The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2013 entrée: Ryan Schlutz » » Favorite Plot » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the Café. I really enjoyed your book Making the Cut.
Is there a favorite plot you like working on?

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Thanks Craig. So glad you enjoyed my book. It was a long time in the making.

I never considered myself to be a plot driven person but your question had me think through my effects and realize I am more drawn towards the mystery card plot. I don’t think I attack the plot head on but instead indirectly. For instance in my book Making the Cut I have the effect Insignia. The effect from the audience perspective might be that their signed card fuses to the back of my name badge. However, I look at the effect as the name badge was in view from the start and it was in fact their signed card all along. Make Sense? So instead of introducing the Mystery Card at the beginning as the normal plot does I instead have it in plain sight but they don’t know the significance of it until it is too late --- which I love!

Another example is on my new DVD Miracles without Moves. I do a version of pre-configuration based on Ramon Rioboo effect “One in the Side Pocket”. In my version the person freely picks any card from the start and holds it to their chest without looking at it. Then through various other means they locate the 4 of Spades, Clubs and Hearts and finally they look at the card they choose at the start and it is the 4 of Diamonds. To me this effect is less about the cards matching and more focus on the mystery of the card they choose from the beginning.

What type of plot are focused on? Is their a particular effect out of Making the Cut you enjoyed most?

Ryan
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Ryan, sorry for taking so long with a reply. I left for Sweden on Sunday and a much needed vacation. This is my fist time logging on the Café since arriving. Hoping to see Tom Stone at the Magic Bar here this week.

Fraternal Bond and Sprung & Dagger are just a couple I really liked from your book. Haven't picked the DVD up yet, but plan to.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Quote:
On 2013-08-25 12:54, RSchlutz wrote:
Thanks Craig. So glad you enjoyed my book. It was a long time in the making.

I never considered myself to be a plot driven person but your question had me think through my effects and realize I am more drawn towards the mystery card plot. I don’t think I attack the plot head on but instead indirectly. For instance in my book Making the Cut I have the effect Insignia. The effect from the audience perspective might be that their signed card fuses to the back of my name badge. However, I look at the effect as the name badge was in view from the start and it was in fact their signed card all along. Make Sense? So instead of introducing the Mystery Card at the beginning as the normal plot does I instead have it in plain sight but they don’t know the significance of it until it is too late --- which I love!

Another example is on my new DVD Miracles without Moves. I do a version of pre-configuration based on Ramon Rioboo effect “One in the Side Pocket”. In my version the person freely picks any card from the start and holds it to their chest without looking at it. Then through various other means they locate the 4 of Spades, Clubs and Hearts and finally they look at the card they choose at the start and it is the 4 of Diamonds. To me this effect is less about the cards matching and more focus on the mystery of the card they choose from the beginning.

What type of plot are focused on? Is their a particular effect out of Making the Cut you enjoyed most?

Ryan
Hey Buddy!
Congrats on the kudos your work is getting. Really well deserved. Can't beat a good mystery card eh?;-)

All the best

John
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Thanks John.... Your still one of my main inspirations!

Ryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2013 entrée: Ryan Schlutz » » Favorite Plot » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL