The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How You'd Respond to This Question in Q&A (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
I'm rehearsing a Q&A routine for the first time, and thought of a question that I can anticipate a mentalist (or psychic) being asked. I'm wondering if any of the working pros out there have ever seen this one, and, if so, what they answered -- if they answered at all:

"How long do I have to live?" or "When will I die?"

I can see that a tactful response would be something like, "I see a long and healthy life for you," but I'm wondering what others might come up with.

Josh
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I don't know what others would say. But I would say something like... " no one can tell you how long you will live because when your time is up its up....but what I can say is your quality of life can be influenced by the choices you make on a daily basis ...by the way you look after yourself the food you eat the thoughts you have and the company you keep....if you strive to do your best to control these basic elements than I can see you living a healthy happy productive life....however if you don't I can see a different path for for you..."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10137 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Are you claiming to be clairvoyant?
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
Quote:
On 2013-08-22 15:21, Josho wrote:
I'm rehearsing a Q&A routine for the first time, and thought of a question that I can anticipate a mentalist (or psychic) being asked. I'm wondering if any of the working pros out there have ever seen this one, and, if so, what they answered -- if they answered at all:

"How long do I have to live?" or "When will I die?"

I can see that a tactful response would be something like, "I see a long and healthy life for you," but I'm wondering what others might come up with.

Josh

"I would not be so concerned about how LONG you have to live... I'd be more concerned about how WELL you have to live.... and you know EXACTLY what I mean."
Move on to next Q

Cheers
Frank
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I was in a room once where someone asked that question, and it was because he had cancer...

you can include the rules of what to ask, and what not to ask in your preamble...and even if its ignored, you can just place it to one side or dispose of it saying "that's nice...someone's drawn some genitalia.." or something similar at least..

after a tarot reading once, a guy asked me "so, do you know when I'm going to die?" but he said it with glee almost, we had a very interesting chat for about half an hour afterwards over what the tarot can and cannot enable you to do...
I've asked to be banned
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
330 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
I get asked that question when I do palm reading quite a bit. I always answer "Would you even really want to know that? I could rattle something off and then you could go and step in front of a bus, just to prove me wrong. I don't like telling people even in jest because either they become reckless and take risks they would not with a clear head, or they become obsessed about it and paralysed that their own mortality is rushing up on them. Given what I've seen in your hand I think that your are the former (or latter depending on what their hand looks like)"

But as for Q&A, I agree with Iain. Drop in a filler question and move on. You could even use something like "I have a question from a...Joe. Joe, your question is about timing isn't it? When somthing will finally happen. I thought so. I think that NOW is not the time, you've got a lot on your plate right now as it is, and even more you want to accomplish. I think you should focus more on THAT, rather than when this other thing will happen. It will take care of itself in it's own due time."

It answers their question, but also gives the audience a little slight of mouth in thinking it was about something else.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If I were forced to answer it, I'd say something like - "no I do not...but why do you need THAT question answered, when really the question you should be asking is 'what will it take for me to motivate myself and achieve as much as I can in my life?'"

that is, unless its because they are just scared or nervous about a situation...ultimately, I'd just go with the truth..."no, I cannot...and nor should you listen to those who claim that they can...".
I've asked to be banned
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
"I have no idea, I am never privileged to that information." always worked for me. It was succinct and I don't remember ever being questioned on it after that. The Querants seemed to accept that for an answer. I tend to think they are relieved that we don't know.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
bbarefoot
View Profile
Regular user
Johnstown, PA
121 Posts

Profile of bbarefoot
I believe Paul Voodini discussed this in "Reader of Minds", and I cannot recommend it enough. The basic, lay down rules at the start. Explain that you are not a medical professional, and due to that fact, you may not be able to properly interpret the impressions, etc and therefore will not answer questions dealing with health or longevity.

Then if you are still asked, remind them of the rule, recommend they consult with their doctor to work on their health management. Then, if you are able, you can ask them if there is another question you could answer for them.

best of luck,
Brad
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Moderncelt, thank you. I remember the first time I was asked a question like that, I panicked! I droped the lady's hand and backed out stammering. All that because I had read a word in her mind!
Now I say something like, my anwser would influence the future and hence become wrong... But the way you phrase it is excellent!
With your permission, I'll borrow both of your ideas (and rephrase them with my own words, of course). Very good!
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
andyfisher
View Profile
Veteran user
Norwich, UK
319 Posts

Profile of andyfisher
'It's ironic isn't it that we spend the first half of our lives rushing towards tomorrow without really valuing today, and then the second half worrying that there are not enough tomorrow's left to come! I cannot give you a number in days, months or years because I only see the paths we are most likely to tread, there is no single fixed track which we are travelling along. What I can tell you is that all of us would live richer lives if we followed the old samurai maxim - 'plan as if you are going to live forever, but live as if you are going to die tomorrow'. I hope that the days ahead are plentiful and bountiful and thank you for having the courage to ask such a fundamental question.'
'Reading people and bringing them together'

www.doodlemeatree.com
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Approaches depends on context. I see basically 2 possible situations:
1. 1-on-1 Q&A
2. On stage, on a group reading

Place question`s criteria before let the participant to say/think a question is a good idea, but sometimes a person really wants to know from your perspective and see if you can help him. In this case the advice of being careful its very necessary. Your participant/client wants atenttion and feel that other being can understand his worry.
Regarding stage, I had a few ones regarding health (nothing too serious about death), but in this cases I obviously invite the participant to take care of his mind and body, to go to his doctor and to enjoy life in every dimension. Also this is a good position to offer private readings (if you work like this)

On stage, is nice also to answer questions in a written form or invite the participant to stage and whisper your answer. This creates another dramatic image that can be remarkable.

Bottom line, be open, listen to the person with an empathic/compationate state of mind/heart and be flexible with your words, always positive. Not every health question is the same.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
330 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
LCervier Feel free to use it as you wish. Glad you like it.

Jean-Robert
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Since the act is called Q&A, it's not suprising that many newcomers assume that means answering questions. That is basically what the old timers did. While that approach is still used by some today, it really doesn't fit the persona of one who simply claims to be a mind reader. (Rather than a foreseer of the future.)

I have always preferred to call the presentation "audience readings." I've gone into great lengths about this in my Q&A workshops and teleseminars.

People don't write questions. Instead they are asked to write interesting bits of information about themselves. Later, the information is fed back to them AS if they wrote it in the form of a question.

This is pretty much the modern approach since the days of Dunninger.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Agree with Mr. Cassidy here.

However, if asked this when doing palm reading though...

Just answer.

"You will have a long good life."

Since "long" is subjective, what's the worse that could happen?

Even if it turns out they've just been diagnosed with a terminal illness, which is why they're asking, should you not impart positivity into their psyche?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
As far as my experience has taken me, people just want the positive response to this question. By saying "I see a long healthy life for you," you are giving them confidence! Also, if they do happen to die sooner than later, I really don't think they'll hold it against you...
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Funny, I just happened to be watching "Leap Of Faith," which I hadn't seen in years.
This very question comes up and Steve Martin's character handles it beautifully.

In fact, apart from its weak 3rd act, the movie really is a terrific rewatch, given all the Ricky Jay consulted content.

e
Kozzi
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Kozzi
I've just finished reading the Sandman comic series by Neil Gaiman and one quote instantly comes to mind...

"A lifetime. No more, no less."
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
On 2013-08-22 19:18, Moderncelt wrote:
LCervier Feel free to use it as you wish. Glad you like it.

Jean-Robert

Thank you Smile

What Bob Cassidy suggests sounds less risky, but even when you don't want to do an "old fashioned" Q&A, even you don't claim any supernatural powers, some people will assume you have such abilities anyway! I guess it's the same with you. I even have a friend who's your usual close-up table-hopping magician --some people ask him about their future too! After card tricks! ;-))

So, it's always good to be ready.
("semper parati", yes, I was a boy-scout ;-)

Jean-Manuel
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
manofcards
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of manofcards
Josho - Two fantastic resources for a Q&A act are Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism and Arthur Buckley's Gems of Mental Magic.

-William
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How You'd Respond to This Question in Q&A (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL