The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Safety Presentation Ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Hey Ya'll

I am currently attending the aviation safety officer course down in Fort Rucker Alabama. As the safety officer for my battalion it is a requirement. Anyhow, I am looking for some presentation ideas on safety. They don't have to be aviation related, though better if they were. Just looking for some general ideas to apply to current magic principals. Like using the professors nightmare, or a cardiograph, or cut and restored, or....ECT. I don't have any of my large props with me, and they have all seen my AGT performances so the bar was set pretty high. Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Scott
krille
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of krille
Hey,

Do you own a head chopper? You could come up with some funny pattern around it.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I do, but it's only a 6 week course so if I couldn't fit it in my luggage it didn't come with me.
chrisontour
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of chrisontour
Perhaps you could you fashion a spike under paper cup / glass shards under paper bag routine similar to shattered?
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Thanks for the routine suggestions, but I am really looking for safety ideas a far as presentations. Like story lines or plots.
krille
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of krille
How about something like the importance of checking the luggage for dangerous items and then producing some items from something.

You could talk about the necessity of carrying parachute abord and what you do if you do not have one. Present four silks and make them into one large silk (the parachute).
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would like to suggest you post your request in "Little Darlings" section of the Café. There are several sources for special magic being presented to children on safety. I am sure they will be able to supply you with a number of resources to get you started.

David Ginn and Samuel Patrick Smith are two who have followed this type of show. I can't think of any of the others but there are several. Even though they are for children in school and libraries, they can be reworded to your audience if it is not children.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Great, I will do that!! Thanks Bill!!!!!
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Odds are it's a stupid idea, but how about something with ropes? Maybe along the lines of a cut and restored rope. Talk about how important it is to have a long lenth of rope, you can do more with it,such as rapale down a cliff or something.. Or perhaps making sure to use the right knot to secure items. Maybe go all out and do a bullet catch...just kidding.
Best of luck to you.
Bob.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I used to do a safety magic show in schools about 20+ years ago. I'll try to remember some of my other routines, but one that I recall was a variation on the "Applause Sign" effect, but instead of reading "Applause Please", "Thank you" and "Both of You" my card and graphics were "Stop", "Drop" and "Roll". This would work well for any three-point safety topic.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
I use the old EXIT sign gag since years as my ice-breaker in the beginning of my show. A white square pannel with a green arrow on each side explaining the emergency exits to use in case if needed.

Everytime you turn the pannel the arrow shows in a different direction (left or right). The thing get funny with an arrow showing down for the audience sitting in the middle near the center alley where I'll go along later in the show searching for a vic... sorry volunteer. They should stay seated while the the others will leave the room in case of emergency. 'Cause if they would stand up people from the left would go to the right and ... The faster you turn the pannel the funnier for the audience.

The plot is simple and funny.

At the end you flip one half over the other and the audience sees a fire truck and when you turn the whole pannel again the audience can read the word "applaus".

Well, just a suggestion. You might not like it, since it's not an effect, trick or routine but just a gag.

Otherwise I would follow Bill's suggestion in looking in the "Our little darlings" section of the café. I've used the Strosphere Trick explaining the traffic light in kids show.

Good luck in your research Scott,

Oliver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Safety Presentation Ideas? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL