed.) This also helps involve lots of kids. I even had two children each insert one of the slices a few times. Never under estimate the value of involving as many kids as you can in a show.

Now after the short routine, I lift everything and put the covers behind my table/case and immediately say, “Where is the PB and Jelly” I then ask the child holding (what they think is the two slices of bread) to reach inside the changing bag. They take out a finished sandwich (inside the zip lock bag.)

Note: I have found it is hassle free to ask a birthday mom or teacher to make the sandwich out of site before I start. It gets them involved and help them feel better latter if a child wants to eat the sandwich.

Hope this give you some ideas.

Bob
PS. If, Andini, is your “stage” name, I think it’s great

Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I always make the trick centered around trying to make a PB and J but you forget how to. You get a kid up to be the master PB and J chef to help you learn how to make a good one. Of course the kids gets all dressed up in a chef costume bag and helps you along.

You show a bag with two pieces of bread inside. This goes back inside the bag and the child holds it while the PB and J switch.

The ending of the effect is that the pieces of bread that the child was holding onto at the start has now formed a PB and J sandwich and the two regular pieces he had in the bag are gone.

This is a very strong closer and never fails to get lots of laughs and a big wow factor at the end.

Give it a try.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11960 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have used Wellington's routine and it works wonderfully with the change bag.

My school show Friday, I tried a new idea. I did a transposition with the containers across the room from one another. I ran (high energy show) between the jars and the kids loved it.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
I think the best ending is making the sandwich, it gets tons of gasps from both kids and adults, I ussually have the child come up, hand them the bag of bread and ask the child to take out 2 slices and 2 slices its a free choice(gets a laugh)then I take the slices (I am holding a brown paper lunch bag that already has the sandwich in it)I ask the child to twist the bag up so the bread doesn't go stale, while they do they I put both slices into the bag and squish them into a ball real fast, then palm them, I take the bread back and have the child hold the paper bag and ask him to fold the top over while I put the bread away(and ditch the palmed bread)
I then have the children yell out the magic words again(oh yea before I had the child come up to help we made the peanut butter and Jelly switch places and peeked under the covers so only I can see then make them switch back........all the kids will go you didn't show us!) so after they yell the words you asked if they saw the peanut butter jump in the air do a backflip, fly into my volunteers ear travel down her body, fly out her belly button thru the bag spin around go back thru the bag in her belly button up her body and out her other ear only to end up wayyyyyyyy over here!(this is all said in a fast manner with pauses after it flies out the belly button) then repeat the opposite way for the jelly! then with out you touching the bag have your volunteer open the bag and take the sandwich out(if you have done a good job the volunteer wont even realize you have made a sandwich until you have them pull the bread apart and show everyone whats in between!
it gets a great reaction! I have found you get a much bigger reaction if the peanut butter and Jelly are on 2 total different tables instead of being right next to each other!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Uurrgh, The thought of peanut butter and jam in the same sandwich makes my stomach turn. It sounds like one of those weard cravings my wife had when she was pregnant.

Just out of interest what flavour jam goes best with peanut butter..
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Peanut butter sandwichs and Jam sandwichs on their own are disgusting! UKKK!

Matt
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
Peanut Butter and Jelly is a very common sandwich for kids in the U.S. I like to add bananas to it. I think Grape or Strawberry are the best flavors with it.---cheers!---Jimeuax
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Millions of kids suffering from phantom pregnantes, the mind boggles. Smile
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
I suppose it's an aquired taste. Much like kidney pie,haggis, Kippers for breakfast,or devils on horseback
Makes a peanut butter and jelly sandwich seem tame by comparision.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I suppose peanut butter and marshmallow fluff will just send some people right off the edge then, huh?

:wow:
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
edcathome
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of edcathome
The way I end the effect is as follows: I introduce a brown paper shopping bag. Unbeknownst to the audience, the bag has the back of a similar bag taped inside the back of the bag. In essence, I have created a pocket. Inside that pocket is a ziplock bag with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich inside of it. There are two peices of bread at the bottom of the bag. I call a child up and open the bag, holding the false back against the real back of the bag. When the child looks into the bag, all he or she sees are the two peices of bread. I then place the bag standing up between the two cannisters. Then, the next time the penaut butter and jelly have switched places, I tell the audience that some of the peanut butter and some of the jelly didn't make the entire trip, but instead made its way into the bag between the cannisters. Then, I tell the child that we will have to look inside the bag to see what happened. However, this time I reach into the open zip lock bag located between the false back of the bag and the rear of the bag and pull out the sandwich. It works well and eliminates the need to make a sandwich in front of the audience.
Peter C.
Member SAM 4
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I always end PB and J with the kids standing in the middle holding the bag the entire routine. That child is the security guard of the bread. It is his or her job and duty to make sure nothing happens to the bread.

With this in mind, I give the child a police hat to wear and a deputy badge to put on. The badge they keep as a souvenir. It is their job to guard the bread.

Well in the end the P and the J do switch places. But I act very surprised by the ending as if I remembered soemthing. Uh Oh.. Guess who was standing in the middle when the P and the J switched and collided in mid air.. My wife and I both look down at the kid. OOOPS we say.

OH NO!!!! We ask the kid if he or she felt anything. Well we must check to see if the kid has p or J in his or her ears., PHEW nothing there. Oh biy what about the bread.

We check the bread and have the child remove the bread. The child pulls the bread part to show it is a REAL PB and J sandwich. This brings the applause to the child and not to us. It is because of him or her that the magic happened.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

rxwookie
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
59 Posts

Profile of rxwookie
Sandwich production comparisons (In My Humble Opinion)...

Note: If you are using a double-walled bag (or) change bag... You can always wrap up the sandwich in saran wrap. Then you just put the clean slices in saran wrap and put them inside.

Change Bag (with saran wrap) - 8/10
Pro's: You can show it empty (and un-zipped for some styles) at the beginning and end.
Con's: Kids can't hold the bag (unless you have the expensive twisting handle style), cost

Double-Walled Bag (with saran wrap)- 8/10
Pro's: You can show it empty at beginning. You tear it open at the end.
Con's: You ruin a bag each time & it is hard to fit the slices in the bag. Also it doesn't look as clean at the end. (IMHO)

Normal Bag, Leave slices in, Crumple bag up and throw it behind you - 6/10
Pro's: Clean look
Con's: Kids can't hold bag or even see it at the end

Normal Bag, Palming - 7/10 (one slice), 6.5/10 (two slices)
Pro's: Cleaner look as kids can hold bag and the "change" occurs in their hands
Con's: Requires timing and has the potential to ruin the trick if you don't palm it correctly and completely.

No Production at the End - 6/10
Pro's: No fooling with sandwich.
Con's: Illusion is a bit weaker in the end because there is no unexpected "ending". This is a source of contention amongst many and represents my humble opinion.

If you combine the final effect (of the sandwich) with the excellent patter of look-don't-see... you get an amazing illusion. I run the look-don't-see effect until the audience is in a frenzy. Then I explain that the only way it could happen is with magic. I slowly lift the covers to show nothing... look surprised and repeat the motion showing them changed. At this point I could bow and have a wonderful effect, but I continue on showing the sandwich being made.

I guess it just depends on your tastes.
Hope this helps,

Wook
If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a sucess unexpected in common hours.
~Henry David Thoreau
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Got to have strawberry jam with a PB and J. YUMMY. Grew up on it as a kid. I also never give the kids the sandwhich ever. I keep for myself and give the child soemthing they enjoy more like a magic wand or a certificate.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How to end "PB&J" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL