The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Inferno - by Joshua Jay (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..23..27..31..35..37~38~39 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Finally played around with this yesterday. I can only echo all the positive posts here. This is a fantastic effect with great props. What makes this so great- the fact that it is so simple and easy to do and yet seems impossible to the spectator. This is one of those effects that all hobbyist and working magicians/mentalists will want to have and use all the time!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
215 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
Just received this and it will be going straight into my strolling set. On a side note, the paper clip supplied put a small rip/tear on the card as I pulled it off. Anyone else experience this?
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I think the paperclip item has been mentioned. I would certainly change it for a plastic coated one.

Steve
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Everything about this effect sounds like something that I want. EXCEPT the inferno card box itself. Does anyone else feel that it would look less gimmicky if it was a simple red box or something like that. I watched the demo and I couldn't help feeling like it came off the shelf like those old snapping gums or turn your teeth blue gags. Am I overthinking it?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-10-09 10:35, paisa23 wrote:
Everything about this effect sounds like something that I want. EXCEPT the inferno card box itself. Does anyone else feel that it would look less gimmicky if it was a simple red box or something like that. I watched the demo and I couldn't help feeling like it came off the shelf like those old snapping gums or turn your teeth blue gags. Am I overthinking it?

Yes- overthinking. I actually love the looks of the matchbox. And at the end it doesn't matter because they can look all they want at both the box and card and find nothing!!! Paisa- get this- you won't be disappointed! This is a true workers effect that can be done anywhere in any situation!!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Put the paperclip on the open ends, not on the folded side, and you will not harm the card(s).
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Thanks RNK I think I just might. Thanks a lot.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
In the UK at least, a matchbox is still a fairly common sight, you can buy 'em in any local newsagents, supermarkets and so on...even in pubs and bars, its just as likely to see a matchbox, than a matchbook...
I've asked to be banned
samdan
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of samdan
Easy enough for hobbyist? i.e. how hard are the sleights for beginners?
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Eeeezy peeezy mate.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Although it's a good trick---it is limited to how many places you can perform for an audiance. Most buliding for insurance reasons you are not allowed to strike a match or even use a lighter.
Even some public place or parks you are not allowed to use fire, again, for public safty and insurance reasons.
Ricky
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
You can always hold the match up and say "I want you to use your imagination, see the match slowly burning down." Once they make their choice, act like to almost burned your fingers. That is the way I would avoid striking a match.

~Steve
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On 2013-10-09 11:55, S-Branham wrote:
You can always hold the match up and say "I want you to use your imagination, see the match slowly burning down." Once they make their choice, act like to almost burned your fingers. That is the way I would avoid striking a match.

~Steve

Steve,

Good idea.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Ya my USPS tracking says it will be here today. Thanks to Penguins fast shipping.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On 2013-10-09 11:55, S-Branham wrote:

~Steve

Now this is thinking. Great Idea.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
You can still have a great effect without lighting matches.

Just pull out three burnt matches.... it's all in the presentation.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2013-10-09 10:35, paisa23 wrote:

Paisa, you can use anything you want. Obviously if you are working a regular gig in a bar or restaurant you would use their matches if they have printed ones available.
You can use a small envelope, a mysterious looking small brass box or tiny urn, a book of paper matches, whatever suits your presentation.
For those that live in small towns then maybe exchanging the Inferno box for a local one would make sense but it all depends on where you want to go with it.
That's one of the nice things about this effect.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2013-10-09 15:39, Tim Hannig wrote:
You can still have a great effect without lighting matches.

Just pull out three burnt matches.... it's all in the presentation.

I like using Steve's suggestion along with the burnt matches.
I believe in most buildings, often lighting a match or lighter is not violating code or regulations, it is more a case of whether the people you are performing for would appreciate you doing that.
Especially in the case of a wooden match, as when it goes out it can produce an amazing amount of smoke for such a tiny flame.
If a match is too much, maybe use a lighter and three small pieces of flashpaper. That would actually produce far less smoke than using matches, and I think the smoke is the real culprit here.
If using a lighter then maybe you should use something other than a matchbox unless you explain it in your presentation.

This trick gives you lots of leeway for coming up with what you suits you best while still maintaining the basic presentation and routine.
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
I replaced my paperclip with a coated one. I too scratched my cards a bit. I have presented with and without matches. They both have very strong reactions due to the outcome. I will try using the paperclip on the open ends as suggested.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
For those that have this in their hands... or matchbox.

Would it make any sense to use/combine "Inferno Card" with this at all?
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......_id=7154

Or would that be overkill, not workable?

Grant it, most places wouldn't let you light this one on fire, so it wouldn't work. I understand that.. But if you can use a lighter/match?

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Inferno - by Joshua Jay (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..23..27..31..35..37~38~39 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL