The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Socratic Method (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tcpAz
View Profile
New user
Portugal
33 Posts

Profile of tcpAz
Hello!

I am working and training myself on readings. However, looking into my own beliefs and my persona, I've decided the only way I'd feel comfortable giving readings, which could include Tarots and others if the client feels more comfortable that way, is using the Socratic Method, so there is no issue with telling clients this or that, but instead using the skills one acquires to lead them down a path. This way, it's not about me, it's about them, they do the work and I think it'll stick and be more powerful that way.

Anyone doing this? Do you think people would accept such a thing? Using the Tarot I would not pretend to be psychic but I think it'd be counter-productive to then go "the Tarot was just for show" if they believe in it. This whole "if they believe in it, it's fine" makes me feel dangerously close to the moral ground of "I talk to the dead, because it helps them", so I may be walking on a thin line.

Just some thoughts.

Paulo
andyfisher
View Profile
Veteran user
Norwich, UK
319 Posts

Profile of andyfisher
Hi Paulo

I would recommend looking at Enrique Enriquez' material - particularly 'Invisible Readings' and 'Invisible Tarot' which might resonate with the approach you are considering. I would always advocate a Socratic dialogue of sorts with a querent but do bear in mind that many people want to be told rather than do the leg work to arrive at the answers for themselves! Perhaps a balance can be struck between the two...or be selective about your client base and how you market your services. I wish you every success Smile
'Reading people and bringing them together'

www.doodlemeatree.com
tcpAz
View Profile
New user
Portugal
33 Posts

Profile of tcpAz
From my point of view, I'd love people to feel more empowered when they understand it wasn't me, it was them, like realising you're on a placebo and getting a boost out of knowing "hey, so all I've done so far, no matter how small, was my own doing".

But I do understand that some people prefer to be told, I'd imagine it's a responsibility thing, they shift it to you?

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I'm going to check them out!

Paulo
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Andy is spot on here. EEs work is essential if you would like to move toward a more dialogic approach. The middle road between telling and discussing can involve some helpful 'pegs' for the client to work with, but a co-created approach is an excellent way to engage in readings.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Socratic Method (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.51 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL