We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Credit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thirdeye3
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of thirdeye3
When a person performs the c&b routine, does he ever give any verbal credit to the originator of the routine? Or does he just perform it?
Thanks
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It's a performance. It would be rather silly sounding to credit each and every effect you do. "And now I will perform for you "Twisting the Aces" published by Dai Vernon illustrating a move created by Alex Elmsley... etc..."

Credits are for books and videos, not performances.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
If you do your own routine you don't have to concern yourself with this at all.

Any routine you do should become your own, over time. If you don't feel the routine, in your bones, it isn't yours yet. I've seen a handful of people transcend the fact they learned another's sequence of moves and yet have their own routine. The pauses, the perfection of individual motions that have been blended into a seamless piece of magic, those tidbits make a memorized pile of moves into real magic.

Don't sweat mentioning the other magician who dreamt up the sequence you're using. He's dead and would forgive you anyway.

KG

PS Dave V. said it all though, really.
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
I never credit when performing for people - the audience don't care. The audience that might care, however, is my local magic club. Sometimes after the performance I might tell the other members where I learnt the trick, what book, etc. But that's because they're magicians, interested, and it gives the younger members some sources to look into if they so wish.

Magic performance isn't an essay requiring footnotes.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Quote:
On 2013-08-22 13:15, kentfgunn wrote:

Don't sweat mentioning the other magician who dreamt up the sequence you're using. He's dead and would forgive you anyway.

KG

Does this include the Fun Shop routine? Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
thirdeye3
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of thirdeye3
So, I watch a lot of c&b routines from many different performers and then try and blend it all together into my own routine and come up with a different load at the end, then it should be my routine. I bought a set of combo cups and the essentials dvd. I figure now I get the 3 volumes of c&b showing everyone else doing it and maybe a dvd on just the chop cup, and I should be set. Does that sound good?
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Magic J. Manuel,
That guy's still alive. Andrew Zuber does the routine quite well. I understand the originator is flattered and quite pleased.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Thirdeye-

That, and a few dozen years of practice, should do nicely.

Best wishes--
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2662 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2013-08-22 20:51, kentfgunn wrote:
Magic J. Manuel,
That guy's still alive. Andrew Zuber does the routine quite well. I understand the originator is flattered and quite pleased.

If you learn the routine, Kent will treat you to the Red Robin in San Bruno.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Musicians have had various approaches to this. Some credit every song. Others assume that their audience knows who recorded or wrote their favorite songs and figure that it's a waste of performing time. In either case, if they are playing in a venue that has an ASCAP/BMI/SESAC license, the owner of the song gets paid a royalty.

Besides, what if you are wrong? What if someone comes up to you right after you perform a routine that you think was worked out by Performer B, and he announces in a clarion tone, "Performer B pinched the routine from Performer A!"?

Just do the trick well, and don't bore the audience.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Yeah. What Bill said. Also-

I don't think it would play to well if I tell the audience how I came to build my teleportation device in my garage and how It teleports objects... blah, blah, blah and then show them a great routine. And the . Credit pop Haydn with inventing that trick. Kinda takes the mojo out of the trick.

That's why it important to purchase from the creators when possible. Buy performance rights when specified by the creator. Don't buy bootleg DVD's from China. That is crediting the creators (IMO).
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
BINGO!!!!!

:applause: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:applause: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:applause: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:applause: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:applause: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:applause: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:applause: Smile Smile Smile Smile
:applause: Smile Smile Smile
:applause: Smile Smile
:applause: Smile
:applause:
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bill.. not so loud Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Credit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL