The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Get Bent DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anyone have it? It's a folded card to impossible location DVD. Hocus-Pocus has it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Holy smokes that was fast - I just sent them out this weekend. This is my new DVD on the folded card revelation.

From the first time I experienced this revelation I fell in love with it and the effect it has on spectators. Over the years I learned the classics, as well as putting together a number of my own routines. I put some in my lecture notes and others I just kept for myself. If you're like me, once you have a sleight down (in this case, folding a card), it's the routining that becomes necessary.

The first routine on the DVD is how I vanish a signed card (Darrin Cook here at the Café has spoken highly of this routine) - in a routine called Tri-Flection. I then have seven routines where the card ends up folded and in an impossible location.

As a bonus, I've also included my signed bill routine I do in walk-around. This is a two-phase routine which starts with my coin routine "3 Across the Fly" - this is taught on the DVD also.

My web page will be up and running after this weekend, but until then, you can purchase it just about anywhere, I expect, since I put it out through Murphy's.

Any questions, please email me.

Doug Brewer
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thanks Doug!! What will your web page be? We always like to support the creator on projects.

Chris

Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Boy, this one took me by surprise, and what a pleasant surprise! Ever since I got Doug's notes "High Impact Coin Magic," I've really enjoyed his material. I ordered this DVD as soon as I saw it. (I'll post a review when I've had the chance to look it over.)

Doug is right; his routine "Tri-Flection" is a great one that I do every night I perform. In a PM, Doug was generous enough to tip the vanish to me, which takes the routine a step forward. (Note, it is a quick, highly visual, high impact card routine without gaffs, and no reset.)

I won't go on at length before I've seen the DVD, but from what I've seen of Doug's material (I have his notes, book, and lecture video.), he is a worker who comes up with very practical material.

I just got "Get Bent" and have watched it a couple of times. The video is well-shot, though a little shadowy in the back, but all the instruction is very clear. The graphics are top-notch. The DVD was filmed with a magic buddy of Doug's, so you won't get any real audience reaction shots. But the bottom line is that you'll learn from the DVD.

The video gets off to a great start with "Tri-Flection," a quick, highly visual routine. Doug points out that in most card-to-impossible-location effects, the vanish is inferred by the audience. In other words, since the card is not in the deck, it must have vanished. In "Tri-Flection" a card vanishes from a small packet. The beauty of this is that in the card-to-wallet effect, for example, many magicians try to control, palm, and load a card while the spectators are burning their hands. "Tri-Flection" creates an off-beat moment of relaxation: the card has been produced and vanished, creating a feeling that the effect is over, and that moment of relaxtion is an opportunity to steal away the card.

Next he covers a variety of folded card to impossible location routines, and has some great work on the Kennedy card-to-box gaff. (I agree, a box is designed to hold something. I don't think it's a good idea to produce an empty box.) Doug offers full routines for the mystery box, not just, "Hey, it's gone, look in the box." The card to credit card wallet is well done, and has got me looking for the props. Although many of the routines may seem similar, the purpose is to give you a variety of options, and allow you to choose the location that suits your abilities and interests the best.

Doug teaches the Mercury/Scarne fold, and the six-section fold. I think he should have taught the top palm as well, but he does refer to sources where one can learn it. Bits are provided to help you misdirect attention for the folding and loading of the card, and he suggests ways to get into the folded revelation routine for those who are new to it.

In the coin and signed bill routine, Doug really "sings." It's a fooler, and I think it's the most magical routine on the DVD. It's one I'll be working on. (It's billed as "3 Across the Fly," but it's not the same routine that appears in the book; however, I certainly wasn't disappointed.)

(Other sources: I recommend Steve Bedwell's Convincing Control Fold from the "Secret Sessions"tapes. Jay Sankey's "Paperclipped" is a great revelation, and provides many practical tips for the Mercury/Scarne fold. Flicking Fingers "The Book" has a great card to matchbox routine, and I have one too, in my book "As the Crow Flies." My routine combining the coin finds the card and mystery box routines will be in Scott Guinn's next book, "With a Little Help from My Friends." Michael Ammar also has a unique fold and card-to matchbook routine in one set of his lecture notes.) Of course, this is the point of the whole DVD, to provide the results of a lot of research and experience in the folded card revelation.

For those who are new to this field, I think the DVD is a valuable resource. For those who are more familiar with this theme, the DVD offers food for thought. As I watched the routines ideas kept occurring to me. And if you don't do "Tri-Flection," it's one you'll want to add to your repertoire.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I ordered "Get Bent" two days ago based upon Darrin Cook's recommendation alone. I can't wait to get this DVD and THEN decide if I can really dispense with that darn Mercury fold.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2003-12-15 01:31, Turk wrote:
I ordered "Get Bent" two days ago based upon Darrin Cook's recommendation alone. I can' wait to get this DVD and THEN decide if I can really dispense with that darn Mercury fold.

Mike

But the DVD uses the Mercury Card Fold, right?

doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
The routines use the Mercury Fold and the 6-way Fold.

I prefer the 6-way fold, so the majority of the routines go that way.

Doug
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
No problem. I don't mind learning the Mercury Fold; I just misunderstood the promo for this DVD and thought that Doug had a fold that was better than the Mercury Fold and could be used in lieu thereof. (That's lawyer talk for "instead of").

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
130 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
I just finished watching this DVD and am pleased to report that it contains lots of good material for magicians from the intermediate to advanced levels. For my money, there are two types of persons to whom this DVD will primarily appeal.

The first group is magicians who are unfamiliar with card folding techniques and basic effects using them. Doug does not teach all of the folds out there, but he does teach the two "primary" ones from which most variations spawn. Those are the two in Hugard & Braue's Expert Card Technique, and Doug does a fine job. This is especially important if you're the kind of person who has trouble learning sleight of hand techniques from a book. Doug also teaches several routines that use these folds in a basic way. The card in matchbook is a fairly direct version that in terms of raw technique resembles the old Ammar "Yeast Card" trick, and is a GREAT way to do this type of effect in an impromptu situation at a restaurant or bar. There also are routines with matchbooks, coin purses and wallets, which have their own strengthes and weaknesses.

There are also routines that more advanced magicians may find appealing. The ones that most intrigued me and which I am most likely to try sometime are those that use John Kennedy's Mystery Box in a way that goes beyond the basic Bruno Hennig/Fred Kaps presentation. One routine ("Technicolor Mystery") is particularly clever because it combines the card in box with the Dream Card effect -- thereby leaving the spectators with an extradorinary number of methodological problems to digest.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I don't have this dvd yet, but I'm thinking very highly of getting it.
It's either going to be this dvd or heavy hitters next. Smile
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
My web page is finally up now. Very straight-forward but it does the job. You can find everything at http://www.dougbrewermagic.com

If you have any questions about any of the products please let me know.

Doug
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
PLEASE order from Doug direct. I just got his Lecture Notes Video from him and will review it in another post. But, he is such a gentlemen to deal with. He sent this video so quick, I'd swear he was Santa himself.

Chris

doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
For those of you interested, online-visions just put up a review. Here's the link: http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0409getbent.html
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thsi is a wonderful DVD. Lotsa great surprises!!!

ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
259 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
I recommend ANYTHING from Doug Brewer,especially his Book, and Lecture Video...good stuff all the way around

Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I'm now using card to matchbox with the 6 way card fold because of this DVD. It is excellent! I highly recommend this DVD as I was looking for a folded card to impossible location for walk-around and now I'm all set. This DVD exceeded my expectations.

If you don't like the card to matchbox, then there's a bunch of other options.

Tri-flection rocks as well. It's on my list of to learn effects at about #2 right now.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
By the way, it's possible to do card to matchbox with the 6 way fold. I find that I can get a tighter and more reliable square shape with this, and, at least in Chicago, one can obtain matchboxes that are a little deeper to hold the larger fold. The match boxes are Diamond branded.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Get Bent DVD (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL