The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For IPCC Advocates Only.....Others need not respond (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 09:05, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Pastafarians are insulted.

No pasta for you, Jon.

Then I shall atone with a plate of Swedish meatballs over linguini tonight. Adding to AGW by cooking.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 06:33, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
AGW is a fundamental belief held as true in the stated position of the IPCC.

What do you mean by this. In the fourth report, a statement is made that "Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, as is now
evident from observations of increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice and rising global average sea level (Figure 1.1). {WGI 3.2, 4.8, 5.2, 5.5, SPM}"

They then provide evidence for this.

Quote:
If you're following the dictates of the IPCC - you're been compelled. The chicken has crossed the road.
This is about compulsion. Rationalizing in circles to believe your inner motivations are shared by others is off topic.

What do you mean by "dictates"? IPCC has no authority to dictate. It provides reports. Anyone is free to dispute the contents of the reports. And many do.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

I see it as science doing prophesy for money and compliance. In 1970 we had "can man survive". In 1997 we had Burke's "after the warming". Today we have the ipcc with new and improved stastics. The message of ecological reform and population pressures reads as an elaboration of points made in Clarke's book about the future.

Oil was last century. The flow of electricity is today. The flow of potable water may be tomorrow's issue. Using science to move social programs remains a challenge after some notable misfires including eugenics, evolution and the population bomb.

Agent of Milgram?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Jonathan-

Your answers seem to indicate that you don't accept AGW findings.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 11:22, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I see it as science doing prophesy for money and compliance. In 1970 we had "can man survive". In 1997 we had Burke's "after the warming". Today we have the ipcc with new and improved stastics. The message of ecological reform and population pressures reads as an elaboration of points made in Clarke's book about the future.

Oil was last century. The flow of electricity is today. The flow of potable water may be tomorrow's issue. Using science to move social programs remains a challenge after some notable misfires including eugenics, evolution and the population bomb.

Agent of Milgram?

Of all people to succumb to totalizing discourses; I least expected you, Jon!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Getting to the science, and the argument about our climate...

I recall only two winters with snow mid-December and only one where someone made a snow igloo in the park. It seems dryer - larger temperature ranges in a day.

I feel that's a good approach toward making a compelling argument for anthropogenic climate change... Contrasting what we've seen in our generation with what's recalled in our records since the last ice age.

How much did we change the smog over NYC and Los Angeles? What of red tides and overfishing?

Not promoting alarmism - just uncomfortable with the interface between the research groups and social policy.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Totally by coincidence the Guardian published an article on topic as well... today's ironic reference: Science diplomacy

Is twerk the new tweet?
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
This is a test, only a test to see if the "Mods" will delete my post.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For IPCC Advocates Only.....Others need not respond (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL