The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Switching magic coloring book for the blank book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Easiest technique- put it into your inside breast pocket for a second and take out the blank. You can cover it by asking, "Oh! I forgot to ask which one was your favorite picture!" It'll probably get a little chuckle. Or do the same thing behind the back if you're carrying it tucked into the back of your pants touching the small of your back.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Here is how I would switch the large coloring book. Keep it in a briefcase for those times when you get a large group of kids. Bring a stool over to the table along with the briefcase. Put the briefcase on the stool and open it so that the kids can't see inside. Pull out the coloring book and show it blank. Every one says the magic word but it is still blank because they weren't loud enough. They say the magic word and the pictures appear. Now you want them to color it. They each pull a color from their clothing. Who has yellow? Who has Red etc etc. On the count of three throw the pretend colors at the book. Show all the pictures are colored.

At this point you project the idea that the trick is over. Everyone applauds and you go on to the next trick. You have the coloring book in your hand as you fish around in your case for the next trick. Color changing ball to square is a great suggestion some one has already made. When you come away from your case you seem to still have the coloring book in your hand (it is now switched) along with a sponge ball. Close the case and put the coloring book on top of the briefcase. (That way it is in view but not where it will be grabbed). Do the color changing ball to square.

Now suddenly remember that you need to erase the book. Hand the coloring book to one of the kids that seems like he'll follow directions. Ask him if he can say the magic word backwards. When he makes a reasonable attempt have him check the coloring book and show every one that it is completely erased.

Personally I think this type of approach is a lot better than using a special switching device like change bag or some kind of Z fold thing. The idea is that the audience won't remember the coloring book every going out of sight.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Thanks guys! great ideas!

I like the briefcase idea a lot
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
What type of restaurant are you performing in? What is the physical layout like? You need to consider these factors before bringing a stool and briefcase to one table just to perform for children. In all honesty, you should be able to perform for every age group working straight out of your pockets. I am just thinking of how the waiters/waitresses will move around you. Kids in a restaurant only need three tricks tops and you won't find many that don't understand a coin vanishing, cards changing color, sponge balls/bunnies appearing and multiplying.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Those are just examples of tricks for kids. There are tons more. Vanishing silk, chop cup, cardoon, floating dollar, color changing deck, card to pocket, bounce/no bounce-be careful how you present this(it's more of a drop than a bounce). My point is, you can work for everyone at the table just out of your pockets and there are many factors to consider before breaking out a suitcase and stool for what seems to be one or two tricks. Also, if the kids are too young to understand some of the effects listed, they might be too young to perform for.

I have NEVER turned down performing for young children while performing in a restaurant. However, I'll do one routine like the bunnies, move into working for the parents, then close with a chop cup where the kids help. Once again, just trying to give you some options and other views.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Good advice twistedace... thanks
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Of course you have to consider the restaurant you work in. Who ever said otherwise? I gave a suggestion of how I would switch a large coloring book for a large group which is what AdamChance asked.

I've worked restaurants for close to 30 years. I work table to table out of my pockets with no mat and no close up case. Occasionally there is a large group, as I mentioned, and it works better to do a few tricks from my kid's show for the whole group.

I've used a stool to hold a briefcase. I've even brought in my suitcase table that I use for my full kids show occasionally. I find a place for it and I check with the guests and waiter that I am not in the way. Never a problem. People love to see a large group of kids galvanized by a magic show. They appreciate that I'm actually making things run smoother in the restaurant.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Mike, I was in no way trying to insult you or your suggestions. Nobody said NOT to consider the restaurant before using the briefcase. I was simply reminding him to think about his own restaurant before using the briefcase idea. I worked an Applebe's for years and it wouldn't have worked there. I also worked a fine Italian restaurant for years, and it wouldn't have worked there either.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Having a stool and briefcase off the to the side might be useful in case you come across any large group (children or adult).

in fact, I should probably find some more tricks that work for larger groups anyways. almost all my tricks are really only good for about 6 people max.

the main tricks I plan on performing are: mini-chop cup, stand up monte, ambitious card (with some other fun signed card stuff). I'm going to have other tricks with me as well (both on my person and in a bag behind the bar or wherever), but my plan is to mainly perform these three tricks (probably only performing one or two of those tricks per table).

the two best tricks that I have at the moment that would work for a group of 10 people or more would probably be the Invisible Deck and Industrial Revelation.... and those ones still aren't great for a big group.

a standard size chop cup routine (maybe like Paul Daniel's routine) could work well for large groups of adults or kids... but I would want a platform that's slightly higher than the table so that everyone could see.

I've never learned any rope stuff... but maybe something like Fiber Optics would work for both large groups of adults and children also.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Lots of good threads here. With lots of wisdom, especially from Chris and Danny and others. Take a long afternoon and browse though them...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The invisible deck is GREAT for large audiences! Instead of working down, hold the cards at chest level so the faces are facing the spectators. This makes it even easier because you're looking at the odd/even cards! Bill Malone has an awesome handling called Standing Ovation Invisble Deck. Check it out! Fiber optics is a great choice. One other suggestion is the Egg Bag for large groups. Good luck!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ken Brooke used to pitch the Charlie Edwards book. It was a little bigger than a deck of cards and would be great for restaurants, or close-up.

I wonder if there is a market for something like this? I'd have some made up.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
You can always make your own coloring book. DAnny Orleans teaches this on his penguin lecture (I believe ) and on his art of performing DVD set. Great routine and I like how great the coloring book comes out and you can choose the theme. Does not scream PROP. you can also get a duplicate ungimmickdd copy.
I would really perform for walk around but do what you feel comfortable. More of a stage or parlor trick. Definately check out Danny 's handling is this classic of magic
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
"It's not about the steak...it's about the sizzle!"
-Danny Doyle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't wait for the time I walk into an upscale steak place and they charge me $20 for a piece of "sizzle".

S.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 12:44, spatrick wrote:
"It's not about the steak...it's about the sizzle!"
-Danny Doyle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't wait for the time I walk into an upscale steak place and they charge me $20 for a piece of "sizzle".

S.

They do it all the time.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I am aware of the blank coloring book used to hand out after doing the magic coloring book. You can do it. However, I would not for several reasons. First, why run when nobody is chasing you. In 20 years of performing the Coloring book, I have never been asked to see the book by anyone, kids or adults. Second. If you start trying to get people to examine your props, then the focus will be on your props and not how well you entertain. They may want to start examining all the stuff and that cuts into your show and the entertainment. Third. It is more stuff to carry around. Now you have to carry two books instead of one. You can do what you want. I just would not do it. Cheers!
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Always liked Ricky Jay's presentation and also his special version of the prop. Best version I've seen. The trick goes back before 1584.
madmalone
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of madmalone
Don't remember anyone asking to examine the coloring book neighter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Switching magic coloring book for the blank book? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL