The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2013 entrée: Ryan Schlutz » » Ryan Schlutz: A quick look... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Ryan Schlutz – Magician:

I started in Magic in the third grade when my mom taught me my first trick. Since that age I was always fascinated with magic but didn’t take it serious until High School. I was influenced, like a lot of magicians, by that Michael Ammar Easy to Master series until I purchased on a whim the Martin Nash VHS series. Mr Nash blew me away! His work on sleights, crimps and controls were eye opening. Back then I thought that good magic meant that it had to be difficult. As I grew I became drawn to “Self Working” / hands off magic. Some of the best effects I have been fooled with involved absolutely zero moves. The most influential magician to me in this field was Eddie Fields. Eddie would destroy a room of magicians and laymen alike with the simplest magic. But in his hands, it was a masterpiece. I wanted to achieve the level of miracle Eddie did without all the counting, dealing and procedure most Self working cards entail.

My attempt at this was Sense-Sational. I wanted a way to have 3 cards selected and found in the fairest way possible BUT - it had to be self-working and fooling to a laymen or magicians. It was a hard task to accomplish but after many ideas I had Sense-Sational. The principles I used were not new. Instead, it was how I routined them that masked the methods and it then became a very fooling effect.

Since Sense-Sational I became obsessed with hands-off magic and exploiting small principles. Even when I read someone else’s effect that involves a sleight I find it fun to see if I can eliminate the need for the sleight. Usually in doing so you come up with completely new approaches / combination to subtleties that haven’t been done before and you have an amazing effect on yours hands. My new DVD “Miracles Without Moves” showcases 7 such effects in which I took principles known or barely known to the magic community and turned them upside down to create very fooling and astonishing effects.

Type Of Performances:

I learn my style through Strolling Gigs and restaurant work. I really enjoy having close contact with spectators. Working restaurants was an invaluable skill to acquire because there are so many dynamics it forces you to be smart and QUICK. Pocket management became an essential to survive and effect structure highly important. About 90% of the material in my book was created though table hopping. I needed quick, strong and visual tricks that require no table space and could be followed with ease. This same formula rings true with my newer material except for being visual. Instead of giving my audience visual eye candy I bring it straight to their brain to have the most impact.

Releases (So Far...):

• Sprung & Dagger - Murphy's Magic
  • Making the cut Book - VI, Murphy's and Penguin
  • Completing the Cut DVD - VI & Penguin
  • Miracles without Moves DVD : BBM
  • Penguin live Lecture : Penguin
  • Pivotal Peek Download - Trcky
  • Sensational Download - VI
  • Self Workers Vol 2 DVD: BBM
  • Reel Magic Magazine : move monkey competition winner

---
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2013 entrée: Ryan Schlutz » » Ryan Schlutz: A quick look... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL