The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » A new Kneepal in the house. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
So I had no intention of buying any more figures, but then this one popped up on the Vent Central marketplace....I always liked these particular Kneepal figures (Lovik), and that along with the very low asking price, even with the issues it had, made it impossible to resist.
I've had a couple of these before, although not with the extra animations this one has which are raising eyebrows and a winker and blinkers.

The issues: the seller posted that there is a crack in one cheek, the one eyebrow doesn't completely return to it's starting position and the mouth doesn't open. Even without seeing it, I know these are not complicated repairs. Upon recieveing it yesterday, I found the headstick to be loose enough to turn it slightly, undoubtedly glued in and lost the seal, again, an easy fix.
Aside from the general look, one of the things I've always liked about these figures is the hands. Most molded hands are basically cupped, while these are not;

The controls are a little different than expected. Any figure I've had with winkers/blinkers, there was a lever for each winker and depressing them both at the same time gave you the blinking effect.
On this one, there is only one winker (her right eye) and there is one lever for that, and then there is one lever that controls the blinking effect completely and independently of the lever for the the one winker. Others may have seen this before, but I have not until getting this figure.
In this pic, the lever in the back is for the eyebrows, the one in the middle is for the one winker, and the one in the front is for the blinkers;

These figures also have very nice made and sturdy bodies, with a shaped and padded shoulder board, and they sit nicely by themselves.
The only other "issue" is that my original intention was to make this a boy figure, which it may have originally been, no way to know for sure. They did make a girl model in these originally, if this one hadn't been repainted along the way, it might have been easier to tell, or not, since the only real difference between a boy and girl figure was the wig and clothes. Where the issue come is, is that this is a very cute girl figure, I almost hate to do away with that, but I would never be able to use it because I can't do a female voice. So my options will be to repair it and either keep it as girl figure and just have it be a female figure added to my now small collection or sell it, or turn it into a boy figure as originally planned.
I'll update this thread when I've decided and when I've completed repairs, although that will be a while as I have other projects that are ahead of repairing this figure.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
It looks like the blinkers are covered in fabric.. Or something textured.. Is that correct or just an illusion of the pic?
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

They're not covered in anything, but they are textured.

Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
I saw her listing. She's kind of cute. Great score there. She'd make a very cute boy figure too
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Very cute Dave. Nice buy plus you get to get out in the shop and work! Smile
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Is it a vacuformed plastic for the lids?
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-25 07:17, Aussie wrote:
I saw her listing. She's kind of cute. Great score there. She'd make a very cute boy figure too

In my posting on facebook, comments were definitely for leaving it a girl, (but I can't do a girl's voice).

Quote:
On 2013-08-25 14:04, manal wrote:
Very cute Dave. Nice buy plus you get to get out in the shop and work! Smile

Oh, I didn't need to buy a project to get out to the shop, got a long list of things I want to make, working on two of them now, that's why she's ging to sit a while before I get around to fixing her.

Quote:
On 2013-08-25 15:45, damien666 wrote:
Is it a vacuformed plastic for the lids?

No, the lids are leather which really surprised me. I assumed this figure is molded, but it almost makes me wonder if I shouldn't be popping off the back of the head to see if it's wood.

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Okay, I popped the head, and it's as I thought, it's a hard latex material. I knew that, like I wrote, I had a couple of these figures before.

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

So, since I had the back of the head off, decided to take a picture of the mechanics, nothing special, but interesting to look at nonetheless;

Last couple days I've been getting buyer's remorse though, starting to feel like I got too many figures around again, the past year I've been selling off figures I had to not have that feeling any more....will probably definitely be selling it once it's repaired, or may put it up for sale as it is, let someone else do the work and that will be one more project I can cross off the list I've been trying to whittle away at.

Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I can't do a girl voice either. My wife says I really need a female character in the act, but I always sound like Bugs Bunny's female impersonation when I try to do it. Funny, but unconvincing. I told my wife that I could say that "Fluffy" ( my silent, rabbit in a hat character ) is a girl, but my wife didn't think that was good enough. I just don't do a convincing girl voice.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
By the way, that is a very cute figure. I think maybe she should be left a girl, but I also think it could be changed to a very young boy, like 4 years old. You could do very innocent humor, like a little kid who guilelessly tells embarrassing secrets about his parents.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I can't do a girl voice either. I had bought a great girl figure from Kem Poyner the year I went to the conventon. Her look was perfect, I had her character all planned, but I neglected to really work on seeing if I could do a girl's voice. No matter how I tried, to me, I still sound like a guy trying to do a girl's voice, and if I couldn't believe it, I couldn't expect anyone else to believe it. So I ended up selling that figure - sadly.

I believe this one is going to go right back up for sale as soon as I get around to listing it. I've been regretting getting it for 3 reasons (in order of importance);
1. I've recently started working away on a list of ideas I've had for things I want to make, and that's where all of my interest is now, not in repairing someone else's creation. So this will be sitting in a box for a very loooong time before I even think about working on it.
2. I've been thinning out the number of figures I have, buying this is contrary to that goal.
3. My original plan was to make this a boy figure, but everyone says it's a very cute girl figure and it should not be changed, and I totally agree - but I have no use for a girl figure.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » A new Kneepal in the house. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL