The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Where do I get a quality wand that won't break the bank? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I'm looking to get a nice wand for my cups and balls set, but I'm having trouble finding wands I like that aren't over a hundred dollars. Any suggestions? I want something that looks classy.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Call a propmaker and let him make you a custom one.
You have the advantage that it's one of a kind and custom made to suit your style.
and it usually won't break the bank.
You also have full control over the process.
I had one specially made for my character.
Hope this helps.
Greetings,
Cirrus
manananmaclir
View Profile
New user
Port Hadlock
60 Posts

Profile of manananmaclir
How would you go about locating a propmaker?
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
MagicJuggler, here's a cheap and high quality close-up wand for you: http://lukascrafts.com/shop/goods/goods_......gory=001

RJH
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 09:27, manananmaclir wrote:
How would you go about locating a propmaker?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=propmaker
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Going to a propmaker for a wand is about as sensible as going to Ferrari or Bugatti to have a go-kart made.

Most propmakers will charge you a lot more for a wand than a magic shop will. As far as there being an advantage to having a wand custom made, that's debatable.

Unfortunately, some of the better wand makers are no longer with us. Tabby Crabb has departed, as has Ray Witkowski. But you can certainly get a decent wand at most of the mail order houses. A quick perusal of Hocus Pocus Magic's web site showed a dozen or so that were less than $100.00. There are even some handmade wands that are less than $20.00 that you might find useful.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I only break out my Crabb/Witkowski weighted tip wand for special occasions. Donnie at Rings n Things has some nice ones. The wooden ones won't break the bank, nor will they hurt your cups.

http://www.rnt2.com/wands/

I have the standard Mahogany wand and am quite pleased with it. It's not really heavy enough for wand spins and flourishes but it looks and works great.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Many use a drumstick. I sometimes us an antique Opium Pipe and a dowel with 38 calibre brass bullet shells on the ends. Charlie Miller often used the white cardboard tube off of coat hangars. None of the above cost much.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5198 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
When in doubt, use the LotaBowl.com magic search engine. It's, well...magical...
http://www.lotabowl.com/1/search-new3.php?page=1
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
400 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I have one of Michael Ammar's wands. It's a nice wand that's classy and won't break your wallet...
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Matthew,

I have the solution for your wand needs. It is Michael Myatt of Moonlight magic. He can make any type of magic wand to suit your needs i.e. metal tipped wooden wands, all wood, wood with acrylic tips, etc. Michael has made wands for some of the best in our business such as Jeff McBride, Steve Dacri, Martin Lewis, Oscar Munoz, Chad Long, and Michael Finney, just to name a few.

He is very reasonable and great to work with. Here is his website; http://moonlightmagic.moonfruit.com/#

I have nine of his beautiful wands.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Here is another example of Moonlight Magic's work. Check out the wand in this picture of cups and balls; http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

You can PM Michael on Magic Café here; wandmgc8

David
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I got mine from Penguin magic and beat the hell out of it. Must have dropped it a thousand time perfecting the vernon wand spin and the drummer's spin among others. And it still looks great. Under $20.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/537
check it out when its back in stock.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I was thinking about getting that wand, but it's out of stock at the moment.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of seraph127
The Mikame Craft wand is nice-looking and reasonably-priced. Here is one source.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Be careful about those wands that separate in the middle. I've seen several of them that either did not align correctly or that broke when they got dropped. I used to make some interesting wands from brass rod.

BTW, RnT 2 has some really nice wands.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I had A magic makers wand that separated in the middle. Looked nice and spun great. Couldn't handle the abuse when I was learning to wand spin. That wand from penguin took way more abuse and still performs great.
I have the Mikame craft wand. Good wand. I prefer a heavier wand.
Been thinking about making my own wand. Wood dowels and paint would do the trick. Or stain.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you take a 3/8" diameter brass rod and cut it to 14", you will have a great wand for general purposes.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Hmm. I should give that a try. Wouldn't have to worry about dropping it. How's the weight for wand spins ?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Great! Just remember to wear protective gear while you practice.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Where do I get a quality wand that won't break the bank? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL