The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » Morrissey Magic Closing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matman
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Matman
Hello all,

I just received an update from VanishLive that Morrissey will close.

http://www.vanishlive.com/2013/08/23/bre......o-close/

Sad news.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Yes, true unfortunately. Was in the shop yesterday and said my goodbyes to Dan and Phoebe. Sad to see this Canadian magic icon close, but a sign of the times. The good news is that Dan and Phoebe have made some wonderful plans for the next phase of their lives and are excited to move on.

John
Matman
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Matman
Will they keep an on-line store?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Does this mean that their online business, as well as the brick and mortar shop, is closing?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Yes, I believe both will be closed. They are moving on to other things.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Wow, sad news. I remember them when they were located in Montreal in the 1970's, before they moved to Toronto.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
poonchingyip
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
419 Posts

Profile of poonchingyip
I just went to Morrissey Magic this morning, and I was shocked when I heard the news. I still remember how I hanged out with my friends in there when I was still in high school.

Wish Dan and his family will have a wonderful journey in the future!!

- Arthur
trilam
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
65 Posts

Profile of trilam
My first visit to a magic shop was Morrissey's when they were on Decelle Street in Montreal. I remember how helpful Herb was on that first visit and every visit later. That first visit was 38 years ago. They then moved to St-Croix Street for several years before packing up and heading down the 401 to set up on Dufferin. I've made it a point to drop in any time I was in Toronto and say hi to Dan and to stock up on supplies (always need more mouth coils and flash paper!). Too bad to see the end of an institution. Best of luck to Dan and family on their new adventures. Thanks for serving the magic community in Montreal and Toronto (and well beyond) for so many years.
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
I just got an email from D. Robbins that they have purchased all the remaining stock from Morrissey so I imagine the dove pans and the cups and balls will no longer be available after this stock is gone.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
jacoblucas
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of jacoblucas
Sad news but I hope they meet again as new with in magic
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
My first visit to Morrisey's was also on Decelle St. in Montreal. So sad to see them closing. Best of luck to everyone.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Wow sad news. Now I'm looking for a new supplier in Canada to carry my line.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Revel Rob
View Profile
New user
Toronto
50 Posts

Profile of Revel Rob
Wow, I just heard about this now. That's very unfortunate news. Best of luck to Dan and Phoebe!
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
But your all in luck! because just down the street from where Morrisseys used to be is Browsers den of magic here is website for info http://www.browsersden.com
MagicBrain
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of MagicBrain
Does someone knows why this great shop have been closed ?
Mike Webb
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Mike Webb
Quote:
On 2014-01-03 21:32, MagicBrain wrote:
Does someone knows why this great shop have been closed ?

Time to retire.
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
Hard to do business nowadays
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I was so sorry to hear this. I grew up just down the street from the Toronto store. I was so happy that a magic shop opened close by to where I lived.
There was no internet back then, so it was the easiest and best way to buy magic. I'm sure I was there the first week they opened, must have been around '78-79".
I remember being so happy. Thanks for the memories of being a teenager and the wonderment that store held for me. RIP Herb.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Yes, they had a great run of 50+ years. Ultimately they decided on a different direction for the next phase of thier lives and hard to blame anybody for doing that. Running a Brick and Mortar shop has to be very challenging today. Thankfully Toronto still has the Browser's Den of Magic down the Street and owner Jeff Pinsky works hard to keep the shop successful and relevant in today's magic world.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » Morrissey Magic Closing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL