The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » ITS by Sean Bogunia (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
wardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of wardmagic
Any reviews or knowledge of the new release by Sean Bogunia ITS? Saw the video demo and it looks great!!! Any word on downsides or upsides??
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
139 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
So far I haven't had much luck with it. It's a great idea, but the thread is constantly either breaking or getting stuck on the spool, in fact I'm having a hard time understanding how people can possibly use this as a reliable prop. Though it's said to be for invisible thread, but they actually encourage using thicker thread, which isn't excactly an option for some of us. I'm almost at the point of giving up on it. Many people apparently like it so there must be ways to get it to work better, but so far I haven't had much luck. Anyone have any suggestions?
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I am very surprised to hear of this. Anybody else have any experience with ITS?

Regards,
Mike
John
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of John
Any reviews on this or experience with it?
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
139 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Some people have asked me recently if I ever was able to make it work. I'm happy to say that after many months of trial and error I finally perfected it. There were countless times that I basically gave up, it was very frustrating. I contacted Sean Bogunia quite a few times- so much that I became embarrassed. He always responded, and was quite friendly. But most of his advice didn't really help very much. To keep the thread from getting caught, he suggested not using too much of it, but this didn't really help.

But overtime there were some things I discovered that did help significantly. The most frustrating problem is probably when the string breaks, which at first was happening a lot. But eventually I realized that the key to keeping it from breaking is to tie the handkerchief to the string, and not the string to the handkerchief. This way it can slightly slide a little when it makes a sudden stop- the most common time for it to break for me was when it flew into the bottle and hit the bottom. To keep the string from getting stuck, I discovered that the main key is to avoid going back and forth too rapidly.

There were various other problems that came up, including the motors and spools. It seems that they tend to get so that friction gets produced more easily, different spools seem to behave a bit differently even though they look the same. Sometimes there got to be too much friction and I couldn't get the motor to pull the handkerchief in and out of the bottle. I found that the main key is to simply stick with the same ones, although they do have to be replaced at least once in a while.

Probably the main thing that made me interested in this is the fact that you can program many minutes of exact moves. I'm usually a solo performer, so this made it very appealing. It's very unique and amazing what it's capable of doing. The fact that it controls two motors to do the same things each time at just the right speeds is really incredible, especially when you synchronize it to music. It creates an amazing feeling like nothing I've ever done before. However it's not always as precise as I had been hoping, but it's still quite good (my original expectations were probably almost impossible). Unfortunately the entire sequence of moves has to be programmed all at once from start to finish, you can pause it while programming it, but if you do a move wrong, you have to start all over again. As a result, it took countless tries to get the whole routine programmed right, and some of it wasn't quite as good as I had been hoping, but it has been fairly reliable.

One minor thing that I was disappointed about is that the motors make a significant noise. However as long as you have music playing, it doesn't really matter.

I thought that the directions were a bit lacking, especially in how to set things up for a stage show. But eventually I came up with my own setup.

To sum things up, it was countless hours of frustration, trial and error. However it probably wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I had known these points ahead of time. If others are interested in it, I hope that these points will be helpful. It's only been just over a month since I finally perfected it, so it's a little hard to say it with certainty yet, but I'd say that it was probably well worth it. It's one of the main parts of my act that people are really talking about. My uncle acts like it's about the greatest act I've ever done, and he's been watching me perform since 1997. So for anyone who's willing to go through some trial and error, (hopefully less than me), then I would recommend it.

One other item I should mention. For anybody who's not familiar with using invisible thread on stage, be warned, keeping it from being visible turned out to be much harder than I expected. On one of his videos, Sean said something about that all you have to be cautious about with this type of thread is overhead fluorescent lights. I don't know what he was thinking when he said this, but he couldn't have been more wrong, unless I totally misunderstood what he said. And I learned this the hard way. The first time I attempted to perform this act was in a school auditorium. There were no overhead lights, just spotlights in front of me, so I thought that I was safe. But the so called "invisible thread" was very clearly visible, countless kids were shouting out that it's a string. This was one of the most embarrassing moments I've ever had. Since then, I always check ahead of time from every direction to make sure that it's not visible, there are many times when it's not visible from one direction, but well visible from another. Sometimes it's easy to keep the string from being visible, while other times it's impossible. This summer I'm performing each week at 4 Christian camps. Conditions are different at each place. In one of them, keeping the string from being visible has been easy, I just need to make sure that that the spotlights aren't turned up too high. In another one, it's possible but can be hard, it's been a bit of a challenge getting the lighting just right for it, but it does work. In another place it had been impossible to do it with any of the spotlights on, it had to be relatively dark on stage (it was mostly just the auditorium lights that were left on). But I ended up purchasing a nu-lash backdrop. This helped quite a bit here, now I'm able to have the lights up and it looks great. Unfortunately this stuff doesn't seem to help much at any of the other places, and I'm having a hard time figuring out why, I've still got a lot to learn. At the forth place that I perform, I can't get the string to be invisible no matter what I do. Even with the nu-lash, and with spotlights off, it's still visible, so I'm not able to do it there.

Anyways, for anybody who's considering this act, I hope this helps you. I went through a lot of hassle to perfect this act, so if I can help others to avoid this hassle, that will make me happy.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
435 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Thanks for your info JB. I think I'll pass on this trick.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
139 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
If anyone would like to see the act I developed, it's now on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Io8UdeyfZo
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, JBiesecker wrote:
If anyone would like to see the act I developed, it's now on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Io8UdeyfZo

Great Job!!!
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
139 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Thanks.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
OMG! That was beautiful! Yep! You got that down! Thanks for sharing that! Smile

Doug
Shagbeard
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Shagbeard
Wow.... Dude... You rock
Magic speaks to the child in all of us. No matter how sophisticated we become, there's still a part of us who wants to believe in an alternative reality, where we can defy the laws of nature.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
139 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Thanks a lot. The act was a nightmare to develope. It's good to know that other magicians like it.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
WOW---like it? Are you kidding? I love your act! You did an absolutely fantastic job! Thank you for sharing this, along with your experiences. You are a prime example of magicians helping magicians. Again, thank you so very much!

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Oct 12, 2014, JBiesecker wrote:
Thanks a lot. The act was a nightmare to develope. It's good to know that other magicians like it.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
139 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Your very welcome.

One other thing I learned recently that I think others need to know is something involving "Vectra X2" invisible thread which is considered very good and very strong. I discovered recently that this stuff is actually the exact same thing as the "Super Strong Invisible thread" sold by Sean Bogunia which is what I use for the act. He sells it for just $7.00 which is far less than the vectra X2. I talked a little more about it on this post http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=55
precious
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of precious
Your performance of the Dancing Handkerchief is awesome. Magical! Superb!
The Dancing Handkerchief has been my absolute favourite (Canadian spelling) magic effect since I first saw it performed by Harry Blackstone, Sr., 71 years ago. I must congratulate and thank you, JBiesecker, for performing and sharing your awesome routine. You have inspired me to get back to work on my ITS. At age 90, I still love magic as much as when I started 83 years ago - I still love to be fooled, still love to fool others, to entertain and amaze, I love to learn, love to practice, love getting together with other magicians to exchange secrets and experience. Ours is a great lifetime stimulation.
Again, congratulations for this excellent presentation which you have mastered, and for sharing your ideas and difficulties with us.
Gordon Precious, Toronto.
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
You have much more patience then most magicians. I finally gave up on most thread tricks due to unavoidable lighting problems and breakage. For awhile, I use to bring my own side spots with a softening diffusing filter. Kill the house lights and avoid any type of overhead lighting. To me all that work wasn't worth it. I admire your tenacity and you should be proud of your accomplishments. Good luck in the future!!!
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
139 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Thanks. Believe me, the lighting has been a nightmare for me too, and often it just doesn't work. However I perform in churches a lot, and to my surprize, it seems that many of them have lighting that works well for it. However recently I had an absolute disaster in which the lighting was good when I tested it. But someone must have turned it up some before I started, and I was unaware of it until starting the trick. The string was actually visible to the audience. This was very alarming and frustrating. I still plan to continue though, I've got to make sure they leave it as is.
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
JB -- Bravo ! I just watched the video, from the you Tube you gave us - wow! Visually Excellent, and very well handled. I'm going to have to dial up a Bogunia hank and routine. This packs a lot of fun --- thanks.

-Chris
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Hey - as a starter routine, if I'm planning to get Bogunia's Hank routine for Kid Shows, which one is best to start with? I'm not experienced enough to know if the "thread" models are too complex (both for me, and the closely seated audience). The pros + cons of each are welcome! Thanks for helping Smile)
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
581 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I just saw your video. That is amazing! I'm just getting started with Deck TR which will do what I have in mind, but the ITS is incredible.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » ITS by Sean Bogunia (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL